• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
holy shit..

edit; Interesting fact, of all the seasons Tony Gwynn played, he only finished in the top 5 of MVP voting 1 time. 1984, Keith Hernandez and Ryne Sandberg finished ahead of him.

RIP Tony Gwinn? Was he sick? I had no idea...

One of my best memories is seeing him play at The Vet, and expecting to be blown out, but instead the Phillies beat the Padres and it was awesome. I'm glad I got to see him play...what a legend.

Holy shit. I didn't even realize he was battling cancer. RIP Tony Gwynn

He had throat cancer from his years of massive chewing tobacco use. He had been doing some things the last few years trying to enlighten people about not using chewing tobacco.

Fox318

I bought 2 books to try and hit better when I was playing ball.

The Science of Hitting and The Art of Hitting.

By Ted Williams and Tony G

Malvingt2

Mike Morgan ‏@MorganOnAir
Wow! "@AceballStats Tony Gwynn had 287 career plate appearances vs #Braves trio of Maddux, Glavine, & Smoltz--hitting .381 w/ just 3 K's."

Enron

Banned
Just saw the Tony Gwynn news. I saw a blurb not too long ago that indicated things were going downhill fast for him. Sad, I grew up watching him play.

cashman

Banned
As impressive as Victor Martinez striking out as much as he home runs is, he still has a 6.2K% higher than Gwynn's career average.

jakncoke

Banned
Looking at some historical k%

Tris Speaker struck out just 2.3% in his 11988 PA

Cap Anson 2.7% in his 11319 PA

Eddie Collins 3.2% in his 12037 PA

Also, players with at least 10000 PA, Reggie Jackson is the only player north of 20% with 22.7%

Malvingt2

BqRMwutCcAErdKn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom