• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

zychi

Banned
So the way STL plays everyone else, bitches about everything the other team(s) do, how players handle themselves, and how they hit players on purpose. And since Wong did a bat flip, SF has the right to hit whoever they want in the first inning of the next game right? STL fans cry and whine about "how to play the game," so it's only right that Yadi or Wong get plunked immediately? No repercussions from STL and no complaining from "the best fans in baseball?"

Or is this one of those things where the "best fans" are hypocrites like they are with PED players?

So the way STL plays everyone else, bitches about everything the other team(s) do, how players handle themselves, and how they hit players on purpose. And since Wong did a bat flip, SF has the right to hit whoever they want in the first inning of the next game right? STL fans cry and whine about "how to play the game," so it's only right that Yadi or Wong get plunked immediately? No repercussions from STL and no complaining from "the best fans in baseball?"
To be honest, I'd appreciate more baserunners. Can't win against team BABIP so HBP, HRs and the occasional walks are all we've got.

Or is this one of those things where the "best fans" are hypocrites like they are with PED players?

Most of the players who are doing the bat flipping and whatever have actually gotten shit from Matheny before. Like, Wong was benched almost immediately when he went into a little slump early in the year and I don't doubt him playing like he does had an effect on that. It's dumb and the preachiness is basically the worst part of being a Cardinals fan

I think since the Allen Craig trade the team has realized they needed an "edge" and doesn't really care anymore

I guess when your team is out for the year (and since you're a Cubs fan, the past 100 or so years) you have to cling to things like this

Also what Yoda said go ahead and plunk our guys. More baserunners for our apparent home run threats

2 to go! What happened btw?

Oops, delayed answer... nothing too special, I just had a workshop to attend in the afternoon that overlapped with the first hour of the game, then drove across town to my in-laws for a while where they were watching, but have no wifi or cell signal in that room, then I had an awards banquet for the Roller Derby league I'm an announcer for that overlapped the final inning or two (although once I got there, everyone was listening to the radio feed over the PA system, and FREAKED OUT all over again when Holland shut it down).

see5harp

Thankfully the Giants aren't really don't this crap. I can't think of an actual purposeful hpb this year, just accidental ones. I'm sure it happened at some point though.

Purpose is hard to say. Mad Bum will plunk a guy though and then stare him down. That might have been more Puig being a complete idiot though.

It's not our fault the Cardinals are the most respectable team in MLB. As a fan, how can we not point out all the rudeness and utter disrespect displayed by every other team?

Besides, Wong's flip was done in a gentlemanly manner which makes it an act of kindness and respect for the great game of baseball.

Purpose is hard to say. Mad Bum will plunk a guy though and then stare him down. That might have been more Puig being a complete idiot though.

Thats the only time I can remember from this year that it happened. Also Puig seems to be a special case for a lot of pitchers. Doesn't make it right but thats how it seems to be. There is no animosity between the Cards and Giants that I can think of.

It's not our fault the Cardinals are the most respectable team in MLB. As a fan, how can we not point out all the rudeness and utter disrespect displayed by every other team?

Besides, Wong's flip was done in a gentlemanly manner which makes it an act of kindness and respect for the great game of baseball.

I know your joking but I don't give a shit about the bat flip. He just hit a walk off in a playoff game that might have saved the Cards season. Thats something to be pretty damn happy/proud of.

BFIB

I think a lot of that complaining about the bat flipping hitting batters etc. is mostly from new fans or fans that only hopped on the bandwagon within the last decade or so, in the TLR era. A lot of those fans that Have been watching the game a lot longer than that I think are okay with the way that other teams play the game. I think to be competitive you almost have to have a little edge. you can't sit back complacent.I can't speak for everyone else but I know as a Cardinals fan I like watching other teams show off it's emotion. it's October baseball I'd much rather see emotion on the field than the old TLR approach of treating every game like it's mid June.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
btw
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/521519197415673856 said:
Joel Sherman
‏@Joelsherman1
Pierzynski counseled Wong not to go for HR, just get on base in 9th. So after HR, Wong yelled at Pierzynski “Did I get on base” #stlcards
lol

Maybe he's angling for Mabry's job as hitting coach. Or even Lilliquist's job as pitching coach.

“He said let’s just look at your delivery and make sure you’re getting in the right spots,” shared Adam Wainwright last night of going over video with Pierzynski, who identified the right-hander was keeping the baseball in his glove too long.

“He was in the video room, I was in the video room getting prepared for maybe hitting later in the game, and I was just talking to him and asking him what he was looking at,” explained Pierzynski on Sunday. “He was sitting there kind of doing stuff from early in the year, what he saw.

“The first thing I asked him was he physically okay? He said yes, which I know people have been questioning for awhile here. And then second of all, he’s like what do you see? And I just talked to him about a minor thing that I saw from the video that we were watching together. And I was like, Look, if you don’t think this is right, then you can tell me to beat it, but he’s like, No.
And I was like, Sometimes this is what I see out of you when you’re good, this is what I see when you’re struggling, you’re up a little bit, not as sharp, this is what I see.
http://www.stlbaseballweekly.com/pierzynski-making-impact/

aFIGurANT

The one thing I listened to today (Effectively Wild from BP) had its hosts guessing that Wainwright is hitting the point where he needs the second TJ. His innings have piled up way too high is their theory but damn I hope they're wrong. If someone like Masterson gets trotted out for game five it's as good as over.

The one thing I listened to today (Effectively Wild from BP) had its hosts guessing that Wainwright is hitting the point where he needs the second TJ. His innings have piled up way too high is their theory but damn I hope they're wrong. If someone like Masterson gets trotted out for game five it's as good as over.
Gonzales would get the start if it comes to that, I bet. Wonder if that's why Maness came in to face Sandoval with the bases loaded last night in the ninth. Matheny can be dumb sometimes but I doubt he was unaware that Pablo hits worse from the right side.

zychi

Banned
I guess when your team is out for the year (and since you're a Cubs fan, the past 100 or so years) you have to cling to things like this
Totally relevant!

Typical Cardinal fan attacking fan bases that aren't even involved after their team acts like a bunch of asshats again for the 9000th time.

"The actual Cardinal way"

I think a lot of that complaining about the bat flipping hitting batters etc. is mostly from new fans or fans that only hopped on the bandwagon within the last decade or so, in the TLR era. A lot of those fans that Have been watching the game a lot longer than that I think are okay with the way that other teams play the game. I think to be competitive you almost have to have a little edge. you can't sit back complacent.I can't speak for everyone else but I know as a Cardinals fan I like watching other teams show off it's emotion. it's October baseball I'd much rather see emotion on the field than the old TLR approach of treating every game like it's mid June.

I'm all for emotion, don't mind the batflip, actually really like Puig. But when your team actively hits people for doing it the past two seasons, and has hit two players this year alone for it. You deserve to be hit the following game when one of your players does it on a walk off.

And in typical Cardinal fan fashion(not you nemss) the fans switch their opinion on it when it happens.

See: bitching about PEDs all World Series, followed by signing of Peralta and "we don't care about PEDs, he did his suspension"

Such hypocrites.

Gonzales would get the start if it comes to that, I bet. Wonder if that's why Maness came in to face Sandoval with the bases loaded last night in the ninth. Matheny can be dumb sometimes but I doubt he was unaware that Pablo hits worse from the right side.

It didn't make much sense to me at the time, but because the bases were loaded maybe it was a good idea to bring in Maness because his control is pristine and he rarely walks batters. But one ground ball that gets through and that's at least one run

It would have been better to bring him in earlier though.

Wainwright is definitely due for anothe TJ soon though. He didn't change his mechanics at all after his first one. The Lackey trade is pretty huge at this point

Askani

Lame. It's been raining here pretty much all day and last night, so we were expecting it, but still sucks:

THE Fake Ned ‏@TheFakeNed 40m
Starting to hear from multiple connected sources that game is cancelled. MLB working on revised schedule. Obviously, official announc coming​

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar 1m
Peter Woodfork of MLB is set to address reporters in the next few minutes. Which doesn't bode well for tonight's game.​

EDIT :::::

And:

Jeff Rosen ‏@jeff_rosen88 2m
OFFICIAL: Today's #ALCS game three is CANCELLED. More details soon. #royals​

EDIT 2 :::::

New times:

Andy McCullough ‏@McCulloughStar 4m
Bang that gong. Game 3 will be played tomorrow. Game 4 will be Wednesday at 3 pm local time Game 5 will be Thursday at 3 pm local time.​

Bummer! Kinda weird too, that if the Royals clinch the ALCS, it'll very possibly be during a game that's played while people are driving home from work...

BFIB

I'm all for emotion, don't mind the batflip, actually really like Puig. But when your team actively hits people for doing it the past two seasons, and has hit two players this year alone for it. You deserve to be hit the following game when one of your players does it on a walk off.

And in typical Cardinal fan fashion(not you nemss) the fans switch their opinion on it when it happens.

See: bitching about PEDs all World Series, followed by signing of Peralta and "we don't care about PEDs, he did his suspension"

Such hypocrites.

Yeah, I think we've all, as general fans of the game, have been guilty of blasting one team for their PED use, while turning a blind eye to their own team's shortcomings. I know here in STL, Bonds and the San Fran fans were vehemently ripped at for supporting a guy like Bonds....but then overlooking and even to a point defending McGwire and his use. Hell, I know I've had to catch myself on that sometimes. I also agree on the HBP scenario. Do I want to see guys hit in the head? Absolutely not. Do I feel that sometimes you need to pitch inside to get guys off the plate, and balls get away? Absolutely. Its part of the game, and it happens both ways. If tomorrow Affelt plucks Holliday in the ribs, then it is what it is. Its part of the game.

Gibson's antics not withstanding of course. :)

JDHarbs

These days off continue to scare me. Eventually something is going to stop all of our momentum. Hopefully its waits until next year to happen, but with the extra day off and Guthrie not having a start in the playoffs yet, Game 3 looks as good as any to be our first loss.

Edit:
HOLY SHIT my boss just bought tickets for tomorrow night for three of us and him

I'M GOING TO AN MLB PLAYOFF GAME
GET IN THERE AND UNLEASH BLUE HELL!

Meohsix

People in KC tonight.
1NtgGkK.gif

I can't imagine he gets a start. But I think Matheny and co. are hoping he's good enough to be a defensive replacement. Doubt he'll be swinging a bat anytime soon with an oblique injury so double switches every game!

zulux21

wonk wonk wonk only playoffs count for dues.

Anyone who has followed KC for the last few years knows exactly how much they had to go through to even make it where they are. This isn't a team that was magically built this season but one they have been working towards since alex gordan and billy butler came up. A team that they slowly put together that eventually made it to good, but not good enough, until finally this year they were good enough to make it and are making the most of it.

As a white sox fan I have been afraid of them for a while, it's a pleasure watching them finally get it together as while it's nice to just dominate a division... it's far more interesting and fun to win a division that is full of good teams.

Malo

Banned
I just noticed mlbtr has a podcast now. Has anyone giving a listen to it? I want to know if it's worth listening to.

Pierzynski to start game 3. Molina on the bench.
As expected. Curious to see how much action Yadi gets in the next few games.

My guess is that Wacha just got a new cheerleading buddy and our 25 man roster is now a 23 man roster. Which isn't good considering Descalso and Kozma are part of that 23 man crew.

Hope Lackey pitches well today.

BFIB

As expected. Curious to see how much action Yadi gets in the next few games.

My guess is that Wacha just got a new cheerleading buddy and our 25 man roster is now a 23 man roster. Which isn't good considering Descalso and Kozma are part of that 23 man crew.

Hope Lackey pitches well today.
Honestly, best thing to do is shut him down. We've seen how oblique injuries when pushed, can create long lasting issues. Morse is a prime example.

Honestly, best thing to do is shut him down. We've seen how oblique injuries when pushed, can create long lasting issues. Morse is a prime example.
They're probably hoping he somehow miraculously heals in the next week or so and don't want to remove him on the off-chance we advance to the WS.

I guess the big question is whether another warm body makes a difference (Scruggs for a better RH pinch hit option? Freeman for more pitching depth?) It just sucks to know we're playing shorthanded from the start. Though it's probably only a big issue if we head into extras.

aFIGurANT

Yadi apparently woke up yesterday feeling multiple times better than he was feeling Sunday. He's been on the field catching and throwing and he's (supposedly) fine there. He'll probably be available to sub in late in a game for defense. I'm not sure how that works as you don't usually see a defensive catching replacement but there you go.

Derrick Goold, by the way, has said that Molina may be the next in line for the postseason wounded-hero treatment. Apparently Schumaker and Eckstein battled late oblique strains in the WS and we know how that turned out.

Top Bottom