• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

turnbuckle

Tie Tigers won their 6th in a row and I got my copy of the Show without any trouble.

Sorry other AL Central bums.

I see a trend developing here...

Gaming sites are copying and pasting the PS3 reviews and just adding "Upgraded visuals" to their reviews for the PS4 version.

My problem with that is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY UPGRADED Visuals.

1080p, 60fps, thousands of new animations, completely rebuilt stadiums, dynamic crowds, dynamic HD-DTS audio...

I understand the need to reinforce the "gameplay" over "graphics" motif, but COME ON!!!

This is the smoothest generational transition ever for a sports franchise - nothing was sacrificed and only upgrades were implemented. Why doesn't that deserve some notoriety?

Many sites gave NBA2K14 90% scores and that game to this day has been a buggy mess.

Yet, MLB the Show 14 on Next-Gen can't break through the 80% bracket?

Bah... so many agendas out there. Very troubling to me.

I agree with your general point, but come to a different conclusion. It's not that The Show is getting unfair treatment, but rather that NBA 2k14 got way too much undeserved praise for the next-gen consoles.

If the online issues that were on PS3 exist on the PS4 version then an 8.1 or whatever other 8ish score seems very fair. Still an excellent game offline, but without it being polished online I'd definitely see a full point+ being subtracted from a score. (I'm not talking about the year after year lag - which I don't seem to experience nearly as frequently as others - but rather all the extra bugs and crashes that took place on The Show 14 for PS3)

And I'd rather the game be judged not based on the qualifier that "it's the first sports game in the new gen, next year will be better". If this is the case, then it's next year's game that should be getting the extra high scores. Just like when MLB the Show 08 came out.

Allforce

Yeah it doesn't get much lazier than that IGN review.

It's like reviewing a DVD vs blu-ray version of a film and just hand waving the audio and visual difference away as "eh, it's pretty much the same thing".

Some of these guys need to remember that these are VIDEO games and the visuals and performance should be as major a focus of analysis as the gameplay.

MickeyPhree

Love to be able to be playing this with you guys but I have a preorder digital copy that I can't even begin downloading.

pastapadre

Neo Member

Gaming sites are copying and pasting the PS3 reviews and just adding "Upgraded visuals" to their reviews for the PS4 version.

1080p, 60fps, thousands of new animations, completely rebuilt stadiums, dynamic crowds, dynamic HD-DTS audio...

I understand the need to reinforce the "gameplay" over "graphics" motif, but COME ON!!!

This is the smoothest generational transition ever for a sports franchise - nothing was sacrificed and only upgrades were implemented. Why doesn't that deserve some notoriety?

Many sites gave NBA2K14 90% scores and that game to this day has been a buggy mess.

Most outlets that already don't care about sports games aren't going to invest the time to play the two versions independently and write separate reviews for them. For all the issues reviewers missed with NBA 2K14 on PS4/XB1 it was structured in a way that was dramatically different than the 360/PS3. It wasn't just about graphics - MyCareer and MyGM were brand new. So it was deemed more necessary to spend that time on.

Personally I'm not sure that improved visuals alone make it that much better of a game, but I do think it should be approached in a way that isn't influenced by comparing it to the PS3 version and just noting whatever minor differences there may be.

Tie Tigers won their 6th in a row and I got my copy of the Show without any trouble.

Sorry other AL Central bums.

But where is the fun in watching baseball if you can't watch budding superstars like Gordon Beckham, Moises Sierra and Jordan Danks whiff away and have the pleasure of watching Matt "Matty Ice" Lindstrom have a 50% save percentage?

turnbuckle

Most outlets that already don't care about sports games aren't going to invest the time to play the two versions independently and write separate reviews for them.

Personally I'm not sure that improved visuals alone make it that much better of a game, but I do think it should be approached in a way that isn't influenced by comparing it to the PS3 version and just noting whatever minor differences there may be.

Agree completely.

turnbuckle

But where is the fun in watching baseball if you can't watch budding superstars like Gordon Beckham, Moises Sierra and Jordan Danks whiff away and have the pleasure of watching Matt "Matty Ice" Lindstrom have a 50% save percentage?

Hey, Robbie Ray (guy we got in that heavily criticized Doug Fister trade) is making his MLB debut in place of the oft-injured Anibal Sanchez! Thank god it's against the Asstros.

Gotta love the Tigers-White Sox mutual trade busts with Avisail Garcia and Jose Iglesias both out the entire season.

You picking this up for PS4? If so we gotta play sometime! Don't worry, I'll use my #2 starter Max Scherzer just to be a little fair ;)

turnbuckle

Awesome. Hopefully this isn't infested with pay-to-win bullshit like NBA2K14 was.

