• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
>Manfred

Aw4nsCh.jpg

zroid

Banned
I don't understand this Duquette nonsense. O's wanted prospects in exchange for a front office member? Is that a thing?

eznark

Banned
Holy shit at removing shifts. Why would anyone want that?

I assume he threw it out there so that when less radical idea actually are imposed, like lowering the mound, not giving batters time-outs and installing a pitch clock people will have a worst case scenario to compare them to and say "ok fiiiiiine"

Chuck

Still without luck
I don't understand this Duquette nonsense. O's wanted prospects in exchange for a front office member? Is that a thing?

Welcome to Baltimore, where the only baseball talks happening are regarding mediocre arbitrators and 50 year old businessmen!

eznark

Banned
Instant replay is comical for the same reason the shifts would be comical. It'll push the umpire's brain settings to the limit, and they'll just go with the rules as they interpret.

The only problem with instant replay is the way they let managers game it. Just put it in the booth and it's fine. It't nothing like what you are describing.

Sanjuro

The only problem with instant replay is the way they let managers game it. Just put it in the booth and it's fine. It't nothing like what you are describing.

Healthy portion of the outcomes I've seen have been exactly how I described. I agree turning it into a football sideshow has only made it worse and increased the duration of the game.

Manfred was on michael kay show. said shifts aren't going away just yet. Wants to see if hitters can adjust against the shifts. If not change is coming. Also, seems like pitch clock is going to eventually be in. Praised it big time helping to fix the pace of game. And some changes to replay coming also. Doesn't want the manager to stand out there waiting for a signal.

Allegedly the Os started off by asking for Bautista, so in their minds, I guess, a prospect would practically mean they were just letting Duquette walk away.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They need to adjust the strike zone back to what it used to be. Fuck his insanity.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-strike-zone-expansion-is-out-of-control/

Most of the expansion is the low strikes, probably due to a lot more sinking pitches getting thrown and called strikes. I'm also guessing that umpires have been reacting to PF/X data over time as it became more prevalent. If an umpire notices that he's missing a bunch of knee-high strikes based on the data, he may be consciously trying to call more low strikes over time.

vexHJRG.png

0Pmq1yB.png

Sanjuro

I doubt banning shifts would do much for increasing offensive output. The problem is the record breaking strikeout numbers.

I'm mostly kidding about the shifts. I mean, I wouldn't hate it. I just don't care.

I want more wiener races installed into every stadium.

aFIGurANT

I'm sure I could google to figure this out but wouldn't a majority of owners have to vote to allow a ban or any sort of new rule? Like this isn't going to be a Hitler regime where shit just spirals out of control. At least that's what I'd like imagine would have to happen. I do wonder how the vote would go down of shifts specifically though.

You know how to stop defensive shifts? Start bunting to where no one is covering.

The Braves have signed John Buck to a minor league deal.

Enron

Banned
Sweet. Hope they keep him blocked until the Rangers' penalty period is up.

Braves should take a stab at him as well. Get special permission from the Grinch that holds the Bravo's pursestrings!

aFIGurANT

I just saw that Lindor is going to open spring training in the Cleveland big camp which makes me wonder... Who is GAF looking for to be this year's big name callup? I'm thinking of someone who breaks in like Puig or to an extent Polanco.

I'd like to think Buxton would make it since he's like the next 5-tooler but apparently that's not too likely with how little he played last year. Kris Bryant is the obvious pick but try to think of who will be coming down the pipe for your own organization. For me it would have to be Piscotty since right now he's Holliday's heir apparent.

I just saw that Lindor is going to open spring training in the Cleveland big camp which makes me wonder... Who is GAF looking for to be this year's big name callup? I'm thinking of someone who breaks in like Puig or to an extent Polanco.

I'd like to think Buxton would make it since he's like the next 5-tooler but apparently that's not too likely with how little he played last year. Kris Bryant is the obvious pick but try to think of who will be coming down the pipe for your own organization. For me it would have to be Piscotty since right now he's Holliday's heir apparent.

Noah Syndergaard bringing out the thor hammer and wrecking havoc against all bats in the league

aFIGurANT

Noah Syndergaard bringing out the thor hammer and wrecking havoc against all bats in the league
Yeah watching the mets try to climb out of their little hole is up there with watching the Pads and ChiSox try to do the same. I'm really interested in how Harvey does specifically.

If Castro/Baez/Alcantara struggle I could see Russell getting called up.
Possible Pierce Johnson as a rotation piece or CJ Edwards as a sparkplug in the pen in a possible playoff scenario.
Besides that everyone else is too far away/not needed right now.

For the Cardinals, I'm more excited about Tuivailala than Piscotty, even though he (technically) came up in September last season. Bullpen arms aren't ever really exciting, but I think he's got potential to be really good if he is able to improve his control. I like Piscotty, but his season in AAA last year was average (literally - his WRC+ was like 100 or 101).

aFIGurANT

If Castro/Baez/Alcantara struggle I could see Russell getting called up.
Possible Pierce Johnson as a rotation piece or CJ Edwards as a sparkplug in the pen in a possible playoff scenario.
Besides that everyone else is too far away/not needed right now.

I might have read this on here and if so disregard, but Baez is doing the same crazy-historic K% shit in South America this winter apparently. That will be a good storyline for sure as he may fall into the Uggla spectrum real quick. There's a lot of room there on either end of that since Uggla was still pretty beastly for a while before the last couple of seasons.

EDIT:
For the Cardinals, I'm more excited about Tuivailala than Piscotty, even though he (technically) came up in September last season. Bullpen arms aren't ever really exciting, but I think he's got potential to be really good if he is able to improve his control. I like Piscotty, but his season in AAA last year was average (literally - his WRC+ was like 100 or 101).
Yeah he had a really live arm, he kind of reminds me of Cmart with the stuff anyway. He'll have room to get acclimated with Walden and Rosie anchoring things too, which is a good thing.

On a second note it's kind of crazy how quickly the Cards have depleted their studly prospects over the past two years. It'll get back to where it was hopefully although Lunhow leaving probably won't help.

Top Bottom