• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14 The Show - FACT SHEET Released (PS4/PS3/Vita details)

Courtesy of Operation Sports:

KEY FEATURES

•Next Generation Baseball Has Arrived – MLB 14 The Show makes its next-gen debut on the PS4 system, utilizing the system’s vast resources to deliver exceptionally detailed and fluid gameplay. With improvements to presentation, a wealth of added animations, and a dramatic increase in environment and player detail, we are setting out to create the best-looking and best-playing baseball sim ever created.

•The Evolution of Road to The Show continues (All platforms) – First among the major improvements is a completely revamped advancement system, complete with improved logic and the removal of advancement goals. Also being introduced is a new beginning to a player’s RTTS career with the Topps Amateur Showcase, a series of games against other draft prospects. Additionally, the training system, logic, screens and modes have all been revamped to provide users with a more engaging experience.
oOther changes include a new player-creation process, the reintroduction of the “broadcast” presentation perspective as an option, and a re-envisioned Catcher Mode, to name a few (PS3 & PS4 Only).

•Year-to-Year Saves (All platforms) – For the first time in franchise history, saves can be carried over from MLB 14 to future releases of The Show, meaning that gamers won't have to worry about starting their Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over in years to come.

•Player Lock (All platforms)– The new Player Lock feature (a.k.a RTTS anywhere) gives users the ability to lock-on to any single player and enter games using the Road to the Show gameplay mechanic, allowing for faster games and more focused on-field action.

•Quick Counts (All platforms) – Users will now be able to play a full nine-inning game in less than 30 minutes, half the time it takes in previous iterations of The Show. Despite the shortened game durations, realistic stats will not be compromised.

•Community Challenges (PS3 & PS4) – Players will be able to freely toy and tinker with game situations and scenarios on the fly, whether that’s the inning, score, who’s on base, or where the ball is hit. These custom situations can be bundled with a creative set of goals and put forth as a challenge to the community, whether it’s to relive the past, change history, or dream of new possibilities.

•Universal Profile (PS3 & PS4) – A new tendency-tracking system monitors and records gamers’ unique playing styles. Those patterns are stored in the Universal Profile, which can be viewed by anyone looking to get a quick scouting report on the player. The Universal Profile can also be subbed in in place of a CPU opponent in Diamond Dynasty and Online Franchise, making for more realistic head-to-head matchups when schedules prevent synchronous play.

•Online Franchise (PS3 & PS4) – Finally, Franchise mode can be shared with friends online, with most of the features from the offline version making the transition, including Scouting, the Amateur Draft, Free Agency and CPU Trades. The mode will remain highly customizable as scheduling, divisions, postseason spots and more are all commissioner options.

•Stubs (All platforms) – Playing games in MLB 14 The Show rewards players with Stubs. Stubs can be used to purchase additional in-game content – like Road to the Show training points – or used in our new mode, Community Challenges. Stubs can be earned in any mode, and they are not required to progress through a mode. You can still purchase additional in-game content through the PlayStation Store.

•Diamond Dynasty Extra Innings (PS3 & PS4) – In this mode, a player’s team is always looking for opportunities to challenge other users in an offline setting, which allows the user to earn bonus rewards the next time they log in. When online, the player has the opportunity to challenge other user-created teams in an offline game where the CPU controls their team. Players can only benefit positively in this mode even if their team does not perform up to their normal standards.

•Dynamic Difficulty (All platforms) – Baseball is a sport the dedicated love to master, but also one that can intimidate newcomers. In this year’s version of The Show, players who don’t feel like veterans yet can opt to start on a lower difficulty level and jump right in. An advanced logic system will then grade the user’s skill and adjust the challenge level up or down based on their overall performance. Batting and pitching are evaluated separately, so it’s possible for one to increase in difficulty while the other doesn’t, or even reduces. On-screen notifications will advise when the difficulty setting has been adjusted.

