• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Overlee

6iFUQnH.jpg

The Kemp to San Diego rumors that won't die make no sense to me. I'm wondering if San Diego's front office is just leaking these rumors so they can say they tried to add somebody? Why would they want Kemp in that huge outfield? While The Doyers need a catcher, Grandal isn't exactly Mike Piazza or even Russell Martin. Plus they would be trading away their best RH bat and would still need to pay somebody to take Either.

If money was an issue I could maybe understand it but even if he puts up the same numbers next year his contract doesn't look so bad. He's not Josh Hamilton!

Now it's Chris Bassitt and Marcus Semien according to Susan Slusser. She is pretty reliable. But I bet we get some other names thrown around later.

edit: Like Bassitt, good arm but lacks a third pitch to be a ML starter IMO. Could be a really good reliever.

El_Chino

I don't even know how to respond to this so I won't.
Go right ahead. Robertson was an excellent set-up man, perhaps one of the best ever but as a closer I wasn't that impress. I guess I was spoiled by Rivera.

Yes I know his numbers
I like Bentances better
I know a closer is also a reliever but you know what I meant.

jbug617

Banned
Still don't get what Billy is doing. He didn't shop Donaldson and traded Samardzija before Lester signed. He probably could of had a good bidding war going

zulux21

Now it's Chris Bassitt and Marcus Semien according to Susan Slusser. She is pretty reliable. But I bet we get some other names thrown around later.

edit: Like Bassitt, good arm but lacks a third pitch to be a ML starter IMO. Could be a really good reliever.

I didn't mind bassitt but if it's semien, bassit and some throw in for the shark I find that to be alright.

as for David Robertson, not to happy about that signing, but at the same time it is nice to know there is likely going to be a solid guy at the end... plus while it's more than I would want to see him paid the white sox still have like 15mil min to play around with to finish fixing the bullpen.

Jas

@JonHeymanCBS said:
lester said to have 6- and 7-year offers. most expect deal to wind up in $150-175M range. #giants #cubs #redsox #dodgers

4/70 looks great Boston, haha

Bring on Justin Masterson for opening day at Fenway!

6iFUQnH.jpg

The Kemp to San Diego rumors that won't die make no sense to me. I'm wondering if San Diego's front office is just leaking these rumors so they can say they tried to add somebody? Why would they want Kemp in that huge outfield? While The Doyers need a catcher, Grandal isn't exactly Mike Piazza or even Russell Martin. Plus they would be trading away their best RH bat and would still need to pay somebody to take Either.

If money was an issue I could maybe understand it but even if he puts up the same numbers next year his contract doesn't look so bad. He's not Josh Hamilton!

padres have no offense.. its obvious why they'd want kemp.. also watch his highlights on youtube he's constantly killing them lol

but yeah trading him for a slight upgrade over aj ellis seems ridiculous.. plus the guy is a ped user and has had knee surgery

i have to wonder if the dodgers have asked kemp if he values playing CF over playing for the dodgers.. cause he'd definitely get CF for the padres

zulux21

Are the Sox favorites to win the Central now?

the tigers are likely still the favorites, but the white sox aren't done yet. As they still have like 15 mil left to get back to last years salary, and if they think spending a bit more would improve their odds this year they likely would spend a bit more as the owner of the white sox is getting up there in years.

Are the Sox favorites to win the Central now?

I Never bought the Royals. They are a fluke IMO.
The Indians pitching is suspect after Kluber.
The Tigers are older and they.need Verlandee to bounce back. If they lose Scherzer that Division is wide open. But the White Soc are not done and neither are the other teams. So it is far too early to say

zulux21

I Never bought the Royals. They are a fluke IMO.
The Indians pitching is suspect after Kluber.
The Tigers are older and they.need Verlandee to bounce back. If they lose Scherzer that Division is wide open. But the White Soc are not done and neither are the other teams. So it is far too early to say

I disagree with the Royals, they have a ton of talent on that team and should easily have another season above .500 this season. That being said their window is tiny and if they get off to a bad start at all the team is likely put on a fire sale in july. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a couple of flashier moves before the season starts though with the extra funds for making it to the world series... since worst case they would just have a few more pieces to sell at the trade deadline.

The Indians are a mixed bag, I always feel like they should be doing better, but they never seem to be doing better.

Tigers are getting older, but not so old that they are in trouble yet. And even without Scherzer they still have decent starting, but their bullpen isn't great.

and I see you didn't even mention the twins... which makes sense because they aren't playing in the metrodome next year so they will likely not be relevant just like every year since they left the metrodome.

Braves trying to package Chris Johnson with Upton in trade talks. Also tried getting Yordano Ventura for Gattis a few weeks ago lol.

Them packaging Johnson with Upton has the Giants written all over it. I just don't see what the Giants could give up though. They don't have enough good to great prospects to pull that off. Even Krick, Susac, Mejia, and Hembree probably wouldn't get that done.

Malo

Banned
Them packaging Johnson with Upton has the Giants written all over it. I just don't see what the Giants could give up though. They don't have enough good to great prospects to pull that off. Even Krick, Susac, Mejia, and Hembree probably wouldn't get that done.
You're not getting back great prospects if you pacakage Chris Johnson with J.Upton.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
and I see you didn't even mention the twins... which makes sense because they aren't playing in the metrodome next year so they will likely not be relevant just like every year since they left the metrodome.
Remember 2010, when they won 94 games?

They're going to fucking suck next year, and that combined with Torii Hunter being on the team means I'm not gonna bother with them this year. Go Dodgers!

So it's finally official.

Sox get:
Samardzija
Ynoa

A's get:
Semien(nice skill set, does everything well but has some swing and miss in his game and platoon splits)
Ravelo (good natural hitter with projectable power and a great eye without a position)
Phegley (Eh, can't catch but has some pop)
Bassitt(nice arm, lacks a 3rd pitch)

And Michael Ynoa is such a typical White Sox trade throw in. Great tangibles with control issues.

What is the difference between Lester and Scherzer in terms of who should have more value? It's intersting how at the beginning of the offseason it seemed like Max was 1 and Lester was 2 but now you have a ton of teams in on Jon and talk of huge contracts...if Lester does get $175 million does Max get significantly more?

jbug617

Banned
Braves close to signing Alberto Callaspo.

What is the difference between Lester and Scherzer in terms of who should have more value? It's intersting how at the beginning of the offseason it seemed like Max was 1 and Lester was 2 but now you have a ton of teams in on Jon and talk of huge contracts...if Lester does get $175 million does Max get significantly more?

I think the difference is that there is no compensation on Lester. Also he was deemed to be the cheaper option. You ended up having 4 big market teams bidding on him so the price went up like crazy.

zychi

Banned

Lester has a ring as the ace of a club. Max doesn't.
Age isnt a factor, but amount of innings might be.

according to SI, Madison Bumgarner once dated a woman named Madison Bumgarner. haha

Syrinx

Lester doesn't cost a first round pick since he was traded midseason.

Man I love the hot stove season, I might get fired though. My productivity has dropped to George Costanza levels.

I like the Montero pick up for the Cubs if it indeed gets done. Good change of scenery kind of guy with good skills behind the plate. Prospect cost shouldn't be much.

jbug617

Banned
Giants assistant GM thinks Red Sox and Cubs are in the lead for Lester

@JimBowden_ESPN: Evans told us that Lester told them he is not going to the highest bidder #Giants @mlbnetworkradio

@JimBowden_ESPN: AGM Bobby Evans #Giants leads us to believe that Lester has both Red Sox and Cubs ahead of them & Dodgers @MLBNetworkRadio

aFIGurANT

^^^ Besides the eyebrows I don't see it in Ynoa.

And the only brother I want pitching for my Redbirds is a 1967 Bob Gibson...badumtish.

jbug617

Banned
Kemp to Padres seems like only destination.

@JonHeymanCBS: hear orioles, rangers and mariners, 3 early kemp players, are all out on him. seems like might be padres or bust.

Gordon Edes is reporting saying the Phillies really not trying to trade Hamels at the meetings

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/542424314436255744

Mejia has big upside but hasn't pitched above Rookie ball... Godley was in High A last year and at best is a middle reliever.

Yeah Mejia was a top international prospects and was our #20 prospect in the system.

At least it wasn't Sands or Tseng in the deal.

This was copied from MLBTR and gives me hope we could have a really good platoon.

Castillo's splits last year
RHP: .216/.279/.352 in 287 AB with 8 HR
LHP: .301/.350/,505 in 93 AB with 5 HR
Overall: .237/.296/389 with 13 HR

Montero's splits last year
RHP: .256/.348/.386 in 383 AB with 11 HR
LHP: .198/.252/.311 in 106 AB with 2 HR
Overall: .242/.329/.370 with 13 HR

Also Montero is really good with framing.

Top Bottom