• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

aFIGurANT

No we don't want Shields. Tell him to stay away.

I'm secretly his agent, Page Ogle or w/e my name is...I'll pass on the note to Big Name James.

Seriously though he's nothing more than an innings eater who, as this says, shares the same crazy past longevity of guys like Verlander, Haren, CC, and Zito. He's probably more average than all of them besides Haren to boot.

Seriously though he's nothing more than an innings eater who, as this says, shares the same crazy past longevity of guys like Verlander, Haren, CC, and Zito. He's probably more average than all of them besides Haren to boot.

And at a higher price (most likely). I would rather spend a lot of money on someone younger but hey, I'm not a GM.

aFIGurANT

And at a higher price (most likely). I would rather spend a lot of money on someone younger but hey, I'm not a GM.

The $$$ is going to be really interesting to see. This late into the season he might be a Lohse-level signing which would be pretty wild when you think back to the end of October.

With all the question marks in the Cards' rotation, we just may need another durable innings eater. I wouldn't be completely opposed to signing him for something like 4 years, 76M. Doubt his price falls that low though.

The $$$ is going to be really interesting to see. This late into the season he might be a Lohse-level signing which would be pretty wild when you think back to the end of October.

I just finished reading that article and it ballparks us offering 4 years $75. That actually wouldn't be the worst thing the Giants have done recently.

edit: But I just don't see it happening with how our pitching is set up currently.

With all the question marks in the Cards' rotation, we just may need another durable innings eater. I wouldn't be completely opposed to signing him for something like 4 years, 76M. Doubt his price falls that low though.

My problem with signing Shields - or any starting pitcher - is that it kicks Carlos Martinez out of the rotation.

We do need an innings eater and I'm not too confident about the health of Wacha and maybe Wainwright. We could definitely use Shields or another SP if/when one of them goes down, but I don't want them before. The problem is that the baseball market doesn't really work like that.

But Jaime Garcia's "feeling good." Maybe we can get like 10 starts from him before his arm literally falls off this time.

BFIB

My problem with signing Shields - or any starting pitcher - is that it kicks Carlos Martinez out of the rotation.

We do need an innings eater and I'm not too confident about the health of Wacha and maybe Wainwright. We could definitely use Shields or another SP if/when one of them goes down, but I don't want them before. The problem is that the baseball market doesn't really work like that.

But Jaime Garcia's "feeling good." Maybe we can get like 10 starts from him before his arm literally falls off this time.

Jaime isn't even in the picture, I don't think. He shows up in ST, and gets a few starts, I see the Cards trying to get anything out of him on a trade.

Wacha also has yet to prove healthy a full season. Shields makes a lot of sense if you want a durable innings eater. But the Cards, its about the years.

Jaime isn't even in the picture, I don't think. He shows up in ST, and gets a few starts, I see the Cards trying to get anything out of him on a trade.

Wacha also has yet to prove healthy a full season. Shields makes a lot of sense if you want a durable innings eater. But the Cards, its about the years.

The Cardinals definitely aren't counting on Jaime for anything, but I don't doubt that he makes a few starts and then in the most Jaime-like fashion gets injured again. Lance Lynn says he's "finally healthy" :lol

Shields would be a good fit for a 4 year deal if he did it. It seems like he'll take a discount to sign with a contender. But I'd really like to see Carlos Martinez be able to have a full season in the rotation

BFIB

The Cardinals definitely aren't counting on Jaime for anything, but I don't doubt that he makes a few starts and then in the most Jaime-like fashion gets injured again. Lance Lynn says he's "finally healthy" :lol

Shields would be a good fit for a 4 year deal if he did it. It seems like he'll take a discount to sign with a contender. But I'd really like to see Carlos Martinez be able to have a full season in the rotation

Agreed. They moved Miller to open the spot for C-Mart. Wouldn't make much sense to go in another direction this far into the offseason.

aFIGurANT

IMO you wait for Miggy to break a leg (literally), JD Martinez to regress and Cespedes to turn into a liability and then pounce (pun intended) on the now-rebuilding Tigers, trading for David Price at the deadline. All of this if the Cubs or Pirates are doing anything serious come the ASB.

IMO you wait for Miggy to break a leg (literally), JD Martinez to regress and Cespedes to turn into a liability and then pounce (pun intended) on the now-rebuilding Tigers, trading for David Price at the deadline. All of this if the Cubs or Pirates are doing anything serious come the ASB.

Please yes.
Then we'll take Price off your hands in FA without pick compensation.

He's got some semblance of dignity though, so that might be an expensive buy.

MINNEAPOLIS — David Price sees the foundation being built by the Cubs and senses plenty of happy times ahead.

The Tampa Bay Rays pitcher spoke hypothetically about his future at an All-Star Game press conference on Monday and said he believes no championship celebration would be sweeter than one experienced by the Cubs and their long-suffering fans, who have waited 106 years.

[RELATED: Baez feels ready for call-up]

Price is not sure where he’ll wind up if he’s traded in the next few months or when he becomes a free agent in 2016, but the 2012 American League Cy Young winner sees how the Cubs have stockpiled top prospects after the trade of Jeff Samardzija and finds their future full of intrigue.

“Winning absolutely is something you want to do," Price told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Being a part of something special is also something you want to do. You can take that to a first-place team. You could take that all the way to a last-place team like the Cubs. With the talent they have coming up they could be a very special team in a few years as well. That would probably be the coolest city to win a championship in. They haven't done it in I'm not sure how long. To do that there that would be the coolest city to win a championship in right now."
http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/david-price-winning-world-series-cubs-would-be-coolest

Friggz

Dodgers the favs to sign Moncada.

ive actually seen quite the opposite. friedman doesnt want to limit himself over the next two international signing periods. i still think its between yankees and sox. yankees know they need him and are going to go after him like they did tanaka.

If I were a gambling man (which I am), I would bet on the Yanks to get Moncada. They've been quiet all off season and I could easily see them pushing heavily to sign him.

Yankees need to just drop a "fuck you" bid here and blow the field away. No more missing out on these Cuban IFAs killing the game right now. If the guy is in fact equivalent potentially to a top-5 draft pick type of player that costs just cash, and only so many teams can even try signing him now, they have to do it.

Im thinking Moncada and Shields to the Yankees.

Moncada first.

If Shields can be had for around Brandon McCarthy's deal (or maybe a little more, like 60 to 65M for 3 years, possibly an option/incentive 4th year), then that'd be a great pickup too.

...but Moncada first. Yanks get him, and then they can potentially have a farm system that can sustain them for another good run as contenders someday.

Parch

Blue Jays always rumored to be in the bidding for arms. I'd take Sheilds.
They need bullpen help too. Could be an opportunity cuz the closer job is up for grabs.

Parch

Another opening available for the NEOGAF BASEBALL LEAGUE.

If you want to give Yahoo Fantasy Baseball a try drop me a PM with your email. It's a 14 team head-to-head keeper league, live draft Apr 2nd 8PM ET.

This all for $70 seems pretty good. Should be around $60 with GCU
16439112335_c8f719b494_z.jpg

Top Bottom