• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

jakncoke

Banned
I feel like I could put together a 10 minute highlight reel of catches exactly like that for ROTY Billy. He's one of the lone bright spots in this otherwise mediocre season.

Devin Mesoraco too! Still surreal after all this time the area produced that high a draft choice and he hasnt busted out.

Edit; Sigh

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yea Devin is having a pretty good year. He started the season absolutely on fire. He's cooled down a bit since but he's still having an above average year and now that he's our #1 starting catcher he really has a chance to shine. I didn't realize he was from Punxsutawney.

edit: This game is full of impressive defensive play.

DietRob

So Votto came up lame again after taking a few ground balls before the game today. This will probably delay is rehab for another week or two. At this point is it even worth it to try to get him ready for the end of the season? Really?

The downturn on his career continues. I'm almost willing to bet he was juicing 09 - 11 dude just has no power anymore and he's a shell of his former self.

Vpd8aN2.gif
Vpd8aN2.gif
Baseball thread over on OT!
Vpd8aN2.gif
Vpd8aN2.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884912

already posted there but I want to stop before the soccer brigade shows. i'm too old to get into petty arguments with our *ahem* European Allies.

I see the Tigers also have a hot blond sideline reporter.

Pirates going to hit 2 million attendance on the year tonight. 6th time ever we hit that, our per game attendance average is 2nd best ever only bested by the opening year of PNC

huh. but remember now Baseball is on the decline and it sucks. don't forget that.

jakncoke

Banned
already posted there but I want to stop before the soccer brigade shows. i'm too old to get into petty arguments with our *ahem* European Allies.

I see the Tigers also have a hot blond sideline reporter.

huh. but remember now Baseball is on the decline and it sucks. don't forget that.

2012 and 2013 are also in the 2 million club, 2011 missed by 60k. All dat decline.

aFIGurANT

w/r/t that thread in OT, wouldn't you say that anecdotally a lot of the new wave of fans in places like Pittsburgh are from a younger cross-section of the population? It seems like the same is true in like Oakland, San Fran, maybe even LA in terms of people treating the ballpark experience like a night on the town.

St. Louis will always be a good old boy haven but it seems like many of the reinvented franchises are throwing that image away really quickly.

DietRob

Yea, I think we see with the newer stadiums that are designed as more of a 'destination' rather than just a place to go watch a baseball game. Overall I think that helps the brand of baseball reach out to the younger college aged crowd.

jakncoke

Banned
w/r/t that thread in OT, wouldn't you say that anecdotally a lot of the new wave of fans in places like Pittsburgh are from a younger cross-section of the population? It seems like the same is true in like Oakland, San Fran, maybe even LA in terms of people treating the ballpark experience like a night on the town.

St. Louis will always be a good old boy haven but it seems like many of the reinvented franchises are throwing that image away really quickly.

I dont know if I'd say if just younger people going, I see a lot of old people going. I think for Pittsburgh at least people are realizing that the ownership is now at least trying a little and the product on the field is actually fun and our future isnt relegated(for at least the next 5 years anyways) to being out of the playoff hunt by June and trading away people at the deadline for prospects.

Forget anecdotally: that thread is full of nonsense. Outside of Florida, baseball is doing just fine (and those two teams have their own unique challenges -- an abysmal stadium in the middle on nowhere in Tampa Bay, and evil incarnate owning the team in Miami). I doubt there are any stadiums that are packed with nothing but old people. Individual game TV ratings may not be phenomenal, but 1) neither are TV ratings in general, and 2) overall, it's still doing pretty well. There wouldn't be massive money being poured into RSNs and TV rights if there wasn't some return on investment. (Admittedly, there's a bubble, but when it bursts, every sport will be hit, not just baseball.)

I wish he was a Jankee.

I wouldn't be shocked if he gets traded this offseason.

aFIGurANT

I dont know if I'd say if just younger people going, I see a lot of old people going. I think for Pittsburgh at least people are realizing that the ownership is now at least trying a little and the product on the field is actually fun and our future isnt relegated(for at least the next 5 years anyways) to being out of the playoff hunt by June and trading away people at the deadline for prospects.

Yeah I feel you. I just remember that play-in game last year and the chants of "Cueto, Cueto..." It makes me feel like there is a lot more going on in terms of crowd investment than makes a bar graph.

Sealion88

Kevin Long needs to go after this year. Need to find a real coach who can teach players how to bunt when the whole left side is open.

Sealion88

Only way to stop all the shifting. Surprised more teams dont.

It is pretty ridiculous. You can basically have someone on base and the possibility of screwing up the pitcher pitching from the stretch. Instead, this so called batter's integrity has cause nothing but dumb outs sometime.

DietRob

Really bad decision by Phillips looked like he was almost falling all the way home. Least we got 1.

Parch

If a batter can't learn how to slap bunt to counter a shift then they're not much of a professional. Continually hitting into a shift isn't going help their numbers.

DietRob

Now I'm just waiting for McClutch to come up and hit a walk off HR because that's just what happens in these games.

Top Bottom