• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Not statistically last season.
219.2 IP, 23% K%, 4.9% BB%, 1.07 WHIP
219.2 IP, 24.9% K%, 5.4% BB%, 1.10 WHIP

They were virtually identical last year by those statistics. Yet Lester achieved those numbers entirely in the DH league while Samardzija split his time between both leagues. So if you look at park/league adjusted rate stats, Lester comes out ahead.

Overlee

So does this mean the one-eared Cuban dude is the new Dodger second baseman? Can Turner be a full-tiem 2B?

Yup, Guerrero's contract stated he had to be on the MLB roster by his second season. His glove is still a huge question but his bat is for real so they will give him every chance to be the starter. (Dee beat him out for the starting gig in spring training last year).

Turner is no more than a super utility guy, gonna have spot starts at 2B/3B every few days.

The Rollins and Heaney trades are what I expected from this new front office. Trading away some low level prospects for a short term SS that won't block Seager and selling high on a 2B for a legit young arm that will slide into and solidify the back end of the rotation.

That Kemp to San Diego rumor didn't make any sense and was only coming out of their front office. They listened of course hoping to get an offer they couldn't refuse but SD doesn't (won't?) have anything to offer. (yet????)

zychi

Banned
219.2 IP, 23% K%, 4.9% BB%, 1.07 WHIP
219.2 IP, 24.9% K%, 5.4% BB%, 1.10 WHIP

They were virtually identical last year by those statistics. Yet Lester achieved those numbers entirely in the DH league while Samardzija split his time between both leagues. So if you look at park/league adjusted rate stats, Lester comes out ahead.
I think Smardj had a better season slightly because he pitched at hitter friendly Wrigley and his division had two playoff teams.

Lester was in the pitcher friendly Fenway, and only the Orioles made the playoffs in their division

My point is they just signed the same pitcher, but a lefty. His playoff and WS experience doesn't mean shit until they get there.

The team is nearly identical to last years, with a few bench players gone. And all of a sudden they are contenders? Not on the hype train yet, need at least another year and for the AAA guys to produce before I fall for the every decade Cub cycle.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

zychi

Banned
Last year, Wrigley was more pitcher friendly than average while Fenway was more hitter friendly than average. Kind of a weird year for park factors since Busch was also hitter friendly compared to other years.

I agree that the hype is overblown for the Cubs at the moment. But the bulk of that hype is coming from the impending arrival of the position prospects, not the Lester signing IMO. The signing just plugged one of the bigger holes on the roster.

That is odd. Usually when it warms up, Wrigley is a hitter friendly park. That stat for Wrigley also benefits because of the season Smardj, Arrieta and Hammel had.

JCizzle

Reading the Nats are talking some big moves. Would be very interesting to see what they come up with, they have such a stockpile of good talent.

So the Marlins got Dee Gordon and $10M in cash if Haren doesn't pitch for them?
Like the trade for Miami then, I think Heaney is a high floor-low ceiling pitcher.

jbug617

Banned
Webster and De La Rosa haven't looked great in their brief ML stints, but Wade Miley in the AL is a bad idea IMO.

He probably would be our 4th or 5th starter. Still holding out hope on trading for Porcello/Leake/Latos and signing Shields.

I would take

Shields
Porcello/Leake/Latos
Buchholz
Kelly
Miley

oWFrvNO.jpg

Good night, sweet prince.
Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro

I've heard INF Miguel Rojas is also headed to #Marlins from #Dodgers and Miami will receive financial compensation if Haren retires
So Arruebarrena is the only SS backup we have now for this year.

Top Bottom