• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show |OT| So good, 2K wishes they were on the biogenesis report

Okay, so there are no deals at all to anyone's knowledge?

I can't find any, so I think I'm going to go get it tonight and just pay full price at BB. (and hold off on the Vita version for now, since they don't seem to offer the $80 bundle post launch and neither does Amazon).

FrankWza

Okay, so there are no deals at all to anyone's knowledge?

I can't find any, so I think I'm going to go get it tonight and just pay full price at BB. (and hold off on the Vita version for now, since they don't seem to offer the $80 bundle post launch and neither does Amazon).

you can get both separately for the $80 deal if you want to go ebay. ive seen prices for ps3 sub $50 shipped and vita for about $35 shipped.

G-Fex

I got the Vita version.

I haven't a clue how i'd go about getting footage, I'm guessing I'd have to record off my iphone.

abrack08

He's doubting you because you said you weren't sure if you would notice the problem, then basically said it wasn't a problem.

But obviously the guy who saw a few pitches on his friends copy knows more about the framerate than the people who've played a bunch of games. I haven't played the vita version so he could be right for all I know, just sayin'...

abrack08

Does anybody know what determines what type of hitter you are in RTTS (push/pull and the percentages)? And the hot/cold zones? I wanted to be a Push hitter, and I got lucky I guess because my hitter is one, I'm just not sure why. I didn't notice it asking me during the creation process. Is it just based on the batting stance?

bradigor

Should be getting this in the next day or two, as I won a copy from the EU PS Blog.

Quick question about playing between the PS3 and Vita versions. I know you can do cross-save for different modes, but in terms of actual gameplay, how similar is it? If I were to start on the PS3 and get used to how it controls, would it differ much on the Vita version?

Edit: Nevermind, saw some posts above.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in, needed a change from MLB 2K#

eznark

Banned
He's doubting you because you said you weren't sure if you would notice the problem, then basically said it wasn't a problem.

But obviously the guy who saw a few pitches on his friends copy knows more about the framerate than the people who've played a bunch of games. I haven't played the vita version so he could be right for all I know, just sayin'...

I didn't say there wasn't a problem, I said it plays pretty much identical to me on both versions.

I played a bunch on PS3 yesterday and did notice one huge difference, it's hard as fuck to check swing with the crappy sticks on the Vita.

Bog

Junior Ace
I didn't say there wasn't a problem, I said it plays pretty much identical to me on both versions.

I played a bunch on PS3 yesterday and did notice one huge difference, it's hard as fuck to check swing with the crappy sticks on the Vita.

Your first problem is swinging with the sticks.

chualie

Hm, I haven't played much RTTS on the PS3, I was referring specifically to the Vita version. Nice to know that it's happening on the PS3 though! Are you sure those are the cross play enabled saves?

I have no clue. I know that cross play enabled saves had to be done manually for last year's edition so maybe they haven't addressed it yet.

I have no clue. I know that cross play enabled saves had to be done manually for last year's edition so maybe they haven't addressed it yet.

I've had to manually upload my cross play saves from both my PS3 and Vita. They seem to use separate cloud servers than the automatic save uploads that you can enable with PS+.

Been monitoring Bobhead's Slider Discussion thread on Operation Sports. Great points/observations brought up, I'm still reading about rocket armed, speedy OFs even with the ball physics change (balls actually reach the wall instead of dying). Whenever I pick the game up I see the Arm Strength/OF Speed slider will have to go down to 3 and the OF speed slider to possibly 1.

Been monitoring Bobhead's Slider Discussion thread on Operation Sports. Great points/observations brought up, I'm still reading about rocket armed, speedy OFs even with the ball physics change (balls actually reach the wall instead of dying). Whenever I pick the game up I see the Arm Strength/OF Speed slider will have to go down to 3 and the OF speed slider to possibly 1.

Yeah, I'm feeling much the same way about OF Speed. They are quick to track just about anything down.

With it getting closer to League time and people asking more questions I decided to get cranking on research on sliders/changes from past years. Here's also a good link for Slider tweakers on exactly what does what.

- MLB 13 had said that they opened up the Timing window to allow better more/better contact and have more offense. How come I haven't heard anything about them drastically lowering Pitch Speed? From all account Default Pitch Speed this year is like 1 or 0 last year. People are jacking that up to 7-8 on almost every slider set I've seen, there's even a thread on it.

There's going to have to be some kind of balance with Timing and Pitch Speed, because itch Speed having to be raised... that's been at 2 or 3 for years. That's a massive change.

zonipoi

Had a 3 hour session on RTTS last night on Vita. After 15 games I'm hitting over .500 in Double-AA without adjusting the sliders. I remember that I hit only .300 on Double-AA in the last year's game after adjusting the sliders a bit to make batting easier. To be fair MLB 12 was my first baseball game. Difficulty is on experienced.

Is it easier this year or have I just gotten better? Also has there been any roster updates yet? I imported last year's game and couldn't get the roster updates to work but I have the PAL version this time. Orioles lineup has some interesting assumptions and Orioles are so badly underrated in this that it's not funny.

Had a 3 hour session on RTTS last night on Vita. After 15 games I'm hitting over .500 in Double-AA without adjusting the sliders. I remember that I hit only .300 on Double-AA in the last year's game after adjusting the sliders a bit to make batting easier. To be fair MLB 12 was my first baseball game. Difficulty is on experienced.

Is it easier this year or have I just gotten better? Also has there been any roster updates yet? I imported last year's game and couldn't get the roster updates to work but I have the PAL version this time. Orioles lineup has some interesting assumptions and Orioles are so badly underrated in this that it's not funny.
As it's been said earlier (and even in my post :p) hitting on Default is much easier due to "the Timing window being opened up".

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing on Vita, on default, and the pitcher (in 4 games) hasn't thrown a single ball at me. I think I need to adjust some things.

kingocfs

I've been playing on Vita, on default, and the pitcher (in 4 games) hasn't thrown a single ball at me. I think I need to adjust some things.

Yeah I definitely need to play with the sliders now that I've shaken some rust off. Playing default sliders on All Star and getting first pitch fastballs down the middle to start every single inning.

There's going to have to be some kind of balance with Timing and Pitch Speed, because itch Speed having to be raised... that's been at 2 or 3 for years. That's a massive change.

The sliders I'm seeing on OS seem to all be based on All Star difficulty to offset the speed change, which is basically just pumping it up to 9 or 10.

zonipoi

As it's been said earlier (and even in my post :p) hitting on Default is much easier due to "the Timing window being opened up".

I did read it but somehow it didn't register, sorry. :)

Ball/strike ratio does seem to be off too on default. It's hard not to swing at the first pitch as it's 90% of the time fastball down the middle. Should try to find good sliders but I'm going to miss my over .500 hitting star.

friz898

Anyone else having lock ups in the middle of a game?

No, not in 200 games of RttS.

I am seeing more frame rate dips more often though. I'm not sure why I am seeing more now as opposed to the beginning of my time with MLB.

I think maybe because I'm no longer in Double A and MLB stadiums have more fans, more interaction, and more graphics in the stadiums.

The only slowdown I ever get is during home run trots..... but I'm just owning up to the fact that it's there, so I don't come off as a total Vita fanboy.

That being said, it's still 'omg-amazing' and 'must-buy for Vita' if you are a baseball fan.

Riggs

Banned
So here was my first game of MLB The Show 13, I bought on release day but could not share since I was banned.

Pitcher a perfect game w/ John Lester against the NY Yankee's in their own house. Felt so fucking good man. Too bad I had difficulty on beginner! I wanted to try the progression mode, but it was pretty lame. I just put the game back to All Star like I always have it , I will never pitch a perfect game again most likely. But it still felt good as hell to do that on opening day, even if it was on super cheese mode.

This game is so ace, my only complaint is that I really do not like the Red Sox roster, but that has nothing to do with the game. Other then that, another year of perfection. I really feel bad for the people forced to play MLB 2k, such a disservice to the game.

I would play you guys online but it's a total shit/lag fest as usual, the only real complaint I have is the online is horrible. They never fix it, it's all p2p I assume. Played a friend on 40 down / 6 up, I am on 55MBPS down / 5 MBPS up ... and we had horrible lag. I don't buy this game to play online though so I have stopped caring, all about season mode for me!

Anyway enjoy the game guys.

PS3 / No lock ups btw. Frame rate dips when throwing to 1st sometimes.

demolitio

Anyone else having lock ups in the middle of a game?

The Vita version tends to crash on me in RTTS every once in a while, but nothing else. Although it did lock up a few times on PS3 last year so I wouldn't be surprised.

It's amazing going from the Vita version back to the PS3 version and kicking my friend's ass. I'm so used to hitting on the Vita that it's extremely easy to track the ball on PS3 and make good contact. My new strategy is to warm up on Vita before we play. :D

I'd be very careful thinking the game's hitting is easier.

I mean, it is. Objectively, it is. But it's still The Show; and by that I mean it's still baseball.

With a big enough sample size, on a long enough timeline, the game will always come down to the difference between taking that shitty pitch to give you a 2-1 hitter's count or flailing at it to fall behind 1-2. "Woah! Looks like he's swinging a garden hose!"

Misjudging a pitch by a goddamn nose hair is the difference between 2 men on with 1 out and an inning-ending double-play.

My advice has always been, if you're mashing, just mash. Let it happen. The '84 Tigers started 35-5. Let the season tell its story. If your first baseman is primed to hit for .385 and 60 HR, let him. The second you start thinking "Oh man his batting average is too high" is the second you start subconsciously not wanting to get hits. Next thing you know, you're not giving a shit about any of the at-bats. Next thing you know, you've lost four straight games and your stud is 2 for his last 28 and even a 5-for-5 won't get him over the .280 mark anymore.

Just be careful. "Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher."

And for the love of God, once you decide on a Slider set the beginning of the year unless you see a game-breaking flaw/30 games worth of data do not adjust them. Before you know it you'll be tweaking every other game and it ruins the flow.

BTW the Operation Sports Full Minors Roster is "about 40% done" according to MKnight165. It's usually done 1-2 days after MLB Opening Day.

FrankWza

No, not in 200 games of RttS.

I am seeing more frame rate dips more often though. I'm not sure why I am seeing more now as opposed to the beginning of my time with MLB.

I think maybe because I'm no longer in Double A and MLB stadiums have more fans, more interaction, and more graphics in the stadiums.

The only slowdown I ever get is during home run trots..... but I'm just owning up to the fact that it's there, so I don't come off as a total Vita fanboy.

That being said, it's still 'omg-amazing' and 'must-buy for Vita' if you are a baseball fan.

i just popped back in and saw this. see. i knew the Vita version had frame rate issues again. i was the only one there for a while. though mine was during batter/pitcher. it is holding me back from getting the Vita version. that and i was able to get the PS3 real cheap so now i want a great deal on the Vita.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I have a few questions regarding the game this year. I've played RTTS for the past 5 years in this series, but this years seems to be the biggest difference in terms of UI and front end. Is there not supposed to be play by play when I'm playing in AA? I only hear sound clips after the play and it sounds like the voices are altered to be coming out of a radio?

Also, yeah I'm a guess pitch noob cause even after 30 seasons in RTTS over the years, I still can't figure out what pitch is coming at me and I strike out way too often (at least 20% of my at bats are SO's), but this year's guess pitch is weird and I can't figure out how to make it act like the previous ones. Before, you could guess location and pitch type, and if you were correct on either, it'd let you know. Now, you have to guess both correctly for it to trigger, what gives?

I can't figure out the difference between "Default" and "Classic PCI" either.

EDIT - Ah ok, I found this dev blog...

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?t=19206

That explains a lot about the guess pitch changes, but is there no way to go back to the old system?

friz898

Ya, they changed the way announcing works for RttS, doesn't matter if you're batting or whatever, you will not hear the announcers any more except for in between innings. They were shooting for the more realistic sounds factor for immersion the way it is done in other games. Normal games has pitch by pitch though

Ok, I have a few questions regarding the game this year. I've played RTTS for the past 5 years in this series, but this years seems to be the biggest difference in terms of UI and front end. Is there not supposed to be play by play when I'm playing in AA? I only hear sound clips after the play and it sounds like the voices are altered to be coming out of a radio?

Also, yeah I'm a guess pitch noob cause even after 30 seasons in RTTS over the years, I still can't figure out what pitch is coming at me and I strike out way too often (at least 20% of my at bats are SO's), but this year's guess pitch is weird and I can't figure out how to make it act like the previous ones. Before, you could guess location and pitch type, and if you were correct on either, it'd let you know. Now, you have to guess both correctly for it to trigger, what gives?

I can't figure out the difference between "Default" and "Classic PCI" either.

EDIT - Ah ok, I found this dev blog...

http://forums.theshownation.com/showthread.php?t=19206

That explains a lot about the guess pitch changes, but is there no way to go back to the old system?

eznark

Banned

i just popped back in and saw this. see. i knew the Vita version had frame rate issues again. i was the only one there for a while. though mine was during batter/pitcher. it is holding me back from getting the Vita version. that and i was able to get the PS3 real cheap so now i want a great deal on the Vita.

lol

Can anyone tell me what the XP i earn playing season or exhibition in the Vita version does or how I view it, or use it?

I believe that it goes towards your global user lever. It's just a way to show how much you've played and how much of each mode. I know when you are in RttS you can hit select it brings up a menu that has a number at the top. Highlight it and press X and it should bring up a screen that will break down your earned XP.

