• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

ibusKTNBdLyKL.gif

I miss playing games with you.

Enron

Banned
Bring in the team graphic!

D-Backs are Dodgers' allies, however. You could tell by the way they let the Dodgers players use their outfield pool to celebrate their division title win.

Seriously, why is the team graphic not in the first post? We should update that thing this season.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
watching the news at work just now and they said a fortune article says Jeter is on a list of the greatest leaders....with the Dalai Lama, the Pope etc.....

BFIB

Can we just declare Jeter the MVP of the All-Star Game now? Or do we really have to do through the song and dance?

Never forget:

fJwkg.jpg

tCKrs.gif

I was at work that night, and every time is check my phone something crazy would've happened. GAF was really fun that night too. Too bad about the end result, though. If Kimbrel locked his shit down when it mattered, Brewers would've ended up stomping a mudhole into Texas and walking it dry.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Why are you so down on Braves ownership? They actually seem like they are kind of trying now.
I'm fairly lukewarm on them. If I had to guess, LM is planning to sell the team when the stadium is built and the org's value jumps up accordingly.

I'm fairly lukewarm on them. If I had to guess, LM is planning to sell the team when the stadium is built and the org's value jumps up accordingly.

I think outside of Loria the other ownerships in the East at least all try. Phils and Nats both spend a lot, Braves are spending more, and the Mats have spent big in the past. Its not like we have a division of Pirates and Rays or anything.

CygnusXS

I think outside of Loria the other ownerships in the East at least all try. Phils and Nats both spend a lot, Braves are spending more, and the Mats have spent big in the past. Its not like we have a division of Pirates and Rays or anything.
Phils owners spend, but they also leave one of the most incompetent FO's intact. Mets owners stole from their team and now have a payroll way below their market level because they're trapped in a tremendous amount of debt.

Phils owners spend, but they also leave one of the most incompetent FO's intact. Mets owners stole from their team and now have a payroll way below their market level because they're trapped in a tremendous amount of debt.

I will disagree about the Phils FO. Just 2 years ago they had the best record in baseball, they also got to 2 WS with Ruben and won 1. Every team goes through periods where guys get old. The Yankees had that very problem last year, huge payroll with an old team that missed the playoffs. The Phils problem is that they havent been able to spend themselves out of guys getting old like the Yankees have now done twice.

CygnusXS

I will disagree about the Phils FO. Just 2 years ago they had the best record in baseball, they also got to 2 WS with Ruben and won 1. Every team goes through periods where guys get old. The Yankees had that very problem last year, huge payroll with an old team that missed the playoffs. The Phils problem is that they havent been able to spend themselves out of guys getting old like the Yankees have now done twice.
Well, are you saying that they haven't been spending enough or that they haven't been spending correctly?
if that happen, who do you want as the owner of the team? anyone on mind?
Gigantic shrug. Just somebody that cares about the product on the field. Beyond that it's probably irrelevant.

No Chick-fil-A though.

Well, are you saying that they haven't been spending enough or that they haven't been spending correctly?

I think some o0f the singing's have been really good, ie Lee, the Pap signing was a good one as well, but they have also gotten really unlucky, Utley's knees failing, Doc's shoulder falling apart, and Howard tearing his Achilles. The worst signing for me was Rollins, he was already declining and his style of play made it clear that it would only get worse. Even that though they really didnt have a guy that they thought they could replace him with. Resigning Ruiz after a down year could be a bad one, we will have to wait and see. There used to be a bunch of good free agents available every year, and it seemed like their plan was to trade away young guys for experienced guys and then spend money on Fas to fill the holes, but now everyone is locking up their own guys before they become FAs and that has killed that plan.

You really think giving a relief pitcher $50 million was a good idea?

Also, Pat Gillick was still the GM when the Phillies won in '08. Amaro took over the next season.

You really think giving a relief pitcher $50 million was a good idea?

Also, Pat Gillick was still the GM when the Phillies won in '08. Amaro took over the next season.

I know it was still Pat but everything I have read or heard about that year was that Ruben was really involved and already being groomed to take over. I have no idea why people get hung up on how much relievers make. If you can get a top closer then I dont care at all what it costs, even though the team as a whole has struggled Pap still has a good amount of saves, and it would have been much more if they had blown so many 8th inning leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom