• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choomp

Banned
"I call that Ding-Dong Johnson"

Jesus Christ Pedro, lol

Lol what? Pedro still the man

As much as that pissed me off this series is still extremely entertaining and will be very interesting going forward. Being able to watch the Mets in the playoffs has been a delight ]as an idea alone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No pressure, Harvey.

vWS0tr5.jpg

I get your point, and Utley has a history, but what he did was within the rules. His hand is within reach of the bag he's not 10 feet to the right like that picture you quoted shows. He didnt break the rule this time, if Tejada touches the bag, this might be a totally different discussion.
When someone pulls the "well technically it..." defense you know that person is likely on the wrong side of the argument

Caja 117

Baseball used to be a sport where black players were banned and pitchers were allowed to cover the ball in mud, spit, and tobacco. Pretty sure that banning takeout slides will not be the crossed line that changes baseball into puffball.

so basically is there is a infield ground ball with people on base it should be an automatic DP then? Because any effort that the 2nd baseman will need is reduced greatly. So yeah taking something like slides to break up DP are the type of things that should stay

Syrinx

If Harvey dominates on Monday I will be willing to forgive many if not all of his bullshit the last month or so.

Now to leave this thread in the hopes of stabilizing my blood pressure.

zychi

Banned
When someone pulls the "well technically it..." defense you know that person is likely on the wrong side of the argument

I didnt pull that?

When someone uses the "you used the well technically argument" you know they're actually wrong and have nothing left because the rules actually prove it right.

But hey, you're name is literally NYCmetsfan, I wonder where your bias is.

Sanjuro

It's not the most egregious thing I've seen. The unfortunate outcome is kind of the issue here. Still doesn't make a lot of sense when MLB has taken the additional steps of reducing the catcher interference.

zychi

Banned
It's not the most egregious thing I've seen. The unfortunate outcome is kind of the issue here. Still doesn't make a lot of sense when MLB has taken the additional steps of reducing the catcher interference.

Just have them play a video game version of baseball. No injuries, No sliding, no terrible defensive play, turn double plays off in the setting menu.

Problems solved!

I didnt pull that?

When someone uses the "you used the well technically argument" you know they're actually wrong and have nothing left because the rules actually prove it right.

But hey, you're name is literally NYCmetsfan, I wonder where your bias is.
I'm not hiding a bias. I'm a mets fan. But the "well the rules" always rubs me the wrong way. It keeps people from owning their opinions.

Branduil

so basically is there is a infield ground ball with people on base it should be an automatic DP then? Because any effort that the 2nd baseman will need is reduced greatly. So yeah taking something like slides to break up DP are the type of things that should stay

You still have to make the throw to 1st. It's not like errors never happen.

Sanjuro

Just have them play a video game version of baseball. No injuries, No sliding, no terrible defensive play, turn double plays off in the setting menu.

Problems solved!

There are plenty of injuries to go around outside purposeful ones. Especially when there are already rules in place for the fielder to protect themselves. The baserunning just negates this.

zychi

Banned
I'm not hiding a bias. I'm a mets fan. But the "well the rules" always rubs me the wrong way. It keeps people from owning their opinions.

You should go back and read the last two pages. I'm clearly owning my opinion. I'm also rooting for your Mets to win this series.

Problems solved!

What?

iu

Upton is right. If that was Tulo or DJ and they turned that DP, there would be a rule in effect the next game.

But on to the next one. We'll win in NY.

My hate for Chase Utley is and will remain justified.

Caja 117

You still have to make the throw to 1st. It's not like errors never happen.

Greatly reduced, most error happens on DP when the runner to 2nd disrupt the trow, listen Utley shit i can agree that should be revised, but sliding directly to the base? That could lead to a slipery sloppe and you end up all sliding banned from Baseball.

Branduil

Greatly reduced, most error happens on DP when the runner to 2nd disrupt the trow, listen Utley shit i can agree that should be revised, but sliding directly to the base? That could lead to a slipery sloppe and you end up all sliding banned from Baseball.

They got rid of home plate collisions and sliding still exists. It's just around the catcher instead of into him.

As long as tag plays still exist, so will sliding. But force-outs at 2nd aren't tag plays so they're pretty pointless there unless the point is to give incentive to take out players' knees.

Josh5890

Look, I don't care about the immediate result of the play. To me the fact is that a young guy was injured on a very avoidable play. I am a baseball traditionalist with probably 99% of the game but there needs to be a Tejada rule like the Posey rule. There can be a fine line with breaking up a double play and taking out the runner.

Caja 117

They got rid of home plate collisions and sliding still exists. It's just around the catcher instead of into him.

As long as tag plays still exist, so will sliding. But force-outs at 2nd aren't tag plays so they're pretty pointless there unless the point is to give incentive to take out players' knees.

And with tag plays you can also injure players, and after you take sliding on forceouts, how long until someone gets injured on hard tag slides and start screaming for rule change as well?

The point of breaking DP is not to take out player knees, what type of baseball you been playing for 20 years?

If there was one game I want Harvey to live up to his Roger Clemens comparison, its on Monday.

be a mediocre post-season pitcher most of his career until?
kidding, kidding he was good

except he didn't?

I mean it's a legal play. it's not nice or sporting but it is hard and it's what's called for in the situation. Utley has a history but I'm not sure it counts int his instance.

Caja 117

As much as I love Pedro, he should be the last person talking about teaching players stuff, when he was beaning players in his pitching years.

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 11m11 minutes ago

Torre says Arizona Fall League will require players to slide directly into bag, not at fielder. An experiment, like pitch clocks.
Interesting. Of course the only Dodger game I watch in months if the most controversial.

Lol. Alanna Rizzo got totally fucking killed on Twitter over that Tweet and deleted it.

"Can we agree that it was just a clean, hard baseball play?"

Igo

So you understand the how the play works, but dont understand why its a bad defensive play to turn your back to a runner?

He turns his back AFTER attempting to touch the bag and seeing Utley coming.

Its a shame he got hurt, but its a clean play based on the rules.

How do you fix that? No sliding on double plays? Then we run into players trying to jump in front of the ball.

No double plays allowed?

And the analysts are saying the exact same thing.

"You never turn your back to a runner"
Where Tejada is pointed isn't a problem if Utley doesn't fly over the bag to take him out.

Why would you prioritize allowing dudes to purposely collide with opponents over awesome defensive plays?

Branduil

Actual intent to injure is fairly irrelevant. It's reckless disregard for the other player's health regardless. An honest answer would be something like "I honestly didn't care if he got hurt or not. The rules give me incentive to take out a player's knees so I'm going to keep doing that as long as it's legal and not care what happens to the fielder."

Nobody is saying you have to slide directly to the base, but you should at least show a conscious effort that you're trying to reach the base, not just take out a guys legs.

Jarate

Banned
Actual intent to injure is fairly irrelevant. It's reckless disregard for the other player's health regardless. An honest answer would be something like "I honestly didn't care if he got hurt or not. The rules give me incentive to take out a player's knees so I'm going to keep doing that as long as it's legal and not care what happens to the fielder."

Welcome to sports, where you literally do everything within the rules to win games

Utley was clearly trying to break up a possible double play, it's something that every baseball fan has seen. A lot of players do stuff like that.

Its obvious the rule needs to be changed, but this witch hunt for Utley looks like a bunch of people who don't watch baseball outside of the playoffs getting mad at a player who is doing his job

kingocfs

To me, the bigger issue is what did the umpires see to convince them to overturn an out call in the first place? The evidence just isn't conclusive, IMO.

Instant replay already changed it a lot. The neighborhood play is a big one, with the addition of instant replay fielders have to try harder to touch the base, making them more vulnerable then ever before to pure take-out slides that don't even attempt to touch the base.
I thought a neighborhood play at second was one of the things umps were going to be lenient on when reviewing a play due to safety in cases like this? Guess not, since Utley was ruled safe even though Tejeda's foot was like 1 cm from the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom