• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

jbug617

Banned
Mariners trade Saunders to Jays for Happ according to Jayson Stark.
Heyman says the Yanks aren't in on Lester. He said if they go after SP it will be Scherzer

Markakis at $11.25M per year is good isn't it? I would do that over paying Melky $15M per year.

$11.25mm (per year) / $7.5mm (per win) = 1.5 WAR

He was worth 1.3 WAR last year, so its not a bargain or anything.

Mariners trade Saunders to Jays for Happ according to Jayson Stark.
Heyman says the Yanks aren't in on Lester. He said if they go after SP it will be Scherzer

Collecting them Canucks.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Torii Hunter when he left the Twins.

Torii Hunter said:
It will be hard for the Twins to attract free agents, Hunter added, because the new stadium lacks a roof.

"People aren't even thinking about this," he said. "I wouldn't play in Minnesota unless my career was at an end and I had to go to Minnesota to play the game. ... People think that's not true -- that's 100 percent accurate. This is coming from a player, so I'm telling you."

Aarrrrrrrgggggh.

gaming_noob

$11.25mm (per year) / $7.5mm (per win) = 1.5 WAR

He was worth 1.3 WAR last year, so its not a bargain or anything.

Ahh alright that makes sense.

Justin Smoak and Michael Saunders were pretty hyped prospects a few years ago and now the Jays have both of them lol. This offseason has been entertaining for a Jays fan.

He's also 31, so unless he hits up Dr. Bosche he will likely see a decline in production and value over the next 4 years meaning he won't come close to being worth it.

Oh it is a multi year deal? Yeah that's awful. He's gonna be worth it in year one maybe, but if you apply the standard aging WAR loss he's gonna be over paid a lot every year after. I don't know why anyone would give Markakis more than 1 year.

Ahh alright that makes sense.

Justin Smoak and Michael Saunders were pretty hyped prospects a few years ago and now the Jays have both of them lol. This offseason has been entertaining for a Jays fan.

Saunders is a good player who can't stay healthy. Smoak is not a good player.

Macattk15

So mad the M's traded Saunders for Happ.

Must mean they have another deal in mind for an outfielder I hope ... please don't use Cruz in the outfield.

Macattk15

Maybe Justin Upton.

I'd rather just pay Melky and keep our prospects. But possibly.

Justin Upton is overhyped. Next Griffey Next Griffey ... hasn't done anything remotely close yet!

Zduriencik on Saunders trade -We were in a position where we needed to add a starting pitcher. On another OF-we're in a lot of discussions

So I take it Kemp talks are gone!!

Phew!!

I think he is mad cause they didn't resign shitty Markakis?

Happ was decent as a 5th starter but I don't think we need him with the current rotation if Sanchez is going to be in.

Do the Jays have a 6th starter when someone goes down?

I guess this means the Jays are out of the running for Melky?

I'm seriously wondering if Baltimore is going to scoop him up in the next 24 hrs.

So mad the M's traded Saunders for Happ.

Must mean they have another deal in mind for an outfielder I hope ... please don't use Cruz in the outfield.

They've apparently been talking to Colorado FWIW.

Still, 2 years of a cost controlled 2+ win OFer for 1 year $6.7mm for an AT MOST 2 win SP is not a good deal.

RBH

Braves have signed former closer Jim Johnson to a 1-year deal. Money amount unknown.

post-20064-This-is-the-worst-gif-michael-1D75.gif

RBH

Thinking about it, the Markakis deal is kinda odd. It's as if the Braves don't know whether they want to contend this year or rebuild. After the Heyward trade, I'd rather them just go full 100% with the rebuild to be honest rather than try to stay middle-of-the-pack.

RBH

billy-beane-athletics.jpg

Now that Josh Donaldson has left the Athletics, we can go to the next step: juicy stories about internal discord leaking to the media. This particular story describes a big argument between Donaldson and general manager Billy Beane.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that during the season, before the All-Star Break, Donaldson and Beane had clashed when Donaldson asked for a couple of days off. The two told the Chronicle it was a normal talk, but Scott Miller had a different version in his Bleacher Report column (fourth section):

"Donaldson told the manager he needed a blow, and [Bob] Melvin said, 'You got it,' " the source said. "Then that night's lineup came out and Billy asked, 'Where's Donaldson?'"

When told what happened, the source says, an angry Beane demanded that Melvin put Donaldson back into the lineup.

"They got into it in the coach's office," the source says, describing a scene in which Beane lit into Donaldson, with the third baseman reiterating his need for a day off and petulantly calling Beane "Billy Boy."

"Nobody talks to Billy that way," the source said. "It did not surprise me in the least that he got rid of Donaldson."
http://deadspin.com/report-josh-donaldson-billy-beane-had-heated-argument-1666138609

Top Bottom