• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

I thought a neighborhood play at second was one of the things umps were going to be lenient on when reviewing a play due to safety in cases like this? Guess not, since Utley was ruled safe even though Tejeda's foot was like 1 cm from the bag.

The neighborhood play didn't factor into this play.

I thought a neighborhood play at second was one of the things umps were going to be lenient on when reviewing a play due to safety in cases like this? Guess not, since Utley was ruled safe even though Tejeda's foot was like 1 cm from the bag.

LIS when it keeps being mentioned that it's "the rule". It's not. The rule is totally arbitrary and left to the discretion of the umps when it shouldn't be in cases like this when it's blindingly obvious, that's a fault of the MLB and it's shit-tastic enforcement.

zychi

Banned
To me, the bigger issue is what did the umpires see to convince them to overturn an out call in the first place? The evidence just isn't conclusive, IMO.

His foot didnt touch the bag. They've shown that replay 100 times since it happened.

But then you have the issue of the "neighborhood play"

Which brings me back to, its a bad defensive play by the two players and Tejada having his back to the runner was idiotic.

It's bad all around.

The play was not a reviewable play according to the rule book. It was a force play.

Utley didn't touch the bag, neither did Tejada. Utley however got up after the collision, making no attempt to touch the bag, and jogged to the dugout. Tejada after the play did not drop the ball, which was when the ump called the out.

Since those plays are not reviewable according to MLB Rules, the proper call should've been an out, unchallenged.

The play was not a reviewable play according to the rule book. It was a force play.

Utley didn't touch the bag, neither did Tejada. Utley however got up after the collision, making no attempt to touch the bag, and jogged to the dugout. Tejada after the play did not drop the ball, which was when the ump called the out.

Since those plays are not reviewable according to MLB Rules, the proper call should've been an out, unchallenged.

The umpire called Utley out erroneously, which is why he left the field. Him leaving the field has nothing to do with anything if the call was erroneous.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder if MLB will allow Utley to play in metal armor in Game 3, because someone is coming for him, either a runner or a fastball.

KHr4cEq.png

Ilive1up

The umpire called Utley out erroneously, which is why he left the field. Him leaving the field has nothing to do with anything if the call was erroneous.

erroneously? utley got up and left the field. he went in there knowing he'd be out and was called safe.

he's a bitch. the end.

erroneously? utley got up and left the field. he went in there knowing he'd be out and was called safe.

he's a bitch. the end.

Yes, erroneously.

He got up and left the field only because the ump originally made the wrong call.

Are you saying players should just argue with umps over every call?

How could anyone expect him to try and attempt a throw when he was taken out by a tackle?

Reasonable extrapolation will show you that he would have thrown had his leg not been broken. So obviously the runner was either A) Trying to intentionally and blatantly break up a neighborhood play and thus, out. Or B) It's a force out because of contact at the plate.

Either way.

ISOM

When you act in a reckless way, you intend to hurt somebody. So, you're wrong, Mensa.

I saw a similar play midway through the season where a runner stuck out his leg and tripped a guy. I thought it was dirty then but most seemed to be ok with it. Either you eliminate it altogether or don't complain about it.

Yeah, I mean the catcher is totally going to run across the center of the diamond to make a catch, see the runner, touch home, turn his back to the runner, and then try and throw to first.

Totally the same as sliding into second.

Irrelevant. The rule was instigated to protect the welfare of the players.

e: realize you're a guy with a Mets avatar. nvm

Awwwwwwwww.... doesn't want to continue the conversation because i support the Mets.
I feel so hurt.

prag16

Banned
The fuck am I reading. There are people here who claim to have no horse in the race that truly think justice was done here? I've seen it all.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Clearly the only people that can discuss the play are non-mets fans and NFL fans (since they know a thing or two about tackles).

The fuck am I reading. There are people here who claim to have no horse in the race that truly think justice was done here? I've seen it all.
Those are invariably one of three people:
(1) Those who think old school baseball is cool but in reality are closeted NFL fans
(2) Those who are butthurt about losing to the Astros in the Wild Card Playoff game
(3) Those who are still salty because their team finished last in the AL East.

zychi

Banned
Clearly the only people that can discuss the play are non-mets fans and NFL fans (since they know a thing or two about tackles).

Or Mets fans can continue to post twitter feeds from "outraged players" and "broadcasters" who have a connection to the team like they don't have a horse in the race.

If Utley plays another game in this series he may as well just stand in the middle of the plate with his back turned. Everyone know's what's going to happen and if a Mets pitcher gets ejected for it there'll be even more outrage.

If Utley plays another game in this series he may as well just stand in the middle of the plate with his back turned. Everyone know's what's going to happen and if a Mets pitcher gets ejected for it there'll be even more outrage.

If the Mets are dumb enough to throw at him, their pitcher should be ejected. You know they're going to be warned before the game.

cashman

Banned
How could anyone expect him to try and attempt a throw when he was taken out by a tackle?

That's not really the point. If he doesn't attempt the double play then he can't be awarded the neighborhood play. You can't assume the double play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom