• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

eznark

Banned
On OS forums, Russell is stating that "load times will be vastly improved on every level". I'm not hopeful, but we'll see.

Is he also stating online will totally work this year! Just like he does every year.

Guy has zero credibility.

Cubs top 10 Specs according to Keith Law

Top 10 prospects

1. Kris Bryant, 3B
2. Addison Russell, SS
3. Jorge Soler, RF
4. Kyle Schwarber, C
5. Gleyber Torres, SS
6. Billy McKinney, OF
7. Albert Almora, CF
8. Duane Underwood, RHP
9. C.J. Edwards, RHP
10. Jen-Ho Tseng, RHP

G-Fex

I finished my baseball fan's companion book, I think I know all I need to for the upcoming season to watch and understand.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I finished my baseball fan's companion book, I think I know all I need to for the upcoming season to watch and understand.

Let's give you a quick test to prepare you for MLB-GAF!

After getting a hot dog or polish dog from Costco, what do you put on it?

xSxptFM.png

G-Fex

Are you a... Brewers fan? I can't remember if you picked a team before.

I got no team right now, I"ll probably wait to the season ends to pick one or whatever.

Let's give you a quick test to prepare you for MLB-GAF!

After getting a hot dog or polish dog from Costco, what do you put on it?

xSxptFM.png

Might go with Deli Mustard. Not a fan of onions or relish.

What's the ketchup there for? They sell french fries too?

G-Fex

My library doesn't have it so I guess I'll just read the Wikipedia entry on baseball. Also, what's the best way for a dirty poor like me to follow the season, radio?

that's my plan, going to get that MLB radio thing terrisus talked about for the season. 20 bucks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
20 bucks?! I'm talking about free broadcast radio. I can pull in Giants and A's games.

G-Fex wants access to a bunch of games I believe. He has yet to choose a team.

I wonder if the quality of eacg team's particular broadcasters calling the games would affect his choice.

aFIGurANT

I haven't needed it since I still have cable, but does Hola or something similar prevent the MLB.tv blackouts?

Yes. I didn't use Hola specifically but a similar IP (or is it DNS - fuck if I can remember) manipulator will let you get in-market games. MLB.TV is actually cheaper than the cable package although you do have to accept the fact you won't get pre/postgame coverage or commercials, the latter of which actually starts to gnaw at you if you aren't on twitter or GAF for the distraction factor.

I'm hoping the blackout restrictions for mlb.tv are revisited in the near future. It hasn't been a problem for me specifically since I don't live in a market for the Cardinals, but I think the idea of teams "claiming" whole geographic areas which may not even have access to the cable network in the first place is ridiculous.

I think they're also leaving a lot of money on the table as a result, but maybe the cost/benefit of forcing cable onto people is worth it

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'm hoping the blackout restrictions for mlb.tv are revisited in the near future. It hasn't been a problem for me specifically since I don't live in a market for the Cardinals, but I think the idea of teams "claiming" whole geographic areas which may not even have access to the cable network in the first place is ridiculous.

I think they're also leaving a lot of money on the table as a result, but maybe the cost/benefit of forcing cable onto people is worth it

Considering how much bank teams are making off of RSNs, I wouldn't count on it.

aFIGurANT

For the Bravos: Shelby Miller apparently started utilizing a sinker in September of last season and credits that (and Masterson teaching it to him) to the really strong finish he had. Here's the quote from Fox Sports:

In the seven starts after Miller's epiphany, he baffled hitters. He went 2-0 after unleashing the sinker, posted a 2.08 ERA and struck out 32 batters while only walking nine. Hitters were only able to muster a .190 batting average against him in those seven starts, compared to hitting .250 before the sinker was introduced.

He's also going to try to learn the changeup during ST to further develop his arsenal. He and Tyrell Jenkins will be interesting to follow I think, especially since Jenkins is evidently a top 5 prospect in the ATL system which surprised me a bit tbh.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
especially since Jenkins is evidently a top 5 prospect in the ATL system which surprised me a bit tbh.
That really depends who's making the list. I haven't generally seen him that high. Folty, Sims, Peraza, Ruiz, Bethancourt, Fried, and Albies can all easily be placed ahead of him. Kiley had him 10th for example.

BFIB

For the Bravos: Shelby Miller apparently started utilizing a sinker in September of last season and credits that (and Masterson teaching it to him) to the really strong finish he had. Here's the quote from Fox Sports:

He's also going to try to learn the changeup during ST to further develop his arsenal. He and Tyrell Jenkins will be interesting to follow I think, especially since Jenkins is evidently a top 5 prospect in the ATL system which surprised me a bit tbh.
I hope he does well in Atlanta. Reminds me of Andy Benes when he did the same by learning the sinker.

aFIGurANT

That really depends who's making the list. I haven't generally seen him that high. Folty, Sims, Peraza, Ruiz, Bethancourt, Fried, and Albies can all easily be placed ahead of him. Kiley had him 10th for example.
Yeah I think my source was quoting himself or something because it appears he's pretty far down the list from a quick perusal of talkingchop.

Can you get the free game of the day on the free version of the mlb app?

Yes.

Lets get this bullshit Spring Training underway!
Caribbean World Series starts tomorrow for anyone itching to watch some baseball. should be a fun one since Cuba is bringing in top talent after last years embarrassment. last year they didnt allow their winning club to choose players from the teas that lost to reinforce the team.

G-Fex

I didn't find out til recently mlbclassics puts up whole games from years ago on youtube.

I was watching a bit of Yankees at Mariners 95 game 5 . Great stuff so far

Top Bottom