• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

I second this, they need to get rid of him and Descalso as well as long as they're there Matheny will keep using them and they're just taking up a roster spot that could be used on better players.

Well, Mo showed again today that this is his team. Craig was a "Matheny guy" and now he's gone. So my guess is Descalso gets DFA'd, and Mo looks at a deal to upgrade the offense for CF.

I second this, they need to get rid of him and Descalso as well as long as they're there Matheny will keep using them and they're just taking up a roster spot that could be used on better players.
Jay has been good; why move him?

I'll miss Craig (and Torty) but if it means more playing time for Oscar, so be it.

Will also miss Kelly - he's quite a character. Can't believe nobody has posted lackeyfuck.gif yet.

RGVNOE

Well, Mo showed again today that this is his team. Craig was a "Matheny guy" and now he's gone. So my guess is Descalso gets DFA'd, and Mo looks at a deal to upgrade the offense for CF.

I hope he would do both, but he he at least DFA'd Descalso it would be good that guy is pretty much an automatic out every time he's at the plate, and he's not a good defensive player either, so he's just taking up a spot that could benefit another player who could be a better impact off the bench.

Opiate

I don't mind the trade for Lackey. Cost controlled, cheap starter for the next 1.5 years that eats innings for a notably worse starter and an outfielder I am reasonably confident will never be worth more than 1 WAR again.

Oh fuck Lackey's option vested, I totally forgot about that. Cardinals get him at $500k next year.

Fuck you Cardinals.
And we get out of paying Craig his millions (who looks like he's toast). The money side of things looks very much favorable to the Cards.

We upgraded the middle/back of the rotation without giving up Taveras/Martinez/Miller and got more financial flexibility to boot. Can't expect much more than that.

eznark

Banned
And we get out of paying Craig his millions (who looks like he's toast). The money side of things looks very much favorable to the Cards.

We upgraded the middle/back of the rotation without giving up Taveras/Martinez/Miller and got more financial flexibility to boot. Can't expect much more than that.

Yeah, the more I looked at the contracts involved that was an awesome deal. I bet Matheny is pissed though. Sox stole his buddy.

Opiate

Yep, pretty much agree. I am not seeing this as a landslide for Boston at all. Craig looks like a beat up, below average, post-30 outfielder who is owed a fairly substantial amount of money for the next few years.

He could recover; he could. Maybe Kelly maintains his incredible LOB% for his entire career somehow. I don't think it's likely, though, and the Cardinals got significant financial flexibility in return.

Sanjuro

I don't mind the trade for Lackey. Cost controlled, cheap starter for the next 1.5 years that eats innings for a notably worse starter and an outfielder I am reasonably confident will never be worth more than 1 WAR again.

Lackey is going to cost you more money beyond this year, or nothing.

As a Cardinals fan, all you've done is get out from Craig's contract for the most part which never was going to be offensive.

Lineups out. Bourjos in CF, Taveras in RF. Descalso will do what he does best: Make sure everyone's Gatorade cups are filled in the dugout.
Nah, I'm sure we don't need him for that.

qvWy8AR.gif

jakncoke

Banned
that gif is making me laugh harder than it should really.

Pirates claim Angel Sanchez off waivers, its 2:38, in 1 hr 22 minutes this still will be our biggest move of the day. :me :/ :(

Better luck next year boys. Maybe we can have back to back .500 seasons for the first time since the 90s

aFIGurANT

Does anyone else see irony or something like that that the guy who out-pitched Wacha in game six is now playing for STL? Like personally I fucking hate his Neanderthal ass forever and yet I'm supposed to cheer for him come next week?

jakncoke

Banned
Nooooooooo at trading Price :(

I mean I get it and its the right move but it still sucks.

lol werent you the guy(i know you were because there is like no other rays fans since sylar was banned 6 years ago) that 1.5 months ago wanted to sell sell sell trade trade trade including David Price. Nothing really changed since then except you no longer going to have a top 5 pick.

Opiate

Lackey is going to cost you more money beyond this year, or nothing.

As a Cardinals fan, all you've done is get out from Craig's contract for the most part which never was going to be offensive.

What? He costs 500,000 next year. Does the contract extend beyond that? I don't see it.

zulux21

hmmm with that last hit jose abreu raised his average to .305 on the season... if he continues hitting like this (well a little slower than this he has raised his average like 20 points since the all star break lol) and Jose Altuve goes into a bit of a slump there is a legit chance he could be going for the triple crown in his rookie year o_O

He could retire. Or more likely, meet in the middle with the Cards on an extension. Still get him cheaper than FA though
I think Rosenthal tweeted that Lackey said he would honor the 500k contract with the Cards. Not sure if that's the real account though lol.

Even so, I think a 2 year extension is the most likely scenario.

BFIB

Miller to the O's. Dealing within the division. Another pending free agent for the BoSox. Collusion abound!

Sanjuro

What? He costs 500,000 next year. Does the contract extend beyond that? I don't see it.

He could honor the contract, but he has been rather deceptive in wording his reaction to it the last couple of seasons.

Best case - 500k
Worst case - No player or paying a few extra million dollars.

Doogdogg

He's already said he would honor the contract. I mean, we may sign him beyond that, but that's at the Cardinals' discretion at this point.

This is doubtful. I expect a restructure deal like 2/25M. He isn't going to pitch for peanuts.

Good PR from Lackey.

jakncoke

Banned
If a division rival gives you the best deal why wouldn't you do it? It's not like the rays are going to be good next year.

Do the yankees even have a farm system to do that though? And also giving them Price who will undoubtedly be there long term given Yankees ability to sign him to a big contract, just seems rather dumb to me

Also seems Andrew Miller to be going to the O's, so Pirates not getting anyone they been linked to ?

zychi

Banned
Do the yankees even have a farm system to do that though? And also giving them Price who will undoubtedly be there long term given Yankees ability to sign him to a big contract, just seems rather dumb to me

Also seems Andrew Miller to be going to the O's, so Pirates not getting anyone they been linked to ?

I'm guessing that Verlander would be going to the Yanks in the deal. But someone in the other thread already posted that.

Malo

Banned

The Yanks farm system by itself isn't good enough to land Price, but they could offer Gardner who is signed to a team friendly deal and Betances who is cost controlled for five more seasons after this one. Yanks could offer both of them along with Severino and Sanchez and that offer gets you Price imo. Unless Price gets traded to a big market like the Tigers or Dodgers, who could give him a market value extension now, I think he becomes a free agent after 2015 and the Yanks couild sign him outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom