• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

leca

Woah! Really surprised to hear the on demand version didn't go live instantly.

Physical copies landed today in Australia, can't wait to head home and play a game or two :).

aro52

It just boggles the mind how Sony continues with the GCT weekly releases, never hitting a 12:01am release (dice roll on which timezone, and then 15-45 minutes after that), but gets so much else right. I hate for people to lose their jerbs, but it seems like the store team needs a refresh.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
WTF. Shouldn't it be a snake? Dumbest mascot ever and I never knew they changed it
I have always thought the Rockies have had a bad mascot withe the dinosaur, but I guess it could be worse. They could have that baby thing the pelicans or whoever have. *shudders*

I hope online runs well... Please run well!!

Pimpwerx

Game designer is a cool dude on his stream. He's been playing 12hrs straight. Getting lots of complaints about the delay. PEACE.

Community dude from San Diego Studio is doing a stream now:http://www.twitch.tv/Russell_05

He said the last he heard was that they have the game and it was all set to go up 12:01 Eastern but because the game has such a huge file size that something went wrong. I feel for the devs man, this should of been a big awesome launch for them tonight only to have technical shit go bad on them.

demolitio

Community dude from San Diego Studio is doing a stream now:http://www.twitch.tv/Russell_05

He said the last he heard was that they have the game and it was all set to go up 12:01 Eastern but because the game has such a huge file size that something went wrong. I feel for the devs man, this should of been a big awesome launch for them tonight only to have technical shit go bad on them.

Q: Will there be lag online on PS4?
A: Yes...

That just made me crack up. Better online is already on his wishlist for MLB 15.

Edit: I just asked if any other Sony engineers have offered to help with the netcode for online and he replied: "Yes. It's not necessarily a manpower problem, but a time problem."

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dude is pretty forthright about the game. He's definitely not happy with the quality of online. He also says the game dips in frames on some presentation stuff.

DoctorZ

Dude is pretty forthright about the game. He's definitely not happy with the quality of online. He also says the game dips in frames on some presentation stuff.

That's been the case for past games as well, some cutscenes had terrible framerates. He also said its close to 60 during gameplay, which is probably right. Was hoping for a solid locked 60, but I can take a few dips if its minor.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
That's been the case for past games as well, some cutscenes had terrible framerates. He also said its close to 60 during gameplay, which is probably right. Was hoping for a solid locked 60, but I can take a few dips if its minor.
Yeah, he did say mostly 60fps. What has me concerned is how he basically admits online play is once again broken.

DoctorZ

Yeah, he did say mostly 60fps. What has me concerned is how he basically admits online play is once again broken.

Its incredibly broken on PS3, they patched it, but from the sound of it things have not improved a ton.

You can slide into 2nd safe, then 2 seconds later be out because the ball was not where you thought it was. Stuff like that. They keep calling them visual anomalies, but they affect gameplay directly and are extremely frustrating.

OatmealMu

Good info, but the stream is a bit less... well behaved than the one with the designer.

NHale

Daaaaamn L1vingston is still going? I was watching earlier today.

He's a great streamer too. Very engaging to listen to him talk about the game. He's very passionate and from what I watched he managed to create some empathy towards the dev team.

Hearing first hand about dev struggles and accomplishments make it more personal. How demanding is the 1 year dev cycle, how they mo-capped bench clearing brawls and batters charging the mounds but had to remove it because of the MLB, crowd modelled after dev team and their families or having to cut PS4 design features because they don't want to leave the Vita behind. Very interesting stuff. If it's archived I will definitely watch it today.

FrankWza

Watching a stream on Twitch. The one aspect that lets me down on these games is the animations. Some look good. Many do not. Particularly transitions.

My biggest complaint is how the ball looks as the pitcher throws it. Something about the ball leaving his hand just never looks right.

Yup. It jumps up a few pixels and looks odd.

3 mins!!!

Man...I could care less about cutscenes. I turn them off anyway. But if this still happens on ps4 I may just skip it. I'll just wait for reviews for now. I just don't see how this game can get the praise it does and have frame skips during a pitch. Too much focus on BS.

All I wanted to do was queue this download up before I leave for work in 45 mins. Can't believe they botched this SO badly. Naturally it's radio silence over there too. So frustrating that I'll now have to wait for a 47GB download AFTER work when I barely have an hour or two to play the game in the first place. Thanks for reminding me why I don't pre-order digital games, Sony...

I don't get off work until 4pm EST when I can go pick the Show up from gamestop. I was going to buy digital so I could download at midnight, but so glad I didn't from all the comments on here.

so.... i wake up... check to download this badboy off the psn... and boom... nothing... sigh... what happened to midnight like it said ? this is sony's weak spot atm.... get to together guys .. smh

What?? I finally went to bed at 1A cst and woke up again and it STILL isn't on the store? And why, because the file size is too big? Seems odd that the PS4 store can't handle PS4 games.

I assume that the PS4 version of MLB The Show 14 will be up for sale on the PS Store here in the UK as it is for the PS3 and PS Vita version (I bought the latter a few weeks ago when I got my 64 GB memory card). I don't fancy downloading 47 GB for the PS4 version though so I've imported a copy from VG+ and it was sent yesterday. No idea when it will arrive but hopefully I'll have it by next Friday at the latest.

I've always enjoyed these games since I first imported a copy of (I think it was) MLB The Show 08 on the PS3 but I really do wish Sony would sell the boxed disc version over here as well so I don't have to import and then have to wait up to two weeks to be able to play them.

Glad I ordered the physical version and didn't wait up to deal with this nonsense. I like Sony, but man do they sometimes screw up the simplist things.

Pop

This is such bullshit. 7 hours later and still no download. This is the first major game I buy digitally and my last.

I could have ran to walmart at midnight and picked this up.

GameSeeker

Wow, double fail on Sony's part.

1) They don't preload MLB using the new feature that's part of the 1.7 OS patch that they advertised.
2) On top of that, they don't offer download starting at midnight on the 6th.

Sony really needs to hire some folks that actually understand what customers want from a PSN service. Maybe someone can tweet Shuhei Yoshida and ask him what went wrong.

All I wanted to do was queue this download up before I leave for work in 45 mins. Can't believe they botched this SO badly. Naturally it's radio silence over there too. So frustrating that I'll now have to wait for a 47GB download AFTER work when I barely have an hour or two to play the game in the first place. Thanks for reminding me why I don't pre-order digital games, Sony...

queue it up while at work assuming you put your ps4 on standbye

skynidas

Banned
this is what he says about the PS4 version:

Here’s the good news regarding the PS4 version of MLB 14: The Show: it maintains complete feature parity with the PS3 edition. Absolutely nothing is lost. But that’s the semi-bad news: nothing – outside of a few new animations sprinkled in – is gained, either. The key difference is in the raw visuals, which should make you happy. Where the PS3 game recommends you play at 720p, The Show soars in 1080p on PS4. This is a gorgeous port, no doubt. Players look fantastic – easily on-par with the hoopsters of NBA 2K14 on PS4 – and the ballparks have been given a much-needed refresh.

But it’s not all peanuts and Cracker Jacks; the loading times are abysmal on the new console, and a stuttering framerate during many non-gameplay shots drag down the otherwise stunning broadcast-like presentation. Meanwhile, the game’s other minor annoyances – all detailed in the rest of this review – remain. If you’ve got a PS4, there’s no debating it: the next-gen version is the no-brainer version to buy – but only if you’ve been holding out and don’t already have it on PS3.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/04/mlb-14-the-show-review

MizzouRah

The Cubs lost in extras last night and then MLB doesn't come out. Baseball truly is a game of failure.

I feel you, man. I stayed up watching the Royals lose in San Diego in the bottom of 12. Thinking I'd be able to queue up the game at 11:01 with Google Fiber and have it be done by the time the ballgame was over. It was nearly one in the morning central time, and I had a 7:10 AM flight this morning to Philadelphia... No Show.

I see a trend developing here...

Gaming sites are copying and pasting the PS3 reviews and just adding "Upgraded visuals" to their reviews for the PS4 version.

My problem with that is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY UPGRADED Visuals.

1080p, 60fps, thousands of new animations, completely rebuilt stadiums, dynamic crowds, dynamic HD-DTS audio...

I understand the need to reinforce the "gameplay" over "graphics" motif, but COME ON!!!

This is the smoothest generational transition ever for a sports franchise - nothing was sacrificed and only upgrades were implemented. Why doesn't that deserve some notoriety?

Many sites gave NBA2K14 90% scores and that game to this day has been a buggy mess.

Yet, MLB the Show 14 on Next-Gen can't break through the 80% bracket?

Bah... so many agendas out there. Very troubling to me.

Top Bottom