• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

Wonder what SD will get for Street, he's a great closer, should get a nice bundle in return

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1
Players Association is going to issue a statement shortly on Aiken matter. War drums growing for next CBA negotiations #Astros

MLBPA gotta be really pissed about this heh

aFIGurANT

Wonder if the "big fish" Passan was talking about is Price. This would make more sense if so

Word is that the Rays are looking for a package greater than that which landed Samardzija so I'm really praying that Mo keeps his wits about him. After watching some of the struggles of the rookies this year, though, maybe you do move some of them for the king of K/9 and other things (HRs, for one).

Supposed the Reds, Giants, Blue Jays, and A's are already interested in Uggla.

Uggla's career numbers in the Giants park are sick, but then again, his career numbers in Turner Field with the Marlins were nuclear as well...
He'll get picked up by the Giants and then he'll go on some miraculous career saving run where he leads them to win the division. Then they lose to the Dodgers in the NLDS.

EDIT: I totally put NLDS there. Nobody saw anything.

BFIB

Word is that the Rays are looking for a package greater than that which landed Samardzija so I'm really praying that Mo keeps his wits about him. After watching some of the struggles of the rookies this year, though, maybe you do move some of them for the king of K/9 and other things (HRs, for one).

The Cards will need pitching help, but I wouldn't aim for Price and give up numerous top prospects. I'd aim a little lower for a guy that has a respectable ERA and can eat innings.

Ian Kennedy maybe?

cashman

Banned
So the Astros are guaranteed at least the number 2 overall pick next year. They could potentially get the top 2 spots if they manage to out suck the Rangers.

cashman

Banned
This is also a good example of why the draft pool money is a terrible idea. By failing to sign Aiken the Astros lose Jacob Nix who already had a deal in place and passed a physical. In fact that Astros might've not even brought this issue up in the first place if they could spend whatever they wanted.

Malvingt2

Scott Miller ‏@ScottMillerBbl
More Clark: "Because of actions of the Houston Astros, they are not. MLBPA, the players & their advisers are exploring all legal options.”

cashman

Banned
Jeff Passan ✔ @JeffPassan
Follow
Scary Astros possibility: If Nix wins grievance to pay agreed-upon $1.5M, Houston 17% over bonus pool, would forfeit next two 1st-rd picks.

Oh god, please let this happen.

aFIGurANT

This is also a good example of why the draft pool money is a terrible idea. By failing to sign Aiken the Astros lose Jacob Nix who already had a deal in place and passed a physical. In fact that Astros might've not even brought this issue up in the first place if they could spend whatever they wanted.

Didn't they basically lowball Aiken all day today though? This bit from Heyman suggests so:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#astros made 3 offers friday, the 2nd w/30 mins to go, the 3rd, at $5M, w/5 mins. aiken side: no counters. he just said no

So really it was more the attempt to devalue Aiken with the MRI that seems to have driven him away. That or he really wanted all 7MM or whatever the number was.

cashman

Banned
Didn't they basically lowball Aiken all day today though? This bit from Heyman suggests so:

So really it was more the attempt to devalue Aiken with the MRI that seems to have driven him away. That or he really wanted all 7MM or whatever the number was.

One reason people think the Astros are exaggerating the elbow issue is because the 1.5 mil they would have saved from the new deal would have been used towards the signing of 21st round pick Mac Marshall. Now that Aiken went unsigned they lose all the slot money that was assigned to his pick, and now can't sign the other two guys.

jakncoke

Banned
omfg honestly.

holy fuck terrible fielding this inning.

welp the rockies have had like 23 people on base in 2 innings and only scored 1 run so we are obviously hax'ing the game

Gonzalez played off Clemente wall terribly lol

edit; holy shit the stick the dude in the stands has with the pirates flag attached. like 20 feet in the air legit.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Basically no matter what, the Astros lose:

They sign Aiken, his elbow implodes, is a lost cause, and look like fools.

Don't sign Aiken and look like fools.

Though, Aiken is fucking stupid for not taking the money at that age. Fuck, if I was 17 and guaranteed at least 5m? Even IF my elbow blew out, I'd still be set for life.

aFIGurANT

One reason people think the Astros are exaggerating the elbow issue is because the 1.5 mil they would have saved from the new deal would have been used towards the signing of 21st round pick Mac Marshall. Now that Aiken went unsigned they lose all the slot money that was assigned to his pick, and now can't sign the other two guys.

That makes sense. If nothing else this is a good lesson on the downfalls of the new system. If I'm understanding correctly you get a set amount of $$$ per round and the leftovers are then added to a pool which can be spent elsewhere in the draft?

cashman

Banned
That makes sense. If nothing else this is a good lesson on the downfalls of the new system. If I'm understanding correctly you get a set amount of $$$ per round and the leftovers are then added to a pool which can be spent elsewhere in the draft?

Yep, and you have to sign the pick to get any left over $$.

aFIGurANT

Yep, and you have to sign the pick to get any left over $$.

So how much green was Mac demanding then? And wouldn't he have to wait until next year to be drafted if he didn't agree this year, sort of forcing his hand to accept whatever "paltry" deal Houston offered?

cashman

Banned
The system is kinda confusing. Can somebody explain it?

This is a decent article to explain the Astros situation http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/7...-math-on-houstons-brady-aiken-draft-pool-mess

So how much green was Mac demanding then? And wouldn't he have to wait until next year to be drafted if he didn't agree this year, sort of forcing his hand to accept whatever "paltry" deal Houston offered?
Mac is a guy who was considered a tough sign because he was pretty solid on his college commitment and was looking for around 1.5 mil. Because of this he fell all the way to the 21st round where the most he could be offered was 100k unless the Stros had leftover pool money.

Enron

Banned
Seems like forever since we've seen a J Hey big fly.

Edit: Aw yuss BJ

Edit Edit: What the fuck where are all these runs coming from D:

Malvingt2

If Mac doesn't sign with the Astros and goes to LSU, he's probably expecting to be drafted in a higher position when he re-enters the draft (in 3 years?). Which would mean his "slot" is more $$$$ than w/e the Astros were offering.

Obviously, there's the injury risk and the lost wages in the meantime. But typically, the only guys whose hands are forced are college seniors (only option besides signing is independent ball or w/e) so that's why organizations will draft seniors to save slot money.

Syrinx

This is a decent article to explain the Astros situation http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/7...-math-on-houstons-brady-aiken-draft-pool-mess

Mac is a guy who was considered a tough sign because he was pretty solid on his college commitment and was looking for around 1.5 mil. Because of this he fell all the way to the 21st round where the most he could be offered was 100k unless the Stros had leftover pool money.

So the way I take it is that the Astros fucked up by not getting their deal with Aiken done before offering that other guy a bonus significantly above his slot value?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is the Yankee's defense always this terrible? Or is this just some kind of special terrible reserved for inter-league play?

cashman

Banned
So the way I take it is that the Astros fucked up by not getting their deal with Aiken done before offering that other guy a bonus significantly above his slot value?

Imo they fucked up by not giving in to Aiken at the end. If Nix wins his grievance than the Astros are going to lose their first round picks for 2015 and 2016.

aFIGurANT

If Mac doesn't sign with the Astros and goes to LSU, he's probably expecting to be drafted in a higher position when he re-enters the draft (in 3 years?). Which would mean his "slot" is more $$$$ than w/e the Astros were offering.

Obviously, there's the injury risk and the lost wages in the meantime. But typically, the only guys whose hands are forced are college seniors (only option besides signing is independent ball or w/e) so that's why organizations will draft seniors to save slot money.

I'll have to read that article and hope it maybe shines some light on whatever the intent was with the slot system. Right now it just seems to help clubs and not the prospects at all.

Also I've figured out why the hate on Tim McCarver; he ear-beats you with this grandfatherly explanations that would only speak to the intellect of a 12yr old.

I'm in Oakland for the O's game, and the fans definitely have shit planned for when Machado comes to bat. Lots of signs with Manny's face crying and a pacifier, and lots of baby rattles.

I'll be the O's fan in right field with the rowdies.

Syrinx

Imo they fucked up by not giving in to Aiken at the end. If Nix wins his grievance than the Astros are going to lose their first round picks for 2015 and 2016.

Well that too but it sounded like he had it with them and wasn't interested in signing period.

Would they also lose the pick they'd get next year for not signing Aiken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom