• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

zroid

Banned
giphy.gif

That's why he's better suited to the BP. Maintains his high velo but can mask his control problems better and doesn't have to worry about his stuff dropping after 60+ pitches.

Malo

Banned
And just like that the 5 slot flitters away from him. If he locks it down the rest of ST I hope he can, but, he has not looked at all comfortable today.

Has had nice stuff today. If you want a stream link (haven't bought MLBtv yet) I can PM you.
Yes please.

Parch

Tabler has actually improved a lot. When he started he had mind to mouth bobbling problem but now I like him as an announcer.

Parch

That's better. Izturis gets a hit. Pillar homer. Pompey stolen base.

Viciedo's strength is against lefties so a platoon in left with Pillar would make sense.

Who wins the 2B job? A healthy Izturis probably should. I have no idea what Devon Travis brings, but he's not a teenager so he could be ready to grab the job. I'm not keen on Goins at all.

Parch

I want to like Goins. I would like him more if they had a more competent outfield.
Not if he's going to hit .188, but he could hit .250. Maicer should be able to hit better and really isn't significantly worse defensively.

Now we get to see Travis. Nice minor league numbers.

Parch

Jays absolutely don't want Smoak at 1st.
Why not? Buck was praising his defence so it really depends on the bat. I wonder what Encarnacion thinks about DHing a lot.

Encarnacion at first and Viciedo DH might be the better option if Smoak is going to stink hitting .200.

Why not? Buck was praising his defence so it really depends on the bat. I wonder what Encarnacion thinks about DHing a lot.

Encarnacion at first and Viciedo DH might be the better option if Smoak is going to stink hitting .200.

Because he's not a very good player. He's got a poor wRC+ (77 last year), a poor UZR (career rating of 0), a middling contact rate, and he's not likely to develop much more.

He's just a bad to mediocre player that should be a platoon bat and spot starter at best.

Parch

Encarnacion's UZR was worse so Smoak is an upgrade.

Improved defence is actually a big positive for the Jays this year. Martin is a big upgrade at catcher. Donaldson an upgrade over Lawrie. Pompey in center is good. 2B will be alright. A healthy Reyes all year solidifies short. Pillar is an upgrade over Melky.
They just need to hide Viciedo's glove.

I'm switching over to the Indians vs Reds since all the bench players are coming out for the Jays Pirates game. That oppo homer by Kang was shocking. Buc fans should be stoked.

3N16MA

Banned

I wouldn't put much faith into what Buck says. Smoak's defense is nothing special and his bat is horrible.

32 players have played at least 2500 innings at 1B since 2010.

Smoak ranks:

DRS - 27th
UZR- 19h

His defensive value his non existent.

I wouldn't put much faith into what Buck says. Smoak's defense is nothing special and his bat is horrible.

32 players have played at least 2500 innings at 1B since 2010.

Smoak ranks:

DRS - 27th
UZR- 19h

His defensive value his non existent.

Yeah, at least a guy like Encarnacion offers enough of a bat to compensate for his bad defense. Smoak does neither.

Parch

Yeah, at least a guy like Encarnacion offers enough of a bat to compensate for his bad defense. Smoak does neither.
Somebody's gotta DH. I'm assuming Navarro will be gone.

Smoak gets the opportunity at 1B/DH because there isn't a lot of competition. Is Collabello going to steal his roster spot? I doubt it.

Valencia could backup 1st so if Viciedo can be a hitting beast he can get a lot of AB's as DH. When Saunders gets back it's entirely possible that Smoak will disappear. All depends on his bat, and he'll get a fair shot at earning a spot.

zroid

Banned
That Goins can't hit is such a missed opportunity with regards to the obvious pun you could get from his name

I guess it could work for strike outs too.

Parch

Jays lose but made a game of it anyway. So nice watching baseball again.

All sorts of of roster decisions for the Blue Jays. The bullpen spots are wide open to win.

Top Bottom