•Franchise Improvements (PS3 & PS4 Only) – Efforts continue to improve the accessibility of Franchise mode. A new notification system, which keeps the user more connected to their organization and the league, serves as an “Assistant GM” and will make sure critical information is more immediately provided and more readily accessible. Also refined is the logic that helps the multi-season cycle of Franchise mode and all of the stats and developments therein resemble real life as closely as possible. Other additions include a player search and the ability to hire and fire coaches during the regular season.

•True Broadcast Presentations (PS3 & PS4 Only) – The Show’s presentation crew has taken on a tall task for MLB 14: streamlining the game while enhancing the reality and increasing the variety of the experience. Pace of play is a focal point for the team as we strive to immerse the user in an even more engaging simulation. Heavy emphasis has also been placed on the stadium environment to feature the upgraded crowd actors, jumbotrons, LED boards, dugouts, specific stadium audio and a more engaged, responsive and unique crowd.

On the commentary side, the three-man booth of Matt Vasgersian, Eric Karros and Steve Lyons return for their second season together. This year's title will emphasize the three announcers in a more interactive, conversational style, yet will also continue to mine the world of baseball to find intelligent, timely and compelling commentary concerning today's teams and players. The overall goal is for the game to get deeper, and for the announcers to better adapt to changing game conditions -- including rising the enthusiasm level when the situation dictates.

MLB 14 The Show includes over 40 more enhancements, new features, and improvements!

• New dynamic gameplay cameras for batting and fielding
• New dynamic catch position indicator for fielding
• New baserunning paradigm (New animation core and logic)
• Completely re-done catcher animations suite (over 150 all-new catcher animations)
• More than 90 new batting stances
• More than 160 batting stance re-captures for players who changed their stances
• More than 50 new fielding animations
• More than 30 new pitching motions
• 20 new signature HR swings
• Intro Fly-Ins (PS4 Only)
• New bat boy and ball boy presentations (PS4 Only)
• All-new high-resolution crowd reactions, ambient noise, cheers, etc…. (PS4 Only)
• J*pan League-style and slap-hitter swing types (PS4 Only)
• Over 350 new fielding and batting animations (PS4 Only)
• Team specific, player specific, team generic crowd signs (PS4 Only)

• New RTTS Player Creation options, including the ability to model your skills, appearance, and signature animations after a real MLB player
• New and improved training modes, along with the addition of a new bronze/gold medal system.
• Easier trade requests (RTTS)
• Easier position changes (RTTS)
• Dynamic Potential for RTTS Player
• New injury presentations
• New Player Search feature
• Ability to hire/fire coaches in mid-season
• Notification system that keeps you connected to your team and league.
• New player contract logic that mimics real life
• New overall and potential formula
• Editable potential
• Refined player generation, with more position-specific attribute ranges (Online Franchise)
• New contract decision logic, which factors in contract renewable and arbitration status more heavily (Online Franchise)
• New lineup logic that takes into account secondary positions (Online Franchise)
• Refined trade logic (Online Franchise)
• Retired players stored for every season (Online Franchise)
• More player stats stored for every season (Online Franchise)
• New user management functionality at TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• Make, accept, and vote on trades through TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• Resolve and simulate games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• League members can now manage games on TheShowNation.com (Online Franchise)
• New pitcher/batter status screen
• New pitcher/batter breakdown pop-up graphics
• Cycling help text
• Left-handed infielders
• CPU plate discipline logic has been re-written
• Pitcher can now bring up pitch history using L3 (same effect as R2 for the batter)
• New pickoff cameras
• New assortment of organ recordings
• Completely re-worked Plate Coverage Indicator (PCI)

zychi

Banned
•Year-to-Year Saves (All platforms) – For the first time in franchise history, saves can be carried over from MLB 14 to future releases of The Show, meaning that gamers won't have to worry about starting their Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over in years to come.
I love the show, and its the least "unupdated" sports game that is released. But this is just begging to be used in Madden and FIFA. It just proves most sports games are roster updates :/

GetemMa

• CPU plate discipline logic has been re-written

Does this mean the CPU will actually take a swing at pitches outside the strike zone every once and a while?

Because right now they almost never do it, which really doesn't represent real baseball or real pitcher vs batter dynamics.

I've always hated this flaw in an otherwise good series.

A-V-B

Wow, the REMOVAL of advancement goals in Road to the Show? That's pretty bold. I wonder if they're going all the way and actually making coaches sane individuals this year.

A-V-B

Also, thank god at the last part of the commentator additions. Rising emotional levels so the announcers get amped up with the crowd.

Seems there are lots of small, but really important changes being made.

I wonder if the "players who switched stances" re-tooling will still include the older ones for create-a-player? That'd be cool.

I like this part:

On the commentary side, the three-man booth of Matt Vasgersian, Eric Karros and Steve Lyons return for their second season together. This year's title will emphasize the three announcers in a more interactive, conversational style, yet will also continue to mine the world of baseball to find intelligent, timely and compelling commentary concerning today's teams and players. The overall goal is for the game to get deeper, and for the announcers to better adapt to changing game conditions -- including rising the enthusiasm level when the situation dictates.

So far as presentation goes... sounds like the old-school NFL 2K5 announcers who would talk about players and game situations in a more traditional conversational style, rather than it just being nuts & bolts analytics all the time. Just giving the pitch count and rattling off a player's stats vs. R/L handers gets old FAST.

NHale

I love that they keep the same commentary team. It's like they don't have budget to revamp the commentary that already got stale 4 years ago.

A-V-B

I love that they keep the same commentary team. It's like they don't have budget to revamp the commentary that already got stale 4 years ago.

It sounds kinda like they are revamping a bit, in the way the commentating is actually done.

Xater

Looking at how many of those feature are just for the console versions leads me to believe that the Vita one is just going to be an afterthought.

Still want to see the PS4 version. When?

A-V-B

Sounds good.

Glad they removed advancement goals in RttS.

What I want to know is how they're replacing it, you know? I know you already get points, basically, from how well you do in a game. Are they actually putting more weight on that now, and making coaches and managers judge your game-to-game, week-to-week, month-to-month, etc performances from more general analysis about how you're helping the team, and progressing in general? Sorta more like real life managers? What's the plan?

OneUh8

I like this part:

So far as presentation goes... sounds like the old-school NFL 2K5 announcers who would talk about players and game situations in a more traditional conversational style, rather than it just being nuts & bolts analytics all the time. Just giving the pitch count and rattling off a player's stats vs. R/L handers gets old FAST.

NBA 2K14 does a great job with this. The best announcers in any game period right now.

Looking at how many of those feature are just for the console versions leads me to believe that the Vita one is just going to be an afterthought.

Still want to see the PS4 version. When?

Probably, kinda like how the PSP version was an afterthought all last gen.

Still better than MLB 2K though!

I didn't like the batting last year. The 1/4 guess pitch changed, and I did not like it. In years before as long as you guess the right location, you got a bonus, but last year it had to be right location and right pitch.

No tattoo artist in MLB 14?
12500020735_f7c54fb60a_c.jpg

52fd55058fc69.preview-620.jpg

8239988.jpg

NO Move support?
9vs9 online game? THAT will be awesome, I love 5v5 on NBA2K14

Does this mean the CPU will actually take a swing at pitches outside the strike zone every once and a while?

Because right now they almost never do it, which really doesn't represent real baseball or real pitcher vs batter dynamics.

I've always hated this flaw in an otherwise good series.

You're right, that was something that always bugged me about playing against the AI in games like MVP Baseball and the 2K series. They rarely swing at balls even if it's an inch off the plate in a 0-2 count.

NBA 2K14 does a great job with this. The best announcers in any game period right now.

My favorite announcers were Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper from The last MVP Baseball on PS2. They were awesome. My buddy and I played at least 200 complete games against each other and they never got old. We could've swore we were still hearing them say new phrases up until we stopped playing it.

I'm also a huge Giants fan so I'm a little biased.

The one thing from MVP I hope to see in another baseball game again is the inclusion of all the minor league teams. That was so fricken awesome. That's what kept the game fresh for me and my friend. We had over 100 teams to choose from. Some of our most memorable games were with the minor league teams, or going Single A versus a major league club.

CamHostage

Reading through the bulletpoints, most of the dropped Vita features could be summed up through two issues: they seem to be afraid of the always-online functions, and they seem to be running out of cart space to add more of the atmospheric details. The gameplay additions/tweaks seem to otherwise be on par, which if they keep that up should make for a pretty good product (especially at the lesser price) even with the dropped functions and afterthough prioritizing. But who knows how long they can keep their engine in parity before Vita starts being too tough to support and it becomes a "Legacy Edition" version...

CzarTim

"•Year-to-Year Saves (All platforms) – For the first time in franchise history, saves can be carried over from MLB 14 to future releases of The Show, meaning that gamers won't have to worry about starting their Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over in years to come."

And pre-ordered. My #1 complaint from the series.

Bowler

Any release date info on ps4? Any news on how they are going to remap ps4 controller to vita for remote play?

Joeki11a

Banned
no its not….

Yes it is, they didnt built the game from scratch for PS4 and port it down...

The PS3 engine is superb, why destroy it?
all they did was just enhance to greater levels
the Engine with the new ps4 power. Look at the new ps4 features its just pushing further not completely changing mlb experience.

You ever player 2K on old gen and new gen?
You can clearly see is a brand new engine on PS4,Xbox one. This game will look superb on Ps3 still, Ps4 will just be a super enhanced clean version.

stock411

Neo Member
Better netcode?

Over 40 additions, improvements, and innovations abound this season, including: Quick Counts offer full season enthusiasts a chance to cut the duration of a complete game in half with statistically generated pitch counts; Year-to-Year Saves complement the existing Cross Save feature, ensuring the time invested in 2014 can be carried into next year’s game; Online Franchise, coupled with vastly improved netcode, makes it possible to share the thrills and surprises of The Show’s acclaimed Franchise mode with other fans; and Universal Profile, which builds a virtual manager based on the user’s tendencies and tactics, allowing for more meaningful online competition when one player can’t participate in real-time and needs a simulated version of themselves to fill in.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...3-ps4-online-franchise-confirmed-ps3-ps4.html

Returners

"And one shortstop grounds out to another."

I swear I heard this for 4 games now.

Excited though, ball boys are going to make the field more lively.

stock411

Neo Member
That's what I'm waiting to hear before I buy.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...3-ps4-online-franchise-confirmed-ps3-ps4.html

Over 40 additions, improvements, and innovations abound this season, including: Quick Counts offer full season enthusiasts a chance to cut the duration of a complete game in half with statistically generated pitch counts; Year-to-Year Saves complement the existing Cross Save feature, ensuring the time invested in 2014 can be carried into next year’s game; Online Franchise, coupled with vastly improved netcode, makes it possible to share the thrills and surprises of The Show’s acclaimed Franchise mode with other fans; and Universal Profile, which builds a virtual manager based on the user’s tendencies and tactics, allowing for more meaningful online competition when one player can’t participate in real-time and needs a simulated version of themselves to fill in.

Strider

"Also refined is the logic that helps the multi-season cycle of Franchise mode and all of the stats and developments therein resemble real life as closely as possible"

Let's hope this turns out well. My biggest complaint is how weird the stats and player ratings are after a couple seasons in franchise mode. Players would be playing well yet still be decreasing in stats at age 25 for me at times. Was so strange.

Loving this years additions, especially being able to save your Franchise and load it up in MLB The Show 2015 next year, won't have to start over.

Can't wait!!

Also, being able to " lock on " to a real player and play as only that player ala Road to the Show mode sounds awesome too.

2k14 actually botched it a little this time compared to previous years. Alot of the comments are the exact same, and also some of the line delivery is clearly out of sequence...like you can tell they copy and pasted the audio file instead of it seeming like real conversation between announcers.

Top Bottom