• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Jake Wesley MLB ‏@mlb_nl_al 39s39 seconds ago

UPDATE: since hearing Red Sox 6/130 offer to Lester, Cubs have topped offer. Don't think sox want to negotiate.

Time for the Jays to steal another FA from the Cubs

Come on AA

Josh5890

Cubs have offered Lester a contract significantly more than 135 million.

As a Cubs fan I would love to have him on the team but I can't imagine the end off this contract being as pretty as the first few years. I hate seeing a Pitcher get a mega deal for 6+ years. I haven't see one come remotely close to working out for the team. Mike Hampton, Barry Zito, Kevin Brown, need I say more?

thefro

As a Cubs fan I would love to have him on the team but I can't imagine the end off this contract being as pretty as the first few years. I hate seeing a Pitcher get a mega deal for 6+ years. I haven't see one come remotely close to working out for the team. Mike Hampton, Barry Zito, Kevin Brown, need I say more?

We're going to have to overpay for pitching at some point, whether in money or prospects (or both, if we trade for someone like Hamels).

Sanjuro

As a Cubs fan, the fact you are worried about your team staying under budget is mind boggling.

So at the kind of money Sandoval received to play with the Red Sox and the Giants topping that offer and getting g rejected, I feel like he made up his mind when his brother flipped his shit over that 3 year 40m deal last year. I'm OK with this. My wish list for the Giants is this:

Let Romo, Peavy, Vogalsong, and Morse walk.
Sign Tomas(if some team gives him some crazy money then try to get Rasmus)
Sign either Ervin Santana, Francisco Liriano, or Jason Hammel
Sign Headley

Oh and hire Bonds as the third base coach

If this ended up as a best case scenario it'd look like this :

starters: Mad bum, Cain, Santana, Hudson, Lincecum.

Bullpen: Petit, Strickland or Kontos, Affeldt, Machi, Lopez, Casilla

Starting lineup:

Pagan CF
Panik 2b
Posey C
Pence RF
Belt 1b
Tomas LF
Headley 3b
Crawford SS
Mad Bum P

Bench: Susac, Blanco, Arias, Duffy, Ishikawa, last spot for someone on the 40 man roster to make the team in spring training.

I'd be happy with this team. Like, really happy.

As a Cubs fan, the fact you are worried about your team staying under budget is mind boggling.
Yeah pretty much. We are rebuilding a good portion of Wrigley and will be getting a fuckton of money from the new TV and radio deals. And our position players are pretty cheap as well. So for the next 3 or so offseasons we can spend a lot.
Also the Giants are reportedly interested in Valbuena for the Cubs. He would be a great pickup as his 2.7 war was just below Pablo's last year.

Looks like Dave Martinez is getting out of Tampa after not getting the managerial job.

Marc Topkin ‏@TBTimes_Rays
Dave Martinez makes it official he will leave #Rays, via statement: "It was a hard decision that I think is best for myself and the Rays."

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If the Nats trade away Harper due to "management issues" it would actually make up for the Braves trading away Heyward. I would laugh forever.

Braves are supposedly talking to David Ross and A.J. Pierzynski about being Bethancourt's backup next year.

The Marlins have supposedly contacted the Tigers about what it would take to acquire David Price and Rick Porcello.

Enron

Banned
Kia Tigers have rejected the bid for Hyeon-jong Yang. Whether it was the Twins or Rangers, doesn't matter anymore!

Sorry Lambtron. Twins forever destined to not have pitching

April 13 (Home Opener): Rally Towel (on entrance) and Magnet Schedule (on exit) - 45,000
April 14-16: Magnet Schedule (on exit) - 10,000 (each game)
April 19: Jose Bautista bobblehead - 20,000
May 5: Social media t-shirt - 15,000
May 10: Brett Lawrie replica white jersey
May 24: Blue Jays trucker hat
June 7: Marcus Stroman bobblehead
June 28: Blue Jays white panel hat
July 1: Blue Jays Forces t-shirt
July 29: Blue Jays winter mittens
August 2: Blue Jays welcome mat
August 3: Russell Martin bobblehead
August 16: George Bell-Lloyd Moseby-Jesse Barfield bobblehead - 20,000
August 30: Blue Jays replica red jersey
September 18: Social media t-shirt - 15,000
September 27: Blue Jays hoodie

I may show up for these bobblehead days.

we will throw in Workman also. lol

So your offer is
Cespedes (29 years old, 2.7 projected 2015 fWAR 1yr remaining on deal)
Brandon Workman (26 years old, 0.9 projected 2015 fWAR, relief pitcher, not currently under contract as far as I can tell)

For

Felix Hernandez (28 years old, 4.6 projected 2015 fWAR, 5 years remaining on contract)

Ignoring the logistics of trading a player you don't even have under contract, this seems kind of lopsidedly bad.

Edit: I guess Workman is pre-arb eligible so he's making peanuts and is under contract.

jbug617

Banned
Yanks made an offer for Rollins but they don't have enough to get a deal done. Amaro comments on Amaro

Amaro said Rollins is "somebody we want on our club" & would be "very hard to replace." Rollins was never asked to waive no-trade for NYY

So your offer is
Cespedes (29 years old, 2.7 projected 2015 fWAR 1yr remaining on deal)
Brandon Workman (26 years old, 0.9 projected 2015 fWAR, relief pitcher, not currently under contract as far as I can tell)

For

Felix Hernandez (28 years old, 4.6 projected 2015 fWAR, 5 years remaining on contract)

Ignoring the logistics of trading a player you don't even have under contract, this seems kind of lopsidedly bad.

Edit: I guess Workman is pre-arb eligible so he's making peanuts and is under contract.

I was trolling, I expect the Red Sox to go after Iwakuma

clemenx

Banned
Felix is 28? The fuck. I had him at 30 already. It is crazy when people enter this young at baseball. There are 28yo who can't be FA yet lol.

Top Bottom