• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014-2015 Offseason |OT| Playoff Dreaming

those three in OF in such a big park? still interested in seeing the Pads this season, just cuz what Preller did was pretty epic. going in right away

Kinda surprised the Jays aren't in the mix. They really need another SP.

Signing Shields would have him plus Buehrle and Dickey at the front. Bunch of dudes in their 30s. Better off waiting for next off season to try to make a signing considering how many good arms are going to be free agents.

They swung for Scherzer and missed. Didn't have the clout to bring in Shields after the recent issues with their FO. AA couldn't convince Boras of his job security or the money for Scherzer so Shields camp wouldn't even deal.

Not really. A bit reliant on young guys (Stroman, Hutchinson, Norris) lasting full seasons, and I'm not crazy about Estrada as fifth starter, but the rotation is pretty set. They need better RP depth, a 4th outfielder and a 2B. That's why they're not going after Hamels either, since getting him would mean giving up at least two of those young pitchers.

Not really. A bit reliant on young guys (Stroman, Hutchinson, Norris) lasting full seasons, and I'm not crazy about Estrada as fifth starter, but the rotation is pretty set. They need better RP depth, a 4th outfielder and a 2B. That's why they're not going after Hamels either, since getting him would mean giving up at least two of those young pitchers.

Their need for rotational help all depends on how they view Hoffman going forward.

If you guys hadn't shipped off Thor I think you'd be in much better shape but, hey, thanks for the prospects.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shields is fine if that signing goes through, but obviously I would have preferred Hamels. Granted, the Phils aren't to just take Cashner and a catching prospect who has a perpetual hole in his bat, but still.

As someone who suffered through the Wakefield/Dickey reality show So You Want to Be a Knuckleballer...how good/bad is that show in comparison?
It's supposed to be a season series where
9 or so people try to deal with their anger management issues with work, family, etc. It's hosted by Ray Lewis.

So based on your post I shouldn't finish watching that documentary of Dickey and Wakefield?

aFIGurANT

It's supposed to be a season series where
9 or so people try to deal with their anger management issues with work, family, etc. It's hosted by Ray Lewis.

So based on your post I shouldn't finish watching that documentary of Dickey and Wakefield?

The documentary is probably good although I've only caught bits and pieces. I'm talking about the MLBN show that took a bunch of washed up dudes and got one of them (I can't remember his name because nothing became of him) an invite to Dbacks Spring Training. I wonder why Mark Mulder wasn't on now that I think of it, he could have smashed those chumps hard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sources reporting that the Shields-Padres deal is done. About the same terms as previously reported - $72-78mm/4 yrs.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/2/9/7977265/james-shields-padres-contract-mlb-free-agency-2014

As a Padres fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. Its not long enough to totally cripple the franchise if it doesn't work out and while Hamels is unquestionably a better player, its probably way better to just give up money (and a pick) vs. a ton of prospects AND money to get Hamels.

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
The Padres are taking over the world: Sources say San Diego is working out Yoan Moncada today and plans to be aggressive in bidding for him.

Angry Grimace

Padres are spending cash...

What changed over there?

The payroll isn't as high as you probably think it is. It was still south of $90MM and the league median is like $110.

The other thing is that they have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years (Carlos Quentin, Justin Upton, Will Venable, Joaquin Benoit, Cory Luebke, Shawn Kelley, Brandon Morrow and Josh Johnson).

None of those guys are getting resigned and some of them are short term reclamation projects - they aren't really planning to retain Upton and probably won't resign Ian Kennedy so they're going to get released from that money plus they're likely to get comp picks from there and their top two prospects are already in AAA (Hunter Renfroe and Matt Wisler) so I think they're hoping them to be ready to start next year.

Sanjuro

Knowing that he can get a good year in SD then get traded to Chicago on the same deal when they are good in 2016 probably sealed it for him.

Unless their culture is changing, this would be my assumption. Right now they are constructed to be the best 3-4th place team the world has ever seen.

Cubs starting to get crappy baseball game covers. Can't wait for MLB 2017 w/Bryant though.

B9a8sAGCcAAecn0.jpg

Friggz

Do your fucking job, Cashman.

padres have a lot of money coming off the books after the season, but i have to believe that if the yankees want him enough, nobody is going to out bid them. Hal does seem to be concerned about the bottom line a little more though. we'll see.

Sanjuro

I still give the Yankees a bit of guff, yet the team was still largely competitive longer than I would imagine. They always seem to do it. Although, looking at their pieces I have no fucking idea.

Friggz

I still give the Yankees a bit of guff, yet the team was still largely competitive longer than I would imagine. They always seem to do it. Although, looking at their pieces I have no fucking idea.

Their rebuild years are still 85+ wins, which is impressive when you look at the run diff, pythag, etc. One thing that hasnt changed for them however is having a great pen. They develop elite bullpen arms as good as any team in baseball, and can usually hang onto that 1 or 2 run lead late in the game.

Their rebuild years are still 85+ wins, which is impressive when you look at the run diff, pythag, etc. One thing that hasnt changed for them however is having a great pen. They develop elite bullpen arms as good as any team in baseball, and can usually hang onto that 1 or 2 run lead late in the game.

Pitching carried them. Second highest WAR in all of baseball, BP arms contributed to a lot of that. However I think the loss of McCarthy and Kuroda can't be undersold. Losing your two best SP's is never a good thing. But we'll see how it works itself out.

It's the ageing, seemingly power deprived bats that would concern me.

Farm depth is the best in baseball, but there isn't a top end marquee prospect to make their ranking pop.

Interested to see where they go, if they manage to keep Nova/Pineda healthy (CC is done) they could sneak up on 90 wins.

But that's a big if.

Friggz

Pitching carried them. Second highest WAR in all of baseball, BP arms contributed to a lot of that. However I think the loss of McCarthy and Kuroda can't be undersold. Losing your two best SP's is never a good thing. But we'll see how it works itself out.

It's the ageing, seemingly power deprived bats that would concern me.

Farm depth is the best in baseball, but there isn't a top end marquee prospect to make their ranking pop.

Interested to see where they go, if they manage to keep Nova/Pineda healthy (CC is done) they could sneak up on 90 wins.

But that's a big if.

they have done a good job of piecing together the rotation, especially after the injury bug hit last year. the bullpen though has for the most part remained a constant.

It's funny listening to all the Yankees doom and gloom going around for the past few years yet they've managed to have an above .500 team. Anyone who truly believes the Yankees won't be competitive for the next few years is a fool.

Sanjuro

It's funny listening to all the Yankees doom and gloom going around for the past few years yet they've managed to have an above .500 team. Anyone who truly believes the Yankees won't be competitive for the next few years is a fool.

You would be a fool to think that is good enough.

Top Bottom