• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is productive for another 8 years I'd be totally shocked. I think this will probably be an albatross around his age 33, 34 season. And then there's plenty more years to go. The Tigers best chance for this to work out is if they can void the contract after he injures himself driving drunk again.

He should still be a 4.5 to 5 win player up through around age 34 or 35, unless he starts to decline at a rate above the norm. Based on his current level, I think the contract would probably be good value up through around age 35 (the going rate for a win right now is around $6 million, and inflating, so anything past 5 wins is surplus value, and by the time it gets there, even 4 wins might be right about the correct value), an overpay around 36-37, and then an albatross in the last years. Probably two years too many, accepting that longterm contracts always frontload the value for the team and have the last years be an overpay.

I just can't get over how anyone that had any decision making from the Tigers side thought this is a good deal.

Unless the owner has completely lost his mind, which is possible.

I'm sure Illitch is pretty much directly responsible for this. He probably wanted to be sure Cabrera spent the rest of his career in Detroit no matter the expense, and there's no way Dombrowski was going to be able to talk him off that.

aFIGurANT

Excited to watch the Scherzer sweepstakes next year. Going to be a barn burner.

The weird thing about Scherzer is he really has only had one exceptional year. He has had great peripherals for most of his career but besides being a high strike-out pitcher he still hasn't replicated the crazy run prevention from last year, at least not yet. He could definitely be a late bloomer and a sub-3.0 ERA guy for a few more years but I sort of don't get why he didn't just take the money after his Cy Young when his value was probably at its highest. It comes down to this year, as is obvious for any player entering a contract year obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if his ERA spikes a bit again.

aFIGurANT

10 years for a 31 yo

the fuck

he's gonna get so fat

@jonmorosi

Miguel Cabrera's deal will have AAV around $30 million, over at least 6 additional years beyond the 2 he has left on current contract.

There's no public announcement yet but it will probably be less than 10 years even taking into account the two left on his 2008 contract.

Sanjuro

I've had a few beers tonight.

I'm thinking...have a few more, go out and drive, and get myself a $30mil deal.

Hey, it could happen!

#DrunkWorlddddddddd

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
My avatar made the Nationals, though I'm sure it's not as a starter. Still hoping for a career resurgence.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yuengling for now.

I no longer have to cross the NY state line to buy this for my dad, who loves the stuff as his go to non fancy beer. This is good because I'm three hours away from the NY state border and only went when I visited my brother who lives 20 minutes away from it. Now It's within walking distance.

Sanjuro

I no longer have to cross the NY state line to buy this for my dad, who loves the stuff as his go to non fancy beer. This is good because I'm three hours away from the NY state border and only went when I visited my brother who lives 20 minutes away from it. Now It's within walking distance.

When I lived in NY, I only had it a few times. Just came to MA about a month ago for the first time. Pretty big ad campaign and most stores got it really fast. Kind of impressed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When I lived in NY, I only had it a few times. Just came to MA about a month ago for the first time. Pretty big ad campaign and most stores got it really fast. Kind of impressed.

Word got out it was coming last fall. The stores around here had signs advertising it days after the announcement.

3N16MA

Banned
They had him locked until he was nearly 33. Why would you extend him for basically 8/248 now when you could let it ride another season or even more? 31M AAV from age 33-40 is dumb as fuck.

Player lose leverage as they age not gain it.

They had him locked until he was nearly 33. Why would you extend him for basically 8/248 now when you could let it ride another season or even more? 31M AAV from age 33-40 is dumb as fuck.

Player lose leverage as they age not gain it.

miggy3_5-21-13.gif

Cabrera should get all he money he can grab. If the Tigers want to hand it to him he should be polite and accept it. Hilarious that there needs to be two vesting options at 60M at the end of it.

Vesting options for the age 41 and 42 seasons are just completely idiotic. I mean, I doubt they could actually kick in unless he's somehow still a star player at 40, but I still don't even get the idea at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Vesting options for the age 41 and 42 seasons are just completely idiotic. I mean, I doubt they could actually kick in unless he's somehow still a star player at 40, but I still don't even get the idea at all.

Maybe mega steroids are invented and he turns into a fatter DHier Barry Bonds. There's nothing wrong with offering it though, as you say it probably won't come to pass and if it somehow does then it might even be worth it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cabrera should get all he money he can grab. If the Tigers want to hand it to him he should be polite and accept it. Hilarious that there needs to be two vesting options at 60M at the end of it.

Vesting options feel like a fool/trick overconfident dumb people. I mean, sure, when you're 31, why wouldn't you? Vest this, bitch, is what I'd say to any team that wanted to sign ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom