• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Milone was kind of in the Athletics' doghouse, but that seems like a pretty lousy return. He's good (or at least better than average), whereas Sam Fuld is...Sam Fuld (that is, five years older and not very good).

Like, I get trading Cespedes for Lester. Cespesdes is flashy but, for the most part, can be replaced (plus, obviously, they get one of baseball's best pitchers out of the deal, and a pretty decent platoon OF). But Fuld adds nothing at all to the team, and possibly actively makes them worse. I'm not even an A's fan, and it being such a seemingly terrible deal pisses me off.

eznark

Banned
Well, they do only have Lester for two months. I guess they could be contenders next year but this year is the best shot they're gonna have for a while.

Why? They haven't given much of anything up. They would've traded Cespedes next year anyway. It's not like they are emptying out their farm system. And yesterday they didn't even have Lester, so I don't how getting him makes them worse off for next season. Cespedes is good but he's 29 years old and heading into a contract year.

Syrinx

Why? They haven't given much of anything up. They would've traded Cespedes next year anyway. It's not like they are emptying out their farm system. And yesterday they didn't even have Lester, so I don't how getting him makes them worse off for next season. Cespedes is good but he's 29 years old and heading into a contract year.

Fair enough. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that Cespedes would have been there next year which is likely false.

eznark

Banned
Fair enough. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that Cespedes would have been there next year which is likely false.

For a few months at best. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but this narrative is already spreading through baseball writing and it's just false.

Plus they freed up $10.4 million for 2015 by moving him now.

BFIB

I might just have to hop on this A's bandwagon if the Cards don't somehow get their shit together. I gotta root for someone in the playoffs.

For a few months at best. I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but this narrative is already spreading through baseball writing and it's just false.

Plus they freed up $10.4 million for 2015 by moving him now.

But if they waited until next year to trade him they might have gotten more then a rental player. I do like that trade for both teams though.

RBH

The Milone trade is a bit perplexing to me unless Oakland is going to swing yet another trade before the end of the day.

But if they waited until next year to trade him they might have gotten more then a rental player. I do like that trade for both teams though.

But next year Cespedes would only be a rental, so they wouldn't have gotten as good a return.

I'm hoping the Jays trade Rasmus for some pitching. Or a second baseman. Just...something. Even if they'll be getting upgrades when EE/Lind/Lawrie come back from injury, it'd still be nice to have a little more depth.

Nafai1123

Banned
Billy's going all in for this year. If they don't win it I'm going to be so disappointed :(
Don't really get the Milone/Fuld deal. I was hoping they'd pick up another bat at 2nd/SS.

zulux21

so.... if I am the A's I think I try to pull of a 6 man rotation to keep my pitchers fresher for the playoffs... in general though, holy crap at their rotation...

I don't see the Cards doing anything. After last nights embarrassing loss, just roll with what you've got and figure it out in the offseason.
Probably the smart play. Hoping last night's embarrassment will light a fire under some asses. The team is a hot streak away from a playoff spot anyway. Just need a handful of players to reach expectations and better health. If none of those happen, it doesn't matter who we add.

Tom Caron @TomCaron

Source w/ #RedSox told me team wanted to deal Lester to "team we didn't think could re-sign him." Said Sox will make offer this off-season.
I fucking knew it. Good job laying off, Ned!

I laughed at this one. Nice try fake Rosenthal!
Source: #Dodgers send Matt Kemp, Joc Pederson + cash to #Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton

BFIB

That MLBNetwork segment was fantastic on why the Phillies are terrible.

How the fuck does Amaro still have a job!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom