• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

Keith Law's take on the Cubs

Take a moment to recover from your surprise ... The past 12 months have seemed more like a coronation for the Cubs than one for the teams that actually played in the World Series. The hype around their system is justified by the talent in it, with the strongest collection of top-shelf hitting prospects I can remember since I started working in baseball. They have someone coming at just about every position other than catcher and first base, and most of them fare well both in traditional evaluation and in analysis of their performance to date.

The Cubs' draft strategy under the Theo Epstein/Jed Hoyer regime has been to grab a polished hitter in the first round and load up on arms later. That, along with the trade of Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel that netted two more top hitting prospects, has produced a system that's full of hitting prospects but still a bit light on the pitching side. The first wave of bats reached the majors in the middle of 2014, with more coming this year, but there won't be enough at-bats for Javier Baez and Jorge Soler and Arismendy Alcantara and Addison Russell and Kyle Schwarber and Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo … and that's not even everyone who might end up pushing for playing time. The Cubs are in prime position to flip a young hitter for a pitcher or even to swing a bigger deal, especially if they want to try to set themselves up to win the NL Central in 2016. There are young starting pitching prospects here to like, led by 20-year-old Duane Underwood, but they're all a few years away.

I'm not as large of a traditionalist as everyone in here. The game needs changing or watch the N fucking HL and Soccer pass the sport up. Maybe this matters ... maybe not. I'm lucky my wife likes baseball so game lengths doesn't bother me. It might be an observation about society in general and our ever growing needs to have things happen fast/instant, but I'm not sure it matters what the cause it. General consensus is the games takes too long. Either make some tweeks or continue to watch the game become less and less popular. Which could continue to affect the local talent pool. More and more south Americans and Asian players. Not that this matters, but it kinda sucks watching Americans get worse and worse at our own pastime.

If none of you like pitch clocks or the like what's your idea. Or just leave it as is?

It's about pace, not length.

the game is fine. most diverse game, 70-80 million people thru the gates every year, big TV contracts, compelling storylines, all the game needs is to find more and more talented, athletic players and the rest will take care of itself.

I know, a .273 BA and .316 OBP in four years. : (

tumblr_mrjp55V7aC1rvn2ylo1_500.gif

zulux21

Keith Law's farm system rankings:

1. Cubs
2. Twins
3. Astros
4. Mets
5. Red Sox
6. Braves
7. Pirates
8. Rockies
9. Nationals
10. Dodgers
11. Rangers
12. White Sox
13. Cardinals
14. Diamondbacks
15. Royals
16. Indians
17. Reds
18. Padres
19. Blue Jays
20. Yankees
21. Mariners
22. Orioles
23. Rays
24. Marlins
25. Phillies
26. Athletics
27. Angels
28. Brewers
29. Giants
30. Tigers

it's nice to see the white sox in the upper half after so many years in the bottom... helps that kenny is no longer running things and trading the farm for washed up players to "help with the run to the playoffs" where they get nearly nothing out of that player...

I mean hell he traded for Carl Everett twice... in back to back years. he did alright the first year... but not well enough to get a contract from the WS.. then did worse the next year but they still traded for him. (to be fair none of the traded players panned out but a few of them were well regarded at the time)
trade for griffy a bit later cost them a few more players, again didn't amount to anything but they were well regarded at the time
for jim thome they traded their good center fielder and a guy named Gio González.
the best part is the white sox would get Gio González back the next year as the phillies returned the favor trading good young talent for an over the hill older player... which the white sox would then trade again along with some of their better young talent for nick swisher :/ (which at the time didn't look like a horrible deal, but then swish just sucked horribly)

the bad part though is that the white sox farm system is up at 12th mostly because of middle infielders and two decent pitchers.... they don't have a very balanced farm at all.

The Dodgers are projected by Baseball Prospectus to be the best team in 2015 and win the NL West by 13 games:
American League, ranked by projected (remainder of season) 2015 record
East W L

Boston Red Sox 86 76
Tampa Bay Rays 86 76
Toronto Blue Jays 82 80
New York Yankees 80 82
Baltimore Orioles 78 84
Central W L
Detroit Tigers 82 80
Cleveland Indians 81 81
Chicago White Sox 78 84
Kansas City Royals 72 90
Minnesota Twins 70 92
West W L
Los Angeles Angels 90 72
Seattle Mariners 87 75
Oakland Athletics 84 78
Texas Rangers 83 79
Houston Astros 77 85
National League, ranked by projected (remainder of season) 2015 record
East W L

Washington Nationals 91 71
New York Mets 82 80
Miami Marlins 81 81
Atlanta Braves 74 88
Philadelphia Phillies 69 93
Central W L
St. Louis Cardinals 89 73
Chicago Cubs 82 80
Pittsburgh Pirates 81 81
Cincinnati Reds 79 83
Milwaukee Brewers 79 83
West W L
Los Angeles Dodgers 97 65
San Francisco Giants 84 78
San Diego Padres 83 79
Arizona D-backs 74 88
Colorado Rockies 72 90
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/dc/

jbug617

Banned
Keith Law Top 100 is out.

For the Red Sox he got:

10- Blake Swihart
20- Henry Owens
29- Eduardo Rodriguez
55- Rafael Devers
70- Manuel Margot

Malo

Banned
was surprised to not see severino make klaws top 100 list.
He believes Severino is a reliever so it makes sense that he isn't on there, but I'm pretty sure Law's list well be the only one in which Severino doesn't crack the top 100. I expect him to be in the top 50 in other sites like BA, BP, and MlB, where he was already ranked as the 7th best RHP.

I'm also sure that Law's list is the only list in which Bird cracks the top 100.

Yankees got:

23. Aaron Judge
80. Greg Bird

Cubs on the Top 100 are Bryant at 1, Russell at 4, Soler at 14, and Schwarber at 90. Soler and Schwarber should be higher and shocked Edwards is not on it.

I don't know why Baseball is so obsessed with speeding up the game when Football takes forever to complete when you're watching on tv.

I'm with you in that the criticism of baseball being slow is funny when football has a ton of standing around and TV stoppages too. I bring this up to anyone who says baseball is slow.

I think this all comes down to a mentality or perspective though. A baseball game is open ended. There's no clock or guarantee that a game will end within a specific time frame. Adding a pitch clock doesn't really stop this as the game is about outs and not pitches, but I think it helps with this "we need something now" internet generation that's not paying attention to the sport anymore. It would speed up games too.

I would hate being a baseball fan on he east coast.

cashman

Banned
Rangers had 6 guys there

11. Gallo
31. Mazara
35. Alfaro
52. Jake Thompson
86. Chi Chi Gonzalez
96. Luis Ortiz

I think Mazara actually has the highest chance of becoming a star out of all of them.

jakncoke

Banned
Tyler Glasnow at No. 12, Austin Meadows at No. 32, Jameson Taillon at No. 36, Josh Bell at No. 60 and Alen Hanson at No. 89

Not bad. Will be interesting what are future plans are with Meadows if he keeps moving up the ladder. Already moved Bell out of OF to 1B, wonder where we could put/ship Meadows to

Friggz

He believes Severino is a reliever so it makes sense that he isn't on there, but I'm pretty sure Law's list well be the only one in which Severino doesn't crack the top 100. I expect him to be in the top 50 in other sites like BA, BP, and MlB, where he was already ranked as the 7th best RHP.

I'm also sure that Law's list is the only list in which Bird cracks the top 100.

Yankees got:

23. Aaron Judge
80. Greg Bird

oh yeah, i know the reasoning i was just surprised. becuase as you said every other media outlet will have him within the top 100. ALso sucks to see sanchez fall off. i hope he gets his act together this season.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Dodgers were heavily favored last season as well, and we all know how that turned out!

Maybe the Friedman Difference will mean you guys lose in the LCS instead of the divisional round.

I don't know, the Friedman Rays never really pulled it off.

zulux21

Wonder why they hate the ChiSox so much. Maybe expecting regression in Abreu and LaRoche?

the white sox are almost always projected to have a bad season. as someone posted earlier in this thread, there was a stretch that a number of seasons they were projected 10+ wins below what they did... one main theory was that the white sox in general tend to have a lot less long injuries than any other team thanks to one of the best medical staffs and Don Cooper keeping the pitchers in check. Thus because of the reduced injuries they do better than projected on a consistent basis.

it wouldn't be surprising to see some regression from some of the players, at the same time the bullpen in general should be much improved and likely would have made the white sox a .500 team last season so with the new signings it would be surprising if they weren't at least a .500 team this year. at the very least I will for sure be getting mlb.tv for opening day this year, last year it was a long debate and last year I did it just because I wanted to watch some baseball... this year I am doing it because I want to watch the white sox win :p a 10 year wait is long enough, time to win it again.

I wish they would do the same thing that Madden did with the Sunday Ticket edition.
Would be sick to have a MLB + MLB.TV package you can buy discounted.

I'm just hoping they do what they did like 2 years ago and if you preorder mlb the show you get a month of mlb.tv for free. It would be enough to buy the show day 1 with a GCU discount.... I am iffy as it is, but there is a good chance I get it since I don't have a baseball game on the ps4 yet and I wouldn't mind playing some games with you guys even though I will suck as all I play is road to the show with my created character.

zychi

Banned
I just hope it isn't a total pile of shit like last year
Besides the load times and the shit online(which is pretty much all sports games now besides madden and fifa) it was a good first game for next gen. I grabbed a preorder for it at $40 when target had the wrong price. Just fix the load times please

eznark

Banned
Besides the load times and the shit online(which is pretty much all sports games now besides madden and fifa) it was a good first game for next gen. I grabbed a preorder for it at $40 when target had the wrong price. Just fix the load times please

Load times have been awful since PS2, on every iteration.

Top Bottom