• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

BFIB

As I said before, I'm expecting next year's version to be the true kickoff for what MLB The Show will be on PS4.

They started this year by rebuilding the stadium's piece by piece, so now they have that in place. My guess is we're going to see a new animation system next year, along with even better graphical enhancements.

Its astounding what this team can do year after year. 75 I believe work on the team, yet they pull off better results than other companies who have a team three times as large.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Its astounding what this team can do year after year. 75 I believe work on the team, yet they pull off better results than other companies who have a team three times as large.

With laughable to no competition.

I think I'm mostly hoping for better menus.

I haven't bought The Show in 3 years I think, but the last one I played just didn't inject any life into the management systems (transactions, player development, even lineups). It was basically text menus and pop-ups with no personality besides my own, which, although admittedly ELECTRIC, could be complemented by some additional style and substance.

Yea I agree. Reading some impressions at Operation Sports they are saying it's pretty much the PS3 version with some better graphics. Guess we will have to wait for next year for a true leap.

I understand you want a completely overhauled The Show for PS4, however, you say this as if the PS3 version has been bad. It hasn't, the gameplay is fantastic on the PS3 version, and we get the great gameplay, with updated graphics. What were you expecting or wanting completely overhauled? What are your gripes with the game?

That is EXACTLY what I wanted and expected from the first version of The Show on PS4. I am hyped.

With laughable to no competition.

i wish MVP would come back but then again the guys responsible for MVP are probably long gone or at other companies. it should be mandatory that every sports game has competition. madden has excellent online features but questionable gameplay. nba 2k/mlb has good gameplay but some major online issues. call of duty turned this industry into a business!

BFIB

I don't want EA anywhere close to the MLB franchise. One, because EA would likely want a similar deal that the NFL offered to EA. And, we've seen what EA has done w/ the NFL license with no competition.

w00zey

My biggest want is for them to have real minor league stadiums. You spend so much time down there I get tired of the same ones over and over.

DietRob

i wish MVP would come back but then again the guys responsible for MVP are probably long gone or at other companies. it should be mandatory that every sports game has competition. madden has excellent online features but questionable gameplay. nba 2k/mlb has good gameplay but some major online issues. call of duty turned this industry into a business!

Yep, I agree. It would be really interesting to see what Madden would be if 2k were still doing a game and vice versa. It's still very good what San Diego has done with MLB considering 2k's offering was so subpar. The only honest complaint I can put on The Show is online. Too bad that is a HUGE COMPLAINT. Sports games in this day and age are meant to be played online. So it's a real bummer.

However, I'm only basing my shade on the PS3 version. I really doubt things change for this year's PS4 but I would be really happy to be wrong.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I understand you want a completely overhauled The Show for PS4, however, you say this as if the PS3 version has been bad. It hasn't, the gameplay is fantastic on the PS3 version, and we get the great gameplay, with updated graphics. What were you expecting or wanting completely overhauled? What are your gripes with the game?

That is EXACTLY what I wanted and expected from the first version of The Show on PS4. I am hyped.

Yeah, this is exactly what I expected from it. It's the first iteration and the gameplay isn't going to differ a lot.

I don't want EA anywhere close to the MLB franchise. One, because EA would likely want a similar deal that the NFL offered to EA. And, we've seen what EA has done w/ the NFL license with no competition.

i don't feel like getting into another argument about madden so i'll just say that while the gameplay has stagnated and is an "acquired" taste for some, the online portion of the game is the best for any sports game on the market. 2k and sony should be ashamed of their online performance/features when compared to what madden has. would competition change this for 2k/sony? who knows. the show had "competition" with MLB 2k and the online never improved so it's probably the developer just saying they don't give a fuck about certain aspects of the game.

for some people, having shitty online features or performance isn't a big deal because you play single player. for me, it is basically a deal breaker. i have no interest in playing single player sports games over a prolonged period. once you get a taste of human blood in the online arena you must have more!

The last "exclusive" deal that MLB did for videogames, they were smart enough to make it 3rd party exclusive only and allow 1st party to still make games (that's how The Show and 2K existed at the same time).

theWB27

Pretty much a no go. For one the MLB license is not coveted like the NFL license. Two, EA isn't going to shell out the money it would take to get an exclusive MLB contract since MLB games don't sale enough to warrant it. For as good as The Show is...the sales don't match the quality and it's a shame. EA also isn't making the same type of money they were making when they struck that original NFL deal.

Marleyman

Banned
I would love to have EA involved in a baseball title. Maybe then we can get some matches that resemble actually playing against someone instead of shitty net code. Bag on Madden all you want but that and Fifa run solid as can be w online games.

DietRob

I would love to have EA involved in a baseball title. Maybe then we can get some matches that resemble actually playing against someone instead of shitty net code. Bag on Madden all you want but that and Fifa run solid as can be w online games.

I'm convinced everyone that bags on Madden hasn't actually played it since ps2.

Kingbrave

i don't feel like getting into another argument about madden so i'll just say that while the gameplay has stagnated and is an "acquired" taste for some, the online portion of the game is the best for any sports game on the market. 2k and sony should be ashamed of their online performance/features when compared to what madden has. would competition change this for 2k/sony? who knows. the show had "competition" with MLB 2k and the online never improved so it's probably the developer just saying they don't give a fuck about certain aspects of the game.

for some people, having shitty online features or performance isn't a big deal because you play single player. for me, it is basically a deal breaker. i have no interest in playing single player sports games over a prolonged period. once you get a taste of human blood in the online arena you must have more!

The Show is my favorite sports game.

I agree. The online for it has always been just above really shitty.

Sanjuro

The only thing I hate about Madden online franchise is the stupid connected career. They added some nice features, but the scarified a very clean and simple layout for nonsense.

tbhysgb

Ea can buy the license all they want, it wouldn't affect Sony with the show.

I just want steady, excellent online play. I already like the game itself but the online has always been shaky. If they released the show and 2k and said WE DID NOTHING BUT ONLINE WORKS AND HAS OPTIONS! Then I'd be really happy for years

Ea can buy the license all they want, it wouldn't affect Sony with the show.

If they bought an exclusive MLB license, it would. The only reason The Show could be made over the last 7 years was because 2K couldn't avoid an exclusive license, they could only afford an exclusive third party license... Which had the result of, essentially, locking out EA from making a baseball game. It was a huge mistake for 2K and they lost millions on this, and it was all sour grapes.

But, EA will not buy an exclusive license for the MLB. It's not a money maker and it would cost a fortune that they do not have. Plus, there's no precedent of the MLB using single vendors for their licensed goods, unlike the NFL.

I'd still love for some competition in baseball games, if only to see MVP come back. Although, I know the whole team is gone and on other projects, MVP baseball '05 is the best baseball game I've ever played... It was the perfect balance of complexity and simplicity. I love the Show, but also hate it's complexity and I get frustrated that there still isn't a simplified manager mode after 8 or 9 years.

BFIB

I will admit, the last Madden I bought was '12 I think?

But looking at the videos for the PS4, I didn't see a huge leap, at least not to me. But maybe I'll check it out this years upcoming version.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Maybe it was just me, but the online for 13 wasn't exactly smooth. The input lag was pretty bad. :(

I understand you want a completely overhauled The Show for PS4, however, you say this as if the PS3 version has been bad. It hasn't, the gameplay is fantastic on the PS3 version, and we get the great gameplay, with updated graphics. What were you expecting or wanting completely overhauled?

Yeah, this is what I don't get either. It's like expecting a completely different Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4/Xbone from the PS3/360 version.

It's gonna be the same game but with better graphics. Anyone who expected more, I don't get.

I will admit, the last Madden I bought was '12 I think?

But looking at the videos for the PS4, I didn't see a huge leap, at least not to me. But maybe I'll check it out this years upcoming version.

It wasn't a huge leap at all. Madden is not a bad game, but it hasn't seriously progressed in in ... 8 years. Madden '25 on Xbox1/PS4 is better than Madden '13 on 360 & PS3, but not leaps and bounds better. And, arguably, it's not any better than Madden '05 or '06 on PS2/XBox, relative to those consoles.

Maybe it was just me, but the online for 13 wasn't exactly smooth. The input lag was pretty bad. :(

It might be just you there... Madden is mediocre in almost every way, EXCEPT for Online Play, which EA has somehow perfected, while every other sports developer has deplorably bad online play.

turnbuckle

Ooo. Hope my preorder gets grandfathered into this.

Still no word on pre-load?! Come on Sony... use your new features!

I think the promo is for 200 reward points at Sony's site. Looking through their selection it seems like a point is about equivalent to a penny, so (unless I'm misunderstanding) that 200 points is basically $2.

You can preorder the digital version from Gamestop and still get their virtual currency pre-order bonus ($20 value).

I demand an archived stream!

please.

I setup a Twitch account earlier this week. Concerned about getting banned. Definitely won't be able to play right now. Install is taking so long. It lets you into the game but each team, mode and everything else has a download percentage beside it and nothing is ready to go.

NHale

That would be no problem because Sony would still make MLB The Show even if EA signed an exclusivity deal with MLB because that kind of deals only applies for 3rd party development. For example, if Sony, MS or Nintendo wants to make and publish a NFL game they can.

I checked the trailer out for the PS4 version last night and I started getting interested. I haven't bought a baseball game since the Gamecube days but I'd really like a demo before I commit.

I love hitting and fielding but my problem with most baseball games is that pitching to the CPU simply isn't fun. It always feels inherently unfair since the CPU doesn't have to do any guessing or boring because you find a pitch it can never hit and it's too easy. Honestly, I'd really like a BB game where I could designate the CPU to pitch for me and let me handle everything else.

MickeyPhree

I checked the trailer out for the PS4 version last night and I started getting interested. I haven't bought a baseball game since the Gamecube days but I'd really like a demo before I commit.

I love hitting and fielding but my problem with most baseball games is that pitching to the CPU simply isn't fun. It always feels inherently unfair since the CPU doesn't have to do any guessing or boring because you find a pitch it can never hit and it's too easy. Honestly, I'd really like a BB game where I could designate the CPU to pitch for me and let me handle everything else.

You can chose to skip half innings if you want your pitching simmed.

Still no real EU release date. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get this via the US PSN store and hope the online mode will work (which it hasn't for the last 2 years).

The pitching in The Show is pretty good (4 control options, pitch placement based on stats, fatigue, and confidence, etc.), but there is a fast forward option, so whenever you go up to pitch, you could fast forward a half inning (of course, no fielding, though). Otherwise, you could player lock a position player. That way, you would hit and field with that player and not pitch.

Still, if you do give The Show a chance, I would definitely say give pitching (and each of its different control options) a try before completely dismissing it.

Streams don't do the graphics justice. Game looks sharp. Very sharp.

Can't wait to play more when I get home. Might stream my Kenny Powers RTTS.

Guymelef

Still no real EU release date. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get this via the US PSN store and hope the online mode will work (which it hasn't for the last 2 years).

They said this May, PS3/PSV versions came a day after US release, so probably next Wednesday on EU Store.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Decided to skip this for PS4 this year. I'll wait until they make the true leap to next gen (next year hopefully)

MauroNL

Might import this when I get my PS4. What's the best store to import one from the US to EU, without paying a shit ton on import duties and tax like Amazon? Videogamesplus.ca is kinda cheap but don't really have experience with it...

Guymelef

Might import this when I get my PS4. What's the best store to import one from the US to EU, without paying a shit ton on import duties and tax like Amazon? Videogamesplus.ca is kinda cheap but don't really have experience with it...

I always use Videogamesplus, fast and no customs duties.

NHale

VGP is the best bet especially because it's cheaper to buy from Canada than US (exchange rates). If you don't mind buying digital, you can buy from the Canadian PSN Store (with PayPal) for less 5€ than from VGP without taking a risk of import duties.

MauroNL

I always use Videogamesplus, fast and no customs duties.

VGP is the best bet especially because it's cheaper to buy from Canada than US (exchange rates). If you don't mind buying digital, you can buy from the Canadian PSN Store (with PayPal) for less 5€ than from VGP without taking a risk of import duties.
Thanks, will remember this! Bit off-topic, how about hardware/accessoires? Any import duty fees on that?

Top Bottom