• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

thefro

Eh, people said this about Prior as well. The thing with deliveries and the infamous inverted-W stuff is: Nobody knows anything and throws shit against the wall.
Giving long term deals to pitchers is always risky.

Nothing's a sure thing, but it's not close to the same situation as Prior (who broke down pretty quickly after a couple years).

Lester's been pretty durable, and typically those pitchers are less likely to have their arm fall off as opposed to the average.

see5harp

Why would you pick the shorter contract to play for the shitty ass cubs instead of play in a pitcher's park with a proven winner and decent weather?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
O8HUWihl.jpg

Best we can hope for is trading away Leake. I mean Latos could fetch more but I'd rather he stick around. Only really need help in LF. Bruce had an awful year but maybe he turns it around. Votto is now just a serviceable 1B. He'll never be the MVP that he once was again.

Just don't touch Chappy, Walt. Don't you fucking do it.

see5harp

The salt rises. Stros sign Neshek. Guess they are making moves for that SI 2017 predicted WS win lol.

No but really. Wrigley is a shit hole. Cubs are obviously a rising franchise set to be great in a few years when they can go after even more studs but if the deal was essentially the same or similar, personally I'd rather live on the west coast.

O8HUWihl.jpg

Best we can hope for is trading away Leake. I mean Latos could fetch more but I'd rather he stick around. Only really need help in LF. Bruce had an awful year but maybe he turns it around. Votto is now just a serviceable 1B. He'll never be the MVP that he once was again.

Just don't touch Chappy, Walt. Don't you fucking do it.

The problem with Latos is that he has lost velocity and you'd be selling low.
Trading Leake makes more sense, as I think you'd get someone to overpay for a ~2 WAR pitcher.

No but really. Wrigley is a shit hole. Cubs are obviously a rising franchise set to be great in a few years when they can go after even more studs but if the deal was essentially the same or similar, personally I'd rather live on the west coast.
They also said the CA taxes were a factor. Much lower in IL. Also his relationship with Theo and Hoyer.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The problem with Latos is that he has lost velocity and you'd be selling low.
Trading Leake makes more sense, as I think you'd get someone to overpay for a ~2 WAR pitcher.

Well, Latos was nagged with injury basically all last year.

Only an NL team would likely overpay for Leake since he's also above average with the bat for the position.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Love the Gregerson and Neshek signings.

Luhnow did what he needed to do and improved the bullpen.

Now he needs to upgrade on the SS/3B corner of the infield.

Lester gets a full NTC, $30 million bonus ($20 up front, $10 throughout deal), and his 7th year vesting option is exercised if he pitches 200 innings in year 6 or a combined 400 in years 5 and 6.

billeh

Not like they're totally remodeling Wrigley from the inside out over this offseason or anything.

"In a few years" is probably understating them a bit at this point. There are still some question marks mostly with how their prospects will develop, but next year could very well be promising if the stars align correctly.

Syrinx

I went to Wrigley once and liked it.

Though I also went to Fenway once and liked it. Then I went a few more times and now I never want to go back.

Syrinx

Now that Lester's finally made up his fucking mind, time for this Winter Meetings train to get rolling again.

GET A SHORTSTOP, SANDY!

BFIB

I'm still trying to figure out where Lunhow's mind is at. Corner the relivers market to try and get big chips at the trade deadline?

Spending $30 mil on two relievers isn't the smartest way to rebuild.

zychi

Banned
They're working on Wrigley right now, the bleachers are gone, and they're putting clubhouse stuff underneath them, Google it. It will be way better once the construction finishes. They're doing what they can in the middle of a neighborhood.

jakncoke

Banned
Not like they're totally remodeling Wrigley from the inside out over this offseason or anything.

"In a few years" is probably understating them a bit at this point. There are still some question marks mostly with how their prospects will develop, but next year could very well be promising if the stars align correctly.

Just ask resident cubs fan chicagocubsfan, there is no way any of them fail and they'll all be slugging out 35 homers a year!

Also no wonder Neshek signed with Houston even tho he was visiting Pittsburgh

zychi

Banned

Just want to get to the playoffs. Royals, Giants, Red Sox have all proven, that you just need that chance.

Just ask resident cubs fan chicagocubsfan, there is no way any of them fail and they'll all be slugging out 35 homers a year!

Baez needs to work on his swing. But even if they don't work out we have a nice core. As long as Rizzo doesn't regress and Castro stays out of the DR in the offseason we'll be alright.

Ruben has done well on his trades for the most part. I am not worried about him fucking this up at all.

He has done well when he was a buyer. That Clff Lee deal was highway robbery. But one could argue that he fucked things up by sitting on his thumbs for the last couple of years instead of starting a full blown rebuild.

zychi

Banned
There have been way better Cubes teams that haven't won the World Series. Not sure why this Cubes team is different
Its not, but this time theres a farm system in place, competent management, competent manager, and a tonnn of talent. Its not the 07 team that was bought and blown up after having one of the highest payrolls. Besides Lester, the payroll is pretty low still

see5harp

Yea, I know they are doing the best they can with the limited space in that area. It's just not that great of a baseball field. I've been there. My brother lived in Lincoln Park and I was always hitting up clark and belmont and that whole area. It's just not as nice as AT&T. It's over and done now though. Hopefully Giants can get someone. I'd be alright with them just holding out for a year since they are losing in 2015 anyways and going after a big guy next year.

billeh

As long as they help wash away my memories of Corey Patterson and Felix Pie, and the decades long list of Cub prospect flubs.

