• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Korezo

I see a trend developing here...

Gaming sites are copying and pasting the PS3 reviews and just adding "Upgraded visuals" to their reviews for the PS4 version.

My problem with that is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY UPGRADED Visuals.

1080p, 60fps, thousands of new animations, completely rebuilt stadiums, dynamic crowds, dynamic HD-DTS audio...

I understand the need to reinforce the "gameplay" over "graphics" motif, but COME ON!!!

This is the smoothest generational transition ever for a sports franchise - nothing was sacrificed and only upgrades were implemented. Why doesn't that deserve some notoriety?

Many sites gave NBA2K14 90% scores and that game to this day has been a buggy mess.

Yet, MLB the Show 14 on Next-Gen can't break through the 80% bracket?

Bah... so many agendas out there. Very troubling to me.

You kidding, MLB the show jump from past to current gen is probably the equivalent of maddens jump from past to current. Both talked about adding grass blades and upgraded stadiums when in the end the over all look of the game looks very similar to last gens. And then the gameplay stays untouched. While in NBA the game was overhauled, way different than past gens, new much way better graphics and animations while also changing the gameplay.

How much is the PS4 version, I've still got $10 in my account from the promo earlier in the year. Nothing else coming out that I would use it with I don't think.

Ricky_R

You kidding, MLB the show jump from past to current gen is probably the equivalent of maddens jump from past to current. Both talked about adding grass blades and upgraded stadiums when in the end the over all look of the game looks very similar to last gens. And then the gameplay stays untouched. While in NBA the game was overhauled, way different than past gens, new much way better graphics and animations while also changing the gameplay.

Did you actually check the comparison shots? Not saying that the difference warrants a different score, just that the differences are considerable between the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Saganator

Gameplay changes if they had just played the game for more than a few hours, they would've saw the glaring issues in the "overhauled" game modes. NBA does not deserve the score it got, it should've been shat all over by the press, but they instead praised it. I don't get how that game is still charting on NPD.

Did you actually check the comparison shots? Not saying that the difference warrants a different score, just that the differences are considerable between the PS3 and PS4 versions.

To play devil's advocate - one could argue that they both deserve the same score, given their respective visuals for the system they're on. The PS3 version looks and plays like an 8.1-worthy PS3 game. You could even argue that given the better hardware, the PS4 version deserves a lower score because the increased memory and speed should mean better AI and more stadiums and modes.

Xater

Gameplay changes if they had just played the game for more than a few hours, they would've saw the glaring issues in the "overhauled" game modes. NBA does not deserve the score it got, it should've been shat all over by the press, but they instead praised it. I don't get how that game is still charting on NPD.

I stopped playing that game because I actually ran into a pay wall. In a game I paid 60€ for. Then I made the decision that it was my first and last NBA 2K game.

Ricky_R

To play devil's advocate - one could argue that they both deserve the same score, given their respective visuals for the system they're on. The PS3 version looks and plays like an 8.1-worthy PS3 game. You could even argue that given the better hardware, the PS4 version deserves a lower score because the increased memory and speed should mean better AI and more stadiums and modes.

My reply wasn't about the score (I made that clear in my post), but more about the differences between both versions being larger than what Korezo suggested.

Hasney

I see a trend developing here...

Gaming sites are copying and pasting the PS3 reviews and just adding "Upgraded visuals" to their reviews for the PS4 version.

My problem with that is that they are SIGNIFICANTLY UPGRADED Visuals.

1080p, 60fps, thousands of new animations, completely rebuilt stadiums, dynamic crowds, dynamic HD-DTS audio...

I understand the need to reinforce the "gameplay" over "graphics" motif, but COME ON!!!

This is the smoothest generational transition ever for a sports franchise - nothing was sacrificed and only upgrades were implemented. Why doesn't that deserve some notoriety?

Many sites gave NBA2K14 90% scores and that game to this day has been a buggy mess.

Yet, MLB the Show 14 on Next-Gen can't break through the 80% bracket?

Bah... so many agendas out there. Very troubling to me.

I've not played this yet, but from what I'm reading, the gameplay is exactly the same. NBA 2k14 is horrible due to their microtransaction system, but the actual gameplay on the court has been improved and noticeably so after playing both PS4 and PC games.

The notes I've seen on the PS4 version so far is the exact same game with a different coat of paint with the addition of abysmal load times and framerate drops with some of the presentation.

Having the same score is fair to me. In fact, no matter how pretty it is, the fact that the load times are bad makes me want to pick up the PS3 version instead,

To those complaining about the digital version I just wanted to point out that I bought the physical disc and I've spent the last hour waiting for it to install. It says it is only at 60% for the 2 teams that I've selected to play (Mets vs Braves at Citi Field). The overall install progress is only 40%. At least I'll be able to get some errands done while I wait...

newsguy

To those complaining about the digital version I just wanted to point out that I bought the physical disc and I've spent the last hour waiting for it to install. It says it is only at 60% for the 2 teams that I've selected to play (Mets vs Braves at Citi Field). The overall install progress is only 40%. At least I'll be able to get some errands done while I wait...

So it doesn't let you play while you wait?

newsguy

It lets you mess around in the menus, but as soon as you start to play an actual game it says "The required data has not finished downloading".

Damn... I wouldn't mind something like nba2k where it lets you play with no announcers and installs while you get a feel for the controls.

Xater

Damn... I wouldn't mind something like nba2k where it lets you play with no announcers and installs while you get a feel for the controls.

In the Giant Bomb QL some teams were installed quite quickly and when they selected those they could play.

Pimpwerx

The PSN store has had major problems with updating and content delivery since the fucking thing first went online. What's the point in having a digital delivery platform when you're slower than retail? Seriously. Anyone? I don't understand it, and this is something that happens every goddamn week. For what...8 years now?

Every Tuesday, no one knows what time of day the store will update, our even if it'll update that day. Two major games have been released by Sony and neither was up at midnight. How come every other multimedia store front can have day1 content on *gasp* day1? Google and Apple can get content up in time. Video streaming sites can to. There's no reason the store should be experiencing problems uploading last night, because the files should've been up there a week ago, and the delivery system tested thoroughly to make sure that when the clock hits midnight, the customers get what you spammed them into pre-purchasing. Otherwise, remove the goddamn option to preorder, because there is no point paying early for something you'll just end up getting late.

Gamers bitch about do much dumb shit, but have allowed the shit staff of the PSN store slide on good graces. Grace Chen, or whatever her name is should be fired. She has had almost a decade to get this right and she obviously doesn't know what she's doing. The PSN store is one of the least reliable sources for media content. That's unacceptable for a multimedia company. PEACE.

Allforce

Those of you pining for a refund for the digital version being "late" need to check your expectations. Just because the game wasn't out at 12:01 AM doesn't mean you're entitled to your money back. The release date is 05/06/2014 and here we are.

I honestly can't believe someone would be so irate that the game is a little bit late being uploaded digitally that they run out and buy a physical copy and open it. You waited this long, what's a few more hours?

skynidas

Banned
Those of you pining for a refund for the digital version being "late" need to check your expectations. Just because the game wasn't out at 12:01 AM doesn't mean you're entitled to your money back. The release date is 05/06/2014 and here we are.

I honestly can't believe someone would be so irate that the game is a little bit late being uploaded digitally that they run out and buy a physical copy and open it. You waited this long, what's a few more hours?

your argument would be valid if they didn't specifically said in the store when you pre-order the game that it will be available at that exact time.

This. AFAIK, they never promised a midnight release as they did with Infamous. They promised May 6th, so you aren't entitled to a refund unless you don't get the game today. Though I'm not sure if they promised it at 12:01. I certainly never saw that they did.

Pimpwerx

Just the principle of it. Online stores update quickly and places that do special midnight releases tend to have their shit together. PSN had been inconsistent forever. Simple as that. Why do we even know Grace Chen's name? She doesn't make games. She doesn't do pr. Why is her name even known other than she sucks at her job?

I'm not irate, as I'm not looking for a refund or anything. I'll queue it from work. However, it's very disappointing how flakey the store is after all these years. It has to do one thing first and foremost, deliver games and demos to the gaming machines connected to it. They can't get that working reliably. This is since the ps3 launch. Not sure that can be excused. PEACE.

EDIT: This is about communication with the customer. Establishment of some reliable policy the customer can trust. Set a date or time for weekly releases, and deviation/hiccups can have a little psa or something on the site. It's not like their servers are great at handling impatient clicker traffic.

Pop

Your argument doesn't apply here. Most of us probably pre-ordered because of the pre-load feature that didn't come. Also if I can go to a store at 12:01am and buy the game, I expect PSN to follow the same rules.

And this is hardly a little late. Almost 11 hours later and here we are with no game.

sangreal

This. AFAIK, they never promised a midnight release as they did with Infamous. They promised May 6th, so you aren't entitled to a refund unless you don't get the game today. Though I'm not sure if they promised it at 12:01. I certainly never saw that they did.

If you're not sure, why make this post?

QCwz7kK.jpg

TheGrue

Did the predownload feature that got added n the latest firmware not work for this game? Obviously they would still have to unlock, but just curious if those that went digital at least already have it downloaded.

Pimpwerx

If you're not sure, why make this post?

QCwz7kK.jpg
Aha! I knew I read that somewhere. I didn't want to say it because I couldn't prove it, but those of us who've preordered have seen this message. Infamous had the same. That's why so many of us were sure it'd be there at midnight. The dev thought so too. So I'm not crazy afterall! PEACE.

Pop

Did the predownload feature that got added n the latest firmware not work for this game? Obviously they would still have to unlock, but just curious if those that went digital at least already have it downloaded.

No it did not. We are still waiting.

Xater

No that feature is still just for selected titles. Watchdogs will be the first one that uses it.

MickeyPhree

Got off the phone with sony at 1115. I was told it will be avail sometime between 1-4pst. Said that was unacceptable and asked for a credit to my psn wallet and was given a request number. Told it would take 3-5 business days.

I then got in my car, drove two minutes, down the road and bought the game. Even if sony doesn't give a refund, I'll just sell my physical copy on eBay or craigslist or maybe a gaffer.

Xater

Got off the phone with sony at 1115. I was told it will be avail sometime between 1-4pst. Said that was unacceptable and asked for a credit to my psn wallet and was given a request number. Told it would take 3-5 business days.

I then got in my car, drove two minutes, down the road and bought the game. Even if sony doesn't give a refund, I'll just sell my physical copy on eBay or craigslist or maybe a gaffer.

Isn't that the regular PSN update timeframe? lol

Pop

A regular Tuesday store update is far off from 12:01am. Thx Sony

R3TRODYCE

Been standing in line at Gs waiting to pick this up for 15 mins; The guy in front of me decided to buy everything in the damn store...

Couleurs

For anyone who has been able to play, how are online games? Over the last few weeks I read about how PS3 online was absolute shit as usual, but held out hopes the PS4 version would be improved.

Of course maybe today is a bad day to judge online aspects due to various launch day fuck ups, but I'll ask anyway :)

abrack08

It was more wondering if they had promised it than it was a declaration.

Huh? This is a business we're talking about. They're not going to say "We promise you can download this exactly at 12:01."

Putting "DOWNLOAD ANY TIME AFTER 12:01 EST!" on the pre-order page IS a promise. For a lot of people, myself included, that was the deciding factor in going digital. Start the download right at midnight, don't have to go to the store, can play the next day with (what should have been) no hassle.

Marleyman

Banned
Played PS3 version online with a friend of mine; online was just as bad as last year. This is the one sport that they need to perfect online with and it honestly is the worst out of any of them, performance wise. I know EA gets a ton of hate however I would love to play a baseball game on their servers. Madden, fifa and even nba live run smooth online.

TheGrue

Well that stinks. On the subject of refunds, I had called Sony when I accidentally bought Child of Light for PS3 instead of PS4. I instantly realized, bought the PS4 version, and called them asking for a refund. The person on the phone said sure, but got a decline email citing all sales are final. Stinks as they can see I never downloaded the PS3 version and I called right after the mistake. Luckily it is only $15, so not a huge loss.

Huh? This is a business we're talking about. They're not going to say "We promise you can download this exactly at 12:01."

Putting "DOWNLOAD ANY TIME AFTER 12:01 EST!" on the pre-order page IS a promise. For a lot of people, myself included, that was the deciding factor in going digital. Start the download right at midnight, don't have to go to the store, can play the next day with (what should have been) no hassle.

I meant that I wasn't making a declaration one way or another. I was just wondering really.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This thing up on PSN yet?

I didn't go to gamestop yesterday to get my free $20 game credit for preordering so I'm thinking I'll grab digital since I never end up selling these. I have 2009 - 2013 sitting on the shelf.

Top Bottom