• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

zroid

Banned
It is interesting that AA's two big moves so far were adding talent in positions people felt didn't really need it. Certainly not high on the priority list anyway. Even so they were good adds. You gotta figure then that the Jays are serious about fixing their actual problems.

Maybe they know something about Donaldson. Watch him fall off a cliff in production now!

Actually looking into it more, I didn't realize that Lawrie had actually been pretty decent and projects to get better given his age. Meanwhile Donaldson is 29 so he's probably gonna hit his decline soon. I still don't like it but I guess I can see Beane's logic.

Actually looking into it more, I didn't realize that Lawrie had actually been pretty decent and projects to get better given his age. Meanwhile Donaldson is 29 so he's probably gonna hit his decline soon. I still don't like it but I guess I can see Beane's logic.

Lawrie isn't a bad player at all, but he's constantly injured. Some of them have been freak injuries, but even they were caused by his style of play -- i.e. almost killing himself by diving headfirst into the camera bay at Yankee Stadium. It'd be great to see him put it all together for a full season, but I can't see him staying on the field. Barreto is the guy A's fans should be really excited for. He should be good in a couple of years.

Meanwhile, the Jays just got the best third baseman in baseball. Still trying to believe it!

zroid

Banned
Lawrie just needs some good coaching. If he gets that in Oakland, he'll be great. The trade could very likely be a win/win, it's just a now vs. future thing. Of course talking about the Blue Jays in terms of "now" is always scary.

He couldn't have been shopped very hard. I'm not complaining, of course, but there's no way that Lawrie, two borderline pitching prospects and a far-off middle infield prospect are the best he could've gotten for one of the best all around players in baseball.

Reading Athletics Nation, people really seem pissed at Beane's trades going back to Cespedes for Lester. It seems like he's just creating holes where none existed before.

gaming_noob

Looks like I'll go to more than one Jays game this season!

Andy Dirks or Pillar as LF, Pompey as CF, Smoak as DH and Izturis as 2B... these are the question marks left..

Jays need to go after Howie Kendrick now

2B is probably their least pressing concern of their three holes. That prospect they got from the Tigers a week or two ago for Gose seems ML-ready, and if not, the lineup is stacked enough that Goins' glove would make up for him hitting .200. An OF with Bautista + scrubs/Pompey seems like a recipe for disaster.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It doesn't even feel like he was shopped. I think Beane only focused on the Jays.

He couldn't have been shopped very hard. I'm not complaining, of course, but there's no way that Lawrie, two borderline pitching prospects and a far-off middle infield prospect are the best he could've gotten for one of the best all around players in baseball.

Reading Athletics Nation, people really seem pissed at Beane's trades going back to Cespedes for Lester. It seems like he's just creating holes where none existed before.
Based on some of the reporting I saw last night, Donaldson wasn't shopped. The Blue Jays asked, Beane said no. They asked again with this package, and Beane said "oh, OK, sure!"

Parch

Interesting deal for the Jays. Lawrie's reckless play doesn't help his oblique problems, but there's still a lot of potential there. Those pitchers are apparently close to major league ready and that SS is a good prospect so it's a hefty price to pay, but you just don't get a chance to get a player like Donaldson very often. The term is important and having him locked up for a few years is significant.

Still lots of holes in that offence and they'll need bullpen help too, but once again it's a year where AA is giving it his best shot at making improvements.

There was a good article by Joel Shermna about how the Cubs and Red Sox are going to continue to have great offseasons because everyone wants hitting. And the Mets are screwed because no one wants pitching.

jbug617

Banned
Rosenthal says the Astros might throw money at David Robertson. Speculation they have a 3yr/$39 million offer
Yanks are going after Andrew Miller

Edit: Pirates are trading for Sean Rodriguez of the Rays.

Jays need to go after Howie Kendrick now

I would like Kendrick but the Jays need to focus on getting some bullpen arms right now. They have that Navarro chip they still need to use. Hopefully that's for bullpen help.

I'd take Kendrick though. The Jays have been linked to Kendrick forever.

Also, Melky. I just don't think it's going to happen though.

jbug617

Banned
ESPN guys reporting the Padres are shopping Yasmani Grandal aggressively.

Edit: Giants meeting with Lester today and he has 2 team interviews over the phone this week.

4 years for a one dimensional 34 year old with one PED suspension already under his belt. Never change, Jack.

Edit: and they give up a draft pick too. Deal just keeps on giving.

Paches

4 years for a one dimensional 34 year old with one PED suspension already under his belt. Never change, Jack.

Edit: and they give up a draft pick too. Deal just keeps on giving.

He had his best WAR season last year post-PED suspension. I don't know how that happens.

Also, I am fine with him being a terrible fielder. The M's haven't had a DH that can hit above 230 consistently since Edgar Martinez.

BFIB

Mo on local radio says the meeting with Lester is "due dilligence." Why even meet if your not planning on making an offer?

He had his best WAR season last year post-PED suspension. I don't know how that happens.

Also, I am fine with him being a terrible fielder. The M's haven't had a DH that can hit above 230 consistently since Edgar Martinez.

And his strike out rate somehow improved.

If Nelson Cruz is only worth .5 WAR next year he's basically the best DH Jack Z has had in Seattle. That's pretty damn awful when you think about it.

The Mariners are clearly trying to win this year and next year and not worrying too much beyond that.

jakncoke

Banned
Rosenthal says the Astros might throw money at David Robertson. Speculation they have a 3yr/$39 million offer
Yanks are going after Andrew Miller

Edit: Pirates are trading for Sean Rodriguez of the Rays.

Designated gaby to make room. Seems the front office is either punting 1B like usual or all in on Pedro to 1st

jbug617

Banned
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...er-cubs-said-to-bid-138m-sox-130m-braves-less

Giants use Tim Hudson and Bochy to pitch Lester on playing with the Giants.

Sources suggest the Cubs have bid $138 million over six years for Lester, and the Red Sox suggested at least a willingness to go to $130 million for six years, while word is the Braves, Lester's current hometown team, bid somewhat lower than that. It's possible also that Chicago and Boston will go up from there, if they haven't already.

Heyman tweeted that Lester bidding should come in at around $150m.

Top Bottom