Hopefully Giants can get someone. I'd be alright with them just holding out for a year since they are losing in 2015 anyways and going after a big guy next year.

I'm all for this. Next year the pool for starters is looking deep with a lot of big names they could take a run at. http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/mlb/2016/ufa/starting-pitcher/

I think a spending spree is going to be a necessity next year. Get a couple of starters and a couple of relievers then sit back and watch another WS roll in.

From Forbes, do ppl still think baseball is dying? Jajaja

Maury Brown Maury Brown, Contributor

Major League Baseball Sees Record $9 Billion In Revenues For 2014

With 2014 soon coming to a close, Bud Selig and Major League Baseball can look back and say, “It was a very good year.” The league will see approx. $9 billion in gross revenues for the 2014 calendar year, a new record. Adjustments are still be calculated that could push the league slightly over the threshold with the value being described as “right there” in relation to $9 billion. That figure is up from $8 billion just last year, a staggering increase of 13 percent.

The reason for the increase? The league saw revenues double for new broadcast deals with their national network partners FOX, ESPN, and TBS that added an additional $788.3 million a year to the league’s coffers. Add that to additional local media rights deals such as the Los Angeles Dodgers (between $7 billion and $8 billion annually that sees over 30 percent distributed as revenue sharing), and multi-billion dollar deals for the Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Padres, Phillies, and soon-to-be Astros (the club is mired in restructuring their CSN Houston deal), and you get a significant bump. Throw in that MLB Advanced Media, who not only pulls in hundreds of millions streaming MLB games, but supplies backend streaming services to the likes of ESPN, WWE, CBS March Madness, and just announced today, will provide the backend infrastructure for HBO’s planned streaming service. As noted in our “The Biggest Media Company You’ve Never Heard Of,” MLB Advanced Media, alone, could see revenues of over $1 billion annually.

In 1995, MLB revenues were $1.4 billion, or over $2.14 billion when accounting for inflation. Since that time, gross revenues for the league have grown a whopping 321 percent in 19 years.

zychi

Banned
So a meatball called chicago sports radio today, "Peavy wants to follow Lester where ever he goes."

DO NOT DO IT THEO

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE PEAVY

START EDWIN JACKSON OVER THAT BUM

BFIB

So a meatball called chicago sports radio today, "Peavy wants to follow Lester where ever he goes."

DO NOT DO IT THEO

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE PEAVY

START EDWIN JACKSON OVER THAT BUM

Want a former Red Sox? Gotta take the good with the bad!

jbug617

Banned
Dodgers talking to Phillies about Rollins.

Red Sox close to a deal for Wade Miley.

@Sean_McAdam: Another team which had interest in Wade Miley has dropped out of negotiations with Arizona, convinced D'backs are close to deal w/ Red Sox.

Syrinx

From Forbes, do ppl still think baseball is dying? Jajaja

Maury Brown Maury Brown, Contributor

Major League Baseball Sees Record $9 Billion In Revenues For 2014

With 2014 soon coming to a close, Bud Selig and Major League Baseball can look back and say, “It was a very good year.” The league will see approx. $9 billion in gross revenues for the 2014 calendar year, a new record. Adjustments are still be calculated that could push the league slightly over the threshold with the value being described as “right there” in relation to $9 billion. That figure is up from $8 billion just last year, a staggering increase of 13 percent.

The reason for the increase? The league saw revenues double for new broadcast deals with their national network partners FOX, ESPN, and TBS that added an additional $788.3 million a year to the league’s coffers. Add that to additional local media rights deals such as the Los Angeles Dodgers (between $7 billion and $8 billion annually that sees over 30 percent distributed as revenue sharing), and multi-billion dollar deals for the Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Padres, Phillies, and soon-to-be Astros (the club is mired in restructuring their CSN Houston deal), and you get a significant bump. Throw in that MLB Advanced Media, who not only pulls in hundreds of millions streaming MLB games, but supplies backend streaming services to the likes of ESPN, WWE, CBS March Madness, and just announced today, will provide the backend infrastructure for HBO’s planned streaming service. As noted in our “The Biggest Media Company You’ve Never Heard Of,” MLB Advanced Media, alone, could see revenues of over $1 billion annually.

In 1995, MLB revenues were $1.4 billion, or over $2.14 billion when accounting for inflation. Since that time, gross revenues for the league have grown a whopping 321 percent in 19 years.

MLB has been making money hand-over-fist for a while now. People saying it's dying/dead have always been completely off-base. That said, I would like baseball to gain more national popularity and see some of these young stars be as recognizable by the public as a lot of NBA and NFL stars. Actually decent nationally televised broadcasts (aka not the hacks Fox and ESPN use) would help a lot.

stn

We sign Sandoval for $100M at a position Hanley could fill, then we fall $20M short on Lester. I can't wait for us to trade Betts and Bogaerts now for pitching, in a year where we have money and won't lose our highest draft pick.

This all makes no sense.

Top Bottom