In certain modes it most certainly will be, but luckily that's completely separated from the rest of the game. I actually love that mode (Diamond Dynasty) but it certainly skews more towards players who invest real money into it. They have an auction system for cards where people can make pretty good currency without spending if they know how to play the market though. One of my buddies ended up having a budget in excess of a few billion using a few strategies last year and he's already making bank on this year's version.

But things like franchise, RTTS, etc are all perfectly balanced whether you want to spend or not. They've had those microtransactions in the series since 2008 or so.

w00zey

That's the PS3 review.

I think I still want this game. RTTS just looks fun to me. I like RPG-like modes in sports games. Probably the only way I can still enjoy these games. Probably going to pick it up tomorrow when it hits EU PSN.

RTTS is a ton of fun. The mechanics of the game are superb. I wouldn't even hesitate. When I hear things like the PS4 is just upgraded graphics with PS3 gameplay all I can think of is how much I love the gameplay and how addictive RTTS mode is.

Grab it. If you already think you will enjoy it then it is almost certain you will.

Xater

RTTS is a ton of fun. The mechanics of the game are superb. I wouldn't even hesitate. When I hear things like the PS4 is just upgraded graphics with PS3 gameplay all I can think of is how much I love the gameplay and how addictive RTTS mode is.

Grab it. If you already think you will enjoy it then it is almost certain you will.

I played some RTTS in 12 I think and enjoyed it despite not understanding everything. I'll probably be fine with the beginner mode I think. I read up on it and seems to make things quite a bit easier. I'll just ask all the other questions I have about baseball in here. :p

shuri

Banned
Kind of weird questions, but does this game has some sort of historical team option? Like being able to play as dead franchises like the Montreal Expos?

Kind of weird questions, but does this game has some sort of historical team option? Like being able to play as dead franchises like the Montreal Expos?

You could create the Montreal Expos in Diamond Dynasty. That's why I did. You aren't going to be able to have any of their old players on the team though.

Glad I ended up going physical on this. I was deadset on digital this year until I found a copy to buy on Friday.

I legitimately thought that after last night's PSN release snafu that I would be able to wake up this morning and start downloading the game, but I guess not. I can't believe how bad Sony has fucked up this release, and how they have said nothing about the issue. Even if I choose to buy games digitally at all in the future, I will never pre-order digitally and tie up my money in the PSN store ever again. I know people are requesting refunds, but by the time I got on the phone, requested the damn thing, and actually got the money in my bank account the game would probably be on PSN :/

Hasney

"Horrendous load times" has un-sold me on the game more than anything else. I'm not coping with that, so hopefully we see a patch.
As much as I'm not a big fan of his writing, the response on his twitter account to that tweet is pretty egregious.

DUDE IT'S PRETTY MEANING IT CANNOT BE AN 8.1 OMGZ XBOX ONE FANBOY.

Ahhhh, the rise of the internet is a joy to behold.

what the fuck is going on with the store update? people have payed for the game and on top of that they are earning millions with PS+ and the quality of service has been utter shit.. they are the worst part of SCEA

MickeyPhree

what the fuck is going on with the store update? people have payed for the game and on top of that they are earning millions with PS+ and the quality of service has been utter shit.. they are the worst part of SCEA

The lack of communication from the company is what's pissing me off at this point.

Pop

Well this is the last time I pre-order from the store ever again. I rather put up with Walmart at Midnight for 30 minutes and be guaranteed a copy.

Well this is the last time I pre-order from the store ever again. I rather put up with Walmart at Midnight for 30 minutes and be guaranteed a copy.

yeah it looks like im never pre ordering the digital version again unless Sony makes online releases consistent.

Yopis

Still play 2k time to time they deserve credit for rebuilding from scratch. Mlb does scream PS3 and they still have the same 3 body types.

abrack08

Is there online chat support for Sony/Playstation that would be able to issue refunds? I want to ask for a refund and go pick up a physical copy, but I can't call because I'm at work

abrack08

I don't know why they should be able to deny refunds in this situation... the advertised service is not working, and the game is "unopened", so to speak.

skynidas

Banned
I don't know why they should be able to deny refunds in this situation... the advertised service is not working, and the game is "unopened", so to speak.

psn has a non refund policy. but in this case if you insist they will probably refund you the money to the wallet.

So anybody had any experience with the online?? I'm dying to know.

I'd be more interested in just head to head against friends rather than doing online leagues, will that make any difference in terms of lag? Has it in the past?

Saganator

So anybody had any experience with the online?? I'm dying to know.

I'd be more interested in just head to head against friends rather than doing online leagues, will that make any difference in terms of lag? Has it in the past?

I watched a dev play an online Homerun Derby game last night, seemed pretty smooth. The devs have said publicly the new netcode is a work in progress, some aspects may be better than last, but some may not. They seem pretty dedicated to get it working the best they can, though.

Top Bottom