FrankWza

Originally Posted by FrankWza:

see my bold. you already said you could not tell the difference on a handheld. just because you have something it does not mean it is perfect. it can still have flaws for you to enjoy it. but rose colored glasses.....

im not condemning it. it just does not have equal frame rate performance. i would say ps3 50-60, vita 20-30. on a game that relies so much on timing and pitch recognition it would be nice if they could get it up to the ps3 version. especially since it will only get harder next season when the PS4 version makes an even bigger jump utilizing the 8gb of ram it will have while Vita hardware stays the same. wherever they drops are, they are there.

friz898

Not sure why so much talk about it in the first place. It's an amazing game.

Do like every other game and watch some gameplay videos on youtube and go from there. It's definitely worth every dollar, unless you have/prefer the ps3 version then, it's up to you.

Seems like the game randomly picks different difficulties online. Sometimes my PCI is gigantic for everyone, sometimes small, sometimes guess pitch off, etc. Anyone else notice this?

abrack08

Does anybody know what determines what type of hitter you are in RTTS (push/pull and the percentages)? And the hot/cold zones? I wanted to be a Push hitter, and I got lucky I guess because my hitter is one, I'm just not sure why. I didn't notice it asking me during the creation process. Is it just based on the batting stance?

Reposting this out of curiosity. Nobody knows?

Seems like the game randomly picks different difficulties online. Sometimes my PCI is gigantic for everyone, sometimes small, sometimes guess pitch off, etc. Anyone else notice this?
What? No check your Settings for Online. You can only accept/play certain types of games if you want.

Reposting this out of curiosity. Nobody knows?
It's random, confirmed from Ramone Russell:
This was the only option available make it random or force every player you create into the balanced.
also:
It doesn't affect very early or late timing, only good timing.

In the hitting blog video Ramone said this, then they showed a clip of David Ortiz pulling an offspeed pitch into right field. To me that seem to me that they were trying to say that if you are early you will still pull the ball regardless, and also if its inside.

But if a ball is down the middle and you get good timing the ball will be more biased towards the player's tendency. So theoretically if you do this same pitch 100 times and have the same timing each time, the hits should match the tendency with more % of balls going to the push/pull of the hitter. When they explained the good timing part in the video, they showed Evan Longoria swinging at a ball down the middle with good timing and he pulled a HR to left field which is line with his tendency.

MLB 13 The Show: Hitting Enhancements

FrankWza

i recently went to a slim(first revision) from my fat model. anyone else have their disc drive working OT even with the 10GB install?

If there are any devs monitoring this thread, PLEASE at least acknowledge that you guys know about the fucking bug in the Online Vaults that fucks up the alphabetized sorting when you go to a new page. Shit is FUCKING ANNOYING.

I was getting my $5 certificates in order cause I was planing to get the game this week. I see a promo with no real details and click to print.
Then I read the fine print.

BestBuy Reward Zone
Save $10 on MLB 13: The Show and get $12 in movie cash to see the movie '42,' in theaters April 13, with your purchase.Offer valid only for PlayStation 3.

Don't have a PS3. At first I was like

Then I remembered who I was dealing with
UI9b2dE.gif

I thought why not try adding Vita version to cart to see if it will work.

My reaction after jumping through the hoops of all the e-mail, account and member # nonsense
7O5zfPv.jpg

Down to $29.99
- 3x $5 off with my reward points
+ tax
$16.04 for PS Vita MLB 13 The Show

bradigor

Before getting MLB 13 (and MLB 12 in the EU sale a while back), I had only been a casual fan of the sport. Pretty much just watching whenever the Tigers were playing.

I find the beginner difficulty way too easy, but I still don't fully understand the best tactics to use. So does anyone have a good slider set that would allow me to still get challenged but not be bogged down in the the little nuances of the game. Such as when is best to warm up a relief pitcher, when to bring him out. I wish the game would have a more hands on coach for beginner players, rather than just easier settings.

Something along the lines of a coach that pops up and tells you that you should consider right now warming up another pitcher. Now would be a good time to try and steal 2nd. Maybe you should walk this guy. That sort of thing, so it allows newbies to begin to understand the sport.

Also, where could I find somewhere that would explain all the stats to me? I LOVE... LOVE stats, but I just don't get what half of them mean yet. Well I mean I get the obvious ones like Batting average, RBI, etc. Yet I don't know what WHIP, Slug, etc are and what their relevance is to things.

Other than that, I am loving this game, played last night and had a cracking game with Detroit vs Tampa Bay. Really tight game going into the seventh (1-1) when all of a sudden I found myself with runners at 3rd and 1st with my pitcher at bat and 1 out. Decided to bunt, got a runner home and the other to second, sacrificing Porcello, but then having Austin Jackson up next, who drove home another run to give me a 3-1 lead. I ended up running out 5-2 winners.

It felt good man. Just need to learn to read pitches better, as I probably could have run up a bigger score.

Top Bottom