• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

I might have read this on here and if so disregard, but Baez is doing the same crazy-historic K% shit in South America this winter apparently. That will be a good storyline for sure as he may fall into the Uggla spectrum real quick. There's a lot of room there on either end of that since Uggla was still pretty beastly for a while before the last couple of seasons.

Yeah. He's been struggling mightily in winter ball.

Maddon went to go visit him this week and pretty much told him to start hitting some singles and smile. Seems like he's trying too hard to be a star atm.

I'm not as large of a traditionalist as everyone in here. The game needs changing or watch the N fucking HL and Soccer pass the sport up. Maybe this matters ... maybe not. I'm lucky my wife likes baseball so game lengths doesn't bother me. It might be an observation about society in general and our ever growing needs to have things happen fast/instant, but I'm not sure it matters what the cause it. General consensus is the games takes too long. Either make some tweeks or continue to watch the game become less and less popular. Which could continue to affect the local talent pool. More and more south Americans and Asian players. Not that this matters, but it kinda sucks watching Americans get worse and worse at our own pastime.

If none of you like pitch clocks or the like what's your idea. Or just leave it as is?

aFIGurANT

If none of you like pitch clocks or the like what's your idea. Or just leave it as is?
I'd leave it as is and start enforcing the rules as they are. Right now there is a "pitch clock" in the game per the rules, but none of the umps have ever cared to enforce it. So if we have to start somewhere, let's start there. Personally I don't think the game needs a change because the game as it stands has its own character. Plus the money is fine and the talent pool seems fine too since it's not like I need only White/African-Americans playing.

On the other hand I have recently gotten a friend into the game but whenever we watch he always thinks it's OK to flip channels when he gets bored. I hate that because I feel like lightning can kind of strike any time with this sport. But yet I do sort of get why it's hard to stick to with him given his growing up on basketball and football. A pitch clock may not even fix this issue though because batters still have the choice to take up to 6 pitches anyway.

The short version is we need to decide how much we are willing to cater to fans who generally don't give a shit right now anyway. I doubt you'd lose everyone with a pitch clock but you might only be breaking even when it comes to net gain....

I'd leave it as is and start enforcing the rules as they are. Right now there is a "pitch clock" in the game per the rules, but none of the umps have ever cared to enforce it.

This is why I'm OK with a pitch clock. The rule already exists but it's not enforced. A pitch clock is a visual way to make sure the ump is working the game as he should.

Banning defensive shifts is the stupidest idea. I want to see more of this!
Shift_kp6bm7ab.gif

This article has some more good suggestions:
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2015/1/...s-rob-manfred-offense-baseball-philcokesbrain
The comments are glorious.

Malo

Banned
Now Jeff Passan is saying Moancada is close to being a free agent and could be cleared to sign in a week or two.

Bisonyes.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what's the info on pitch clock. What's the time limit?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...on-on-pace-of-game-changes-pitch-clock-011415

A 20-second pitch clock will be implemented at Double-A and Triple-A, but not in the majors in 2015, sources said.

A memo from Braves president John Schuerholz to minor-league clubs on Thursday confirmed the plan for Double-A and Triple-A. According to that memo, it includes putting a time limit on inning breaks, pitching changes and individual pitches. Exact limits are not finalized, but they will be based on regulations used in the Arizona Fall League. In that league, pitch-clock violations resulted in an automatic ball or strike being called on the offending team.

There will be three timers in each park – two offset behind home plate but between the dugouts and one in the outfield beyond the fence or near the scoreboard.
Each club will be responsible for hiring and paying a timer operator, and all necessary equipment will be purchased by MLB Advanced Media.

How it was used in AFL:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-...to-new--pace-of-game--measures-110749754.html

In select games, we've even seen the first usage of a 20-second pitch clock, which is obviously designed to limit or eliminate any lollygagging and unnecessary posturing that routinely takes place between pitches.

... a pitch does not have to be released before the pitch clock expires. A pitcher coming set at the waist is good enough. From there though, the pitcher must either throw a pitch or make a pick-off attempt. Stepping off the mound after the clock hits zero is considered a violation.

There were three violations in the first game which featured the clock, which will be used in 17 games total at Salt River Field during league play. Mark Appel, the Houston Astros No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft, committed two of those violations.

The penalty for a clock violation is an automatic ball added to the batter's count.

Batters are also required to keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout the 20-second countdown, unless one of a series of exceptions occurs. The exceptions include, among other things, a foul ball or a foul tip; time being granted to the hitter or catcher, and a pitch that drives the batter of the box. If the batter steps out, the pitcher will be allowed to continue and throw his pitch.

It's weird, but there's little doubt it's had an impact.

A bit more context: @MLBazFallLeague game times with pitch clock: Game 1: 2:14 Game 2: 2:28 Game 3: 3:12 (11 innings) 2013 avg: 2:51
— MLB Pipeline (@MLBPipeline) October 18, 2014

aFIGurANT

I don't know why Baseball is so obsessed with speeding up the game when Football takes forever to complete when you're watching on tv.

Pace of play =/= length of play, to be fair.

But philosophically I'm 100% with you - go to a televised NCAAF game and you're literally sitting on your ass watching cheerleaders more than you are the actual game. I went to a BYU game this past fall and I was there for almost four hours. Do the math and that's like a 1:4 ratio of action to downtime.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pace of play =/= length of play, to be fair.

But philosophically I'm 100% with you - go to a televised NCAAF game and you're literally sitting on your ass watching cheerleaders more than you are the actual game. I went to a BYU game this past fall and I was there for almost four hours. Do the math and that's like a 1:4 ratio of action to downtime.

Bu-bu-but football games bring in the national audience!

thefro

I don't know why Baseball is so obsessed with speeding up the game when Football takes forever to complete when you're watching on tv.

Football's an event since your team plays only once a week.

The season's also shorter than baseball's season.

I'd also say that the non-commercial downtime in football is more interesting than baseball. Between plays you're thinking about the situation, what play they're going to run, which substitutes are running in and out, etc.

You get that a little bit in baseball but not nearly as much, and then there's the total downtime like a pitching change where the player takes forever to warm up on the mound even though they already warmed up in the bullpen. People stepping out of the box/off the mound is downtime that isn't allowed in other sports generally.

BFIB

I like how baseball games have continued to rise in costs to even attend a game, and we're rewarded with shorter games.

Pace of game is fucked up. I don't mind length if things are moving along. RA Dickey and Buerhle are a joy to watch because of how fast they work. Then you have Josh Beckett pausing thinking about what type of chicken he's gonna eat that night.

BFIB

The hitter wants to mess with the pitchers flow, and the pitcher wants to mess up the hitters timing.

I'm not saying "its OK to step out of the batters box, spit in your hands, rub your hands, fix your gloves, practice swing, then step back in". That stuff is ridiculous. One foot in the batters box at all times, you get time when you are given it by the ump. That alone will speed up the game.

But a clock sitting there? Come on, this is baseball, no clock should be anywhere that affects the speed of the game.

eznark

Banned
The hitter wants to mess with the pitchers flow, and the pitcher wants to mess up the hitters timing.

I'm not saying "its OK to step out of the batters box, spit in your hands, rub your hands, fix your gloves, practice swing, then step back in". That stuff is ridiculous. One foot in the batters box at all times, you get time when you are given it by the ump. That alone will speed up the game.

But a clock sitting there? Come on, this is baseball, no clock should be anywhere that affects the speed of the game.

Disagree. I'd definitely have a clock on pitching changes.

Malo

Banned
Keith Law ranks the Yankees' farm system at 20 and Kiley McDaniel has them at 10. That's a pretty big gap.

They really need to sign Moancada.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Keith Law ranks the Yankees' farm system at 20 and Kiley McDaniel has them at 10. That's a pretty big gap.

They really need to sign Moancada.

Law seems to place his highest value on upside potential, whereas Kiley seems more inclusive of considerations around depth.

Keith Law's farm system rankings:

1. Cubs
2. Twins
3. Astros
4. Mets
5. Red Sox
6. Braves
7. Pirates
8. Rockies
9. Nationals
10. Dodgers
11. Rangers
12. White Sox
13. Cardinals
14. Diamondbacks
15. Royals
16. Indians
17. Reds
18. Padres
19. Blue Jays
20. Yankees
21. Mariners
22. Orioles
23. Rays
24. Marlins
25. Phillies
26. Athletics
27. Angels
28. Brewers
29. Giants
30. Tigers

1. Cubs
2. Twins
3. Astros
4. Mets
5. Red Sox
6. Braves
7. Pirates
8. Rockies
9. Nationals
10. Dodgers
11. Rangers
12. White Sox
13. Cardinals
14. Diamondbacks
15. Royals
16. Indians
17. Reds
18. Padres
19. Blue Jays
20. Yankees
21. Mariners
22. Orioles
23. Rays
24. Marlins
25. Phillies
26. Athletics
27. Angels
28. Brewers
29. Giants
30. Tigers

Holy crap Mets at four. Sandy has done a great job fixing the farm now time to finish upgrading the big club.

I'm not a fan of the pitch clock.

The batter-in-the-box rule is long past due.

The only time the game drags for me (live or on TV) is when there's a pitching change and you have to wait another 5 minutes while the pitcher re-warms up on the mound.

aFIGurANT

So who here has the BP annual already? Mine's gonna be here tomorrow even though Amazon had a Feb. date listed for shipping so I'm pretty excited about that regardless of whether it was an error or not. It will be my first edition so what should I expect as well? I imagine the PECOTA stuff is pretty prominent which isn't my favorite but I'll roll with it.

Syrinx

Holy crap Mets at four. Sandy has done a great job fixing the farm now time to finish upgrading the big club.

He has done a fantastic job at this. But the lack of improvements at the big club frustrate me immensely, though I know the Wilpons hold a pretty hefty share of the responsibility for that.

Seriously, what good reason is there not to go after Moncada?

If you guys want to watch a good baseball documentary watch Road to the Big Leagues. It's on Amazon Prime. It's a few years old. Basically about players from the DR trying out and stuff. Watched it in class and it was really good. Papi and Vlad are in it.

Malvingt2

1. Cubs
2. Twins
3. Astros
4. Mets
5. Red Sox
6. Braves
7. Pirates
8. Rockies
9. Nationals
10. Dodgers
11. Rangers
12. White Sox
13. Cardinals
14. Diamondbacks
15. Royals
16. Indians
17. Reds
18. Padres
19. Blue Jays
20. Yankees
21. Mariners
22. Orioles
23. Rays
24. Marlins
25. Phillies
26. Athletics
27. Angels
28. Brewers
29. Giants
30. Tigers

all those trades made the Braves one better?

Top Bottom