• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

BFIB

Commissioner Manfred lays the smackdown on Hall of Fame voters:

Manfred: Do not assume PED use without sufficient evidence

He can't control how they vote. They are going to vote their way. MLB put this problem on the HOF voters in the first place (as terrible as an idea that you could ask for), instead of dealing w/ the problem earlier on themselves. Leaving up to the voters to decide who from the PED era gets in is beyond stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
HOF is entirely to blame for this. Baseball players have always cheated, juiced before it was illegal, took uppers, scruffed balls, sharpened their cleats to spike second basemen, Some absolute corner stones of the HOF had serious character flaws.

Hell I can even somewhat understand if not forgive those that won't vote for players who failed tests. I don't agree with them and they served their time but that's fine. The players who never failed anything though? Shameful shit.

aFIGurANT

Yes, God forbid a 96-loss team blow things up and try something new.

I mean, I don't follow the Rockies at all, but is that really the prevailing sentiment in Denver? That they needed to keep the team together? Because looking at B-Ref, it looks pretty dire. Outside of Tulo and one or two other guys, it doesn't exactly look like a team that's on the cusp of contending and just needs a few breaks. It looks like a pretty big rebuild.

Their offense is actually pretty damn solid. One of the better OFs if CarGo is healthy and if Dickerson/Blackmon/Stubbs all keep performing like last year. It's a good infield besides 2b, too.

What they lack is any sort of pitching. Brett Anderson is their best hope at an ace right now...lol. He's hurt as often as Tulo and CarGo, which is pretty bad.

Their offense is actually pretty damn solid. One of the better OFs if CarGo is healthy and if Dickerson/Blackmon/Stubbs all keep performing like last year. It's a good infield besides 2b, too.

What they lack is any sort of pitching. Brett Anderson is their best hope at an ace right now...lol. He's hurt as often as Tulo and CarGo, which is pretty bad.
Brett Anderson got signed by the Dodgers a month ago.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Chipper Jones is apparently both a Sandy Hook and a JFK truther.

He's such an asshole.

B9M7RmmCEAEpFeN.jpg

Disgusting.

Good, now get rid of the stupid home field advantage for the WS

He doubled down on keeping the HFA shit for the all star games yesterday so I don't think it's going anywhere. Manfred seems really intent on continuing Selig's legacy of stupidity and incompetence.

Wow at that Chipper Jones tweet. I don't know what's more idiotic; believing that nonsense or deciding it would be a good thing to broadcast to the world.

Cubs will probably get it soon then.

Did anyone else see that Boras wants the WS to be played at a neutral site?
I don't like that idea at all.

I remember a few years ago, Boras was going around with a proposal that the WS should be extended to a 9-game series with the first two games being played in a neutral stadium.

He doubled down on keeping the HFA shit for the all star games yesterday so I don't think it's going anywhere. Manfred seems really intent on continuing Selig's legacy of stupidity and incompetence.

Yep.

Everything I've heard from him suggests that he's just a Selig stooge and his tenure will be nothing more than business as usual.

He just happens to have the good sense to capitalize on the big cities' desire for the ASG to bring another little bit of revenue to the league.

Overlee

MLB could really use a changing of the guard like the NBA got with Silver. Instead we're going to have a Manfred Wing© inside the Bud Selig Hall-O-Fame in 50 years.

Feels stale man.
:(

But hey, at least the All-Star Game means something!

I still don't get it. They had a team pitching WAR value good for 23rd with their best pitcher hurt for most of the year. They're .3 points behind the Phillies.

Meanwhile they're 29th in batting. And baaaaaaaarely ahead of the turrible Stro's order.

I still don't get it. They had a team pitching WAR value good for 23rd with their best pitcher hurt for most of the year. They're .3 points behind the Phillies.

Meanwhile they're 29th in batting. And baaaaaaaarely ahead of the turrible Stro's order.

The Padres? They got Upton, Myers, and Kemp.
I think they are going to make the playoffs if they get Shields. Possibly without him they still have a very good shot.

I think they are going to make the playoffs if they get Shields. Possibly without him they still have a very good shot.

They still need bats outside of the OF. Spending most of their budget on a pitcher doesn't get them to the post-season. I doubt they make it.

Still gotta deal with the Dodgers and Giants. Heck if Dbacks ever stay out of injuries the West gonna be good to watch.

This whole year is going to be awesome competitive-wise. Seems like a lot of divisions are going to be intriguing. The AL West and East are going to be awesome imo with the NL East being the weakest of the bunch.

Not the most consistent of guys though (outside of maybe Upton). They could all have down years and it wouldn't be all that surprising.

aFIGurANT

Not the most consistent of guys though (outside of maybe Upton). They could all have down years and it wouldn't be all that surprising.

Locking down Myers for Trea Turner (or w/e the SS's name was) is big even if they do sorta flop this year. It'll be interesting to watch Turner vs. Myers in the coming years either way the situation pans out for SD.

Malo

Banned
Are people down on Myers that much? I know he didn't have a good sophomore season, but I'm expecting him to return to form this season.

Also, while the Padres are much improved, I still don't think they're going to make the playoffs. That outfield defense is going to be one of the worst in the majors, and they still have to contend with the doyers and giants in that division.

Are people down on Myers that much? I know he didn't have a good sophomore season, but I'm expecting him to return to form this season.

Also, while the Padres are much improved, I still don't think they're going to make the playoffs. That outfield defense is going to be one of the worst in the majors, and they still have to contend with the doyers and giants in that division.

I think Myers bat has a decent bounceback but his defense is still awful. That whole backfield has a -10 UZR ceiling, it's bad.

His wRC+ was 78 last year, his power seemed to fall off a cliff and his FB % climbed. His pitch recognition also appeared to get worse and he really struggled identifying the curve.

I think he'll improve but I don't see a massive upgrade.

Top Bottom