• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Is there any more to the story about the Mets fan that was physically attacked by Dodger fans?

No, because the American media is too busy scolding Canadians for tossing a beer can.

There should be no defense for the idiots and I don't see why anyone would want to defend them. Must be some fans that went to their first game.

That being said the mass majority of fans threw nothing on the field.

I know the mass majority of fans threw nothing on the field. Let's estimate a thousand pieces of trash were thrown on the field last night (and that's a pessimistic estimate, it was probably way less but MLB doesn't have a stat for it yet). The attendance was 49 000. That's less than one percent.

Obviously the mass majority of fans threw nothing. The mass majority of people criticizing the actions of the crowd last night know this. Again, why do people feel the need to add that little asterisk at the end of whatever point they are making?

zroid

Banned
Uh, okay...

2015 Volquez
2.6 WAR
4.26 xFIP

2015 Estrada
1.8 WAR
4.93 xFIP

Using FIP and fWAR to encapsulate Estrada's season is highly dubious imo. He has been very good. Volquez has been good too. Should be a nice game.

edit: I mean, aside from the fact that Volquez and Donaldson might get into a fist fight at some point

Is there any more to the story about the Mets fan that was physically attacked by Dodger fans?

No, because the American media is too busy scolding Canadians for tossing a beer can.

Such persecution. Much complex.

Yeah, just a few articles. From, you know, everywhere.

LA Times Dodger Stadium fight: 'You heard his skull hitting the concrete,' witness says

NY Daily News Authorities searching for mother, son in connection to brutal beating of Mets fan outside Dodger Stadium

Sporting News Mother, son sought in Dodger Stadium fight that left Mets fan critically injured

3N16MA

Banned
I know the mass majority of fans threw nothing on the field. Let's estimate a thousand pieces of trash were thrown on the field last night (and that's a pessimistic estimate, it was probably way less but MLB doesn't have a stat for it yet). The attendance was 49 000. That's less than one percent.

Obviously the mass majority of fans threw nothing. The mass majority of people criticizing the actions of the crowd last night know this. Again, why do people feel the need to add that little asterisk at the end of whatever point they are making?

I bet there are plenty who view this incident with a broad stroke instead of focusing on the minority. I'm pointing out that the majority of people who did nothing should not be grouped in with the rest.

Those fