• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

There is a rule against take out slides, but under the current rules the runner only has to make a "reasonable attempt" to slide to the base, which is what Utley did.

This is a takeout slide under the old rules.

There's a rule against it, but it never gets called.

I can't imagine the rule doesn't get changed after all the high-profile incidents this year. Make it consistent with the home plate rule so that intentionally colliding with the fielder is illegal.

LJ11

Let's not forget this one:

MNvh0ez.gif

Pretty much nearly flew over the entire bag.
Hey, but at least he touched it....lol

zychi

Banned
What is the purpose of allowing baserunners to intentionally injure fielders at 2nd base, as has already happened multiple times this year? It's really weird how an obvious rules loophole(he's technically sliding for 2nd even though he's blatantly just trying to take out a guy's knees!) somehow became an integral part of baseball.

His SS led him terribly, and Tejada had to spin. He was on the complete wrong side of the bag for that DP. That's on the SS and the 2b. No spin, no injury. He hops over Utley.

You may as well ask them to take sliding out of the game entirely. Or make double plays illegal.

His SS led him terribly, and Tejada had to spin. He was on the complete wrong side of the bag for that DP. That's on the SS and the 2b. No spin, no injury. He hops over Utley.

You may as well ask them to take sliding out of the game entirely. Or make double plays illegal.

MLB already removed slides into catcher.

Choomp

Banned
Well, Tejada's effed up. Hope you're happy Dodgers.

Leave it to Victorino to think something like that shows toughness. This game is a black eye on what's been a great postseason besides.

zychi

Banned
Stop talking. MLB already removed slides into catcher.

No they didnt? They made the catcher move so he's out of position, and then changed that rule again because it was terrible. You should probably watch more baseball and see that there have been slides at home just in the past week alone.

You should stop talking.

Maxim726X

it looked like he was. I was wrong. I can admit when I'm wrong, even if other people here can't.

You know guys get injured on clean plays, when there was no ill intent, right?

Former players chiming in, saying it was dirty.

You sure you've ever seen a double play broken up before? Doesn't look likely.

Former players chiming in, saying it was dirty.

You sure you've ever seen a double play broken up before? Doesn't look likely.

And others saying it wasn't. What now?

And yeah, I've played a ton of baseball and watched it for well over 20 years. Are we comparing credentials now? Have you ever seen it before?

Yes. But it wasn't clean and there was ill intent. That's probably the biggest difference
Wow dude, I didn't know you could read thoughts like that. Pretty cool skill!

Branduil

The purpose of sliding should be to avoid tags, not to smash into defenseless players.

I mean seriously, even in the NFL hits like the MLB allows at 2nd base would be illegal.

Raziel

Hundreds of turned double plays and that is the first in a while where the runner intentionally went for the knee/didn't attempt to touch the bag.

That's the first double break up attempt where the player didn't attempt to touch the bag? You can't be serious.

No they didnt? They made the catcher move so he's out of position, and then changed that rule again because it was terrible. You should probably watch more baseball and see that there have been slides at home just in the past week alone.

You should stop talking.

If you had watched the Rangers games at all you would have seen Odor has mastered the slide around the catcher. But whatever.

zychi

Banned
The purpose of sliding should be to avoid tags, not to smash into defenseless players.

I mean seriously, even in the NFL hits like the MLB allows at 2nd base would be illegal.

This isnt the NFL. This is baseball. The object of the runner on that play is to disrupt the double play so they dont turn 2 while being able to reach the bag. The rules states he has to be withiin arms reach of the bag, and sliding parallel, both things he did. Tejada fucked up by going pass 2b when he should have stayed on the first base side of the bag. That's a terrible defensive play by he and the SS.

I'm also rooting for the Mets in this series, so dont give me any homer/you're rooting for the Dodgers crap. It was clean based on the rules, and the defenders screwed themselves.

LJ11

This isnt the NFL. This is baseball. The object of the runner on that play is to disrupt the double play so they dont turn 2 while being able to reach the bag. The rules states he has to be withiin arms reach of the bag, and sliding parallel, both things he did. Tejada fucked up by going pass 2b when he should have stayed on the first base side of the bag. That's a terrible defensive play by he and the SS.

I'm also rooting for the Mets in this series, so dont give me any homer/you're rooting for the Dodgers crap. It was clean based on the rules, and the defenders screwed themselves.
Tejada is the shortstop.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Well, I predicted the Mets would win in 4, so...

Congrats, DodgersGAF. You should be thanking your lucky stars the umps giftwrapped Game 2 for you.

Fuck the umps and fuck Chase Utley.

Well, I predicted the Mets would win in 4, so...

Congrats, DodgersGAF. You should be thanking your lucky stars the umps giftwrapped Game 2 for you.

Fuck the umps and fuck Chase Utley.

Yes Dodgers fans will surely be kissing their lucky rule books tonight.

Salt shortage in San Francisco and New York tonight. Stay safe out there GAF.

Yes Dodgers fans will surely be kissing their lucky rule books tonight.

Salt shortage in San Francisco and New York tonight. Stay safe out there GAF.

Why are you acting like you're on a high horse when the rule is clearly arbitrary. They ruled the play one way when they very easily could have ruled it another. The rule can be interpreted a myriad of ways, the called it a force because of the action of the slide when in reality it was a neighborhood play that never got to play out because of an illegal slide.

The rule is tentative at BEST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom