• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

DoctorZ

You could absolutely stretch/fill the display. There was an option in settings to adjust the horizontal and vertical so that you could stretch the image to fit your screen. I have had to do this every year for the past few years.

PS4 version does not require it.

As for 1080p. I know there were a couple of editions that let you output in 1080p if you adjusted the PS3's resolution settings. I think you had to make 1080p the ONLY option and then when you loaded up the game it would output at that. Framerate would take a hit though.

Image quality is definitely decreased though on 1080p. Doesn't make sense, but they mean it when they say play it at 720p. I have no idea why this is the case, but I've compared screenshots side-by-side and the visuals are not improved on 1080p at all.

They really need to do some work on the front end of the game when you first get into the game. Hiding stuff in the menus is why sports games get a bad wrap from more casual fans.

- autoplay intro sequence ONCE, then disable it once a save is created
- do the "adjust size to fit display" screen on first boot
- A proper tutorial that goes through the different hitting and pitching control options so new players know there are many options to pick from.

FYI.

Knight's Roster Update with Full Minors and adjustments should be hitting tonight. A lot of people have been working on it for the past month.

If you're going to start a Franchise make sure you wait/look up Knight's roster set if you want accurate rosters.

Xater

So I don't actually watch Baseball. I know the rules and I have had fun int eh past playing some Power Pros. Sadly those games are hardly playable beyond the exhibition mode because of the language barrier. How accessible do you think this game has become with the beginner mode in place? I am still not sure if I should pick this up. I think I played The Show 12 or 11 for a bit but it being a real simulation made things difficult to me.

For those who have the game for the PS4 does the vibration work for the DS4, I'm getting no feed back on anything.

EDIT: I had to delete the install and re-install and now my DS4 is vibrating.

So I don't actually watch Baseball. I know the rules and I have had fun int eh past playing some Power Pros. Sadly those games are hardly playable beyond the exhibition mode because of the language barrier. How accessible do you think this game has become with the beginner mode in place? I am still not sure if I should pick this up. I think I played The Show 12 or 11 for a bit but it being a real simulation made things difficult to me.
Not accessible at all. The show is one of the least accessible sports series period. It's a simulation, a good one, but not easy.

GameSeeker

no.. it doesn't seem like the pre-load option will be in for MLB

Pre-loading for MLB:The Show would require someone at PSN to know that the 1.7 OS patch enabled that feature. The PSN folks won't get the memo from SCE Japan till Sept., just in time for Destiny. :p

Just finished paying off my preorder for this. GameStop isn't doing a midnight for it (mine only has 5 copies preordered COUNTING mine). I'll be there right at open. So pumped for this game! The season is a month old but still going strong.

oatmeal

Banned
Does it feel faster to get in and out of games than the PS3 ones?

I play a lot of RTTS, so that's my main concern.

Saganator

What'd he have to say? He's putzing around menus now...

He was explaining how they changed the online system. Sounds like they went from P2P to dedicated. Said timing based actions, like the pitcher meter should be more accurate and smooth, but there may be an increase in "visual anomalies." Sounds like they have a pretty dedicated group of guys testing and improving the online system.

He was showing off some of the details they put into the player specific animations. Showed off crowd faces and told us who they were.

He seems to really enjoy his job.

The Show outsold MLB 2K 19:1.

Xater

Not accessible at all. The show is one of the least accessible sports series period. It's a simulation, a good one, but not easy.

If you say that even with beginner mode there I guess I'll just save my money. There will probably never be a more arcadey game again that I can enjoy, like The Bigs for example.

oatmeal

Banned
Still no preload stuff? :(

It would be so interesting to have 18 v 18 online. Everyone plays one position.

Would be boring as shit, but a fun experiment.

Rflagg

I wish this was a big enough game for gamestop to do a midnight release I am so ready for my rtts baseball rpg/sim.

oatmeal

Banned
Catch_the_ball1.gif

Still no preload stuff? :(

It would be so interesting to have 18 v 18 online. Everyone plays one position.

Would be boring as shit, but a fun experiment.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
Lol that would be hilarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Ripken's_Real_Baseball

The one and only time that I ever played it, I played "third base." But, since movement was completely unrestricted, what I really did was run right up to home plate and stand in front of every batter's face the entire time. It was, in fact, hilarious.

If you say that even with beginner mode there I guess I'll just save my money. There will probably never be a more arcadey game again that I can enjoy, like The Bigs for example.

I honestly haven't played the beginning mode in The Show '14. It could be more approachable, but I'd still imagine that the learning curve is steep if you're not as familiar with baseball.

I was going to recommend the Bigs 2 last night but was on my tablet and too lazy to type.

That's awesome.

I'd like to see it with The Show since it might actually be good ;)

The designer of the game who has been streaming actually mentioned that they prototyped various 9v9 modes but they ended up just not being fun and you open the door to one bad or troll player out of 18 ruining the experience for everyone else online.

oatmeal

Banned
The designer of the game who has been streaming actually mentioned that they prototyped various 9v9 modes but they ended up just not being fun and you open the door to one bad or troll player out of 18 ruining the experience for everyone else online.
Hah, I'm sure it would never work, but it would be a fun experiment

Even 1v1 where you control one position would be neat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Ripken's_Real_Baseball

The one and only time that I ever played it, I played "third base." But, since movement was completely unrestricted, what I really did was run right up to home plate and stand in front of every batter's face the entire time. It was, in fact, hilarious.

There was a mod for Half-Life that was an online baseball mod that actually worked. The game was horrible. It might have actually been this but in an earlier version. I can't find any record of it online

For RTTS which roster is the better pick? OSFM or Knight's?

Historically, OSFM's is usually better... but it usually takes much longer to come out. Knight's original roster is all about naming players and getting numbers right, usually. OSFM's is usually more about minor league scouting, tweaking of players, positions, and more.

Top Bottom