• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

aro52

Still no preload stuff? :(

It would be so interesting to have 18 v 18 online. Everyone plays one position.

Would be boring as shit, but a fun experiment.

I'd totally be down for this! I play all pitches in RTTS from time to time :p

Quick

Banned

Needs authentic speech system, where the only guys that could hear you talk are the ones near you, unless you shout.

I can only imagine the random shit players talk about while waiting for something to do.

Tempted to get the digital copy, but I'd lose out on eventually trading the game away later on.

RGVNOE

I thought they were gonna do preload as well, sucks that they didn't.

lol there is only 9 players on the field, are you going to assign 4 to the bench and 5 to pen

oatmeal

Banned

lol there is only 9 players on the field, are you going to assign 4 to the bench and 5 to pen

Clearly I'm dumb...I meant 9 v 9.

;)

Needs authentic speech system, where the only guys that could hear you talk are the ones near you, unless you shout.

I can only imagine the random shit players talk about while waiting for something to do.

Tempted to get the digital copy, but I'd lose out on eventually trading the game away later on.

How much do you get for MLB The Show trading it in after a year? $10? Digital is worth the convenience. Not getting up and opening the box and switching it out 100 times over a year is worth the $10.

Quick

Banned

Authentic baseball.

Sit down and watch from the dugout or bullpen.

Clearly I'm dumb...I meant 9 v 9.

;)

How much do you get for MLB The Show trading it in after a year? $10? Digital is worth the convenience. Not getting up and opening the box and switching it out 100 times over a year is worth the $10.

plus if you think about it it's LESS than that.

Retail = $59.99 + tax (8% here) = $64.78
Resell for $10 (which is about what you'll get if you sell november or later) = $54.78 final cost

DD = $59.99, no tax

so the difference is about $5. now if you plan on reselling in august or whatever you could probably get between $20-30 so that would make a difference

oatmeal

Banned
Someone asked earlier in the thread if weather was of any effect, so I'm just repeating it to him.

Is there rain and whatnot?

Resell for $10 (which is about what you'll get if you sell november or later) = $54.78 final cost

DD = $59.99, no tax

so the difference is about $5. now if you plan on reselling in august or whatever you could probably get between $20-30 so that would make a difference

Who trades it in when the season is getting interesting?

Quick

Banned

It still goes towards another game, however small the value is.

I've gone digital for about half my games. Sports games are yearly releases, so I figured I can throw in the value of the old game to the new one.

Giant Bomb is doing a Quick-Look tomorrow at 9:00 (EST)!

Man I love those guys but their sports games QL's are unbearable. They know almost nothing about sports irl and don't seem to care much for sports gaming either. Grating to the eyes and ears if you're actually into sports games.

But who knows, maybe it'll be different this time and I can change my tune.

newsguy

I don't play this game online because I'm horrible at it, but for those who do, the dev who was streaming it said that the netcode has been reworked for the PS4 version.

I don't play this game online because I'm horrible at it, but for those who do, the dev who was streaming it said that the netcode has been reworked for the PS4 version.

nope

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 42s
Early reports regarding online play in PS4's MLB 14: The Show makes it sound no better than the disastrous online in the PS3 version.

ViciousDS

Banned

DD = $59.99, no tax

I'm picking it up tomorrow at best buy for $52 new if I trade it in a few months from now I get roughly $40 due to gamers unlocked it's truly an amazing value.

oatmeal

Banned
I've never played The Show online before...I'd never played Madden online until I joined the league this year either.

Mascot Hunting D'Backs, from my twitter feed, image quality isn't the greatest.

Bm63jzuCAAA9FPz.jpg

Are there any reviews for the ps4 version yet?

Here's my review it is a sim baseball game to the core. The Graphics in night games are the wow factor, day games look like an up rezzed PS3 game. The promised hair movement of the initial reveal is a no go, hair is as stiff as a board. It is a buttery smooth 60fps and plays a superior baseball game to the PS3 version.

I had the PS3 version since launch and the PS4 version since Friday. I was able to transfer my RTTS to the PS4 version via the cloud without a hitch. Mind you I am an Analog player in the field, while pitching and at bat.

Dynamic Cameras for hitting and fielding take this game over the top playing the game from that perspective and being a seasoned player of this game injects some new life blood into the series.
PS3 version I would give an 8.5 the PS4 version 9.0, I'm a sim player and I know the ins and outs of MLB The Show, and I play all aspects of the game when I play franchise.

abrack08

Do we know the file size for the PSN version? How big is the install for the physical version?

And I've only seen one person with remote play impressions over on OS so far. I'm guessing the lag would make hitting difficult? Maybe a pitcher RTTS would be good.

Watching a stream on Twitch. The one aspect that lets me down on these games is the animations. Some look good. Many do not. Particularly transitions.

My biggest complaint is how the ball looks as the pitcher throws it. Something about the ball leaving his hand just never looks right.

No printed manual or anything inside the case =/

So uhhh, how does baserunning work? I've never played the Show in the past....

No printed manual or anything inside the case =/

So uhhh, how does baserunning work? I've never played the Show in the past....

The default is very intuitive

Point the Left Stick towards the base runner, the PIP baserunner icon will begin to pulsate/flash now you're are in control of the baserunner now select the base you want him to go to circle 1st base triangle is 2nd base square is 3rd base and X is home. To stop him while the icon is pulsating/flashing press R2. I don't want to type all the variables you just have to get use to the base running it's simple and intuitive.

Gotcha, baserunning is always my Achilles heel in baseball games, always hit the go button by accident and then play super conservative after that

sqwarlock

I sort of want to go digital for this, but the download size is making me think that retail is still the best way to go.

I sort of want to go digital for this, but the download size is making me think that retail is still the best way to go.

Yeah man I get like 1mb/s through PSN, maybe 2mb/s if it's flying along. And if you want to watch Netflix or play a game or something on top of it? I mean it could take years to finish.

oatmeal

Banned
Watching a stream on Twitch. The one aspect that lets me down on these games is the animations. Some look good. Many do not. Particularly transitions.

My biggest complaint is how the ball looks as the pitcher throws it. Something about the ball leaving his hand just never looks right.

Yup. It jumps up a few pixels and looks odd.

3 mins!!!

Gotcha, baserunning is always my Achilles heel in baseball games, always hit the go button by accident and then play super conservative after that

Keys to baserunning

first and foremost

Know the runners speed, check his attributes for speed and base running ability and aggresiveness.

Know that you are in control of his every move.

Learn the Slide Window, this is important because "assist" will take over and make the slide decision for you. The Slide window for Manual Slides is about the 10 feet away from the base. You can determine the type of slide see manual.

See the Gap hit and you can run like a deer i.e. split the CF vs the LF/RF in the gap and based on the speed of the baserunner you can turn a single into a double or a double into a triple, if you point that left stick early and select a base, and if you are in between bases you can reselect a base as long as the icon is pulsating/flashing.

Top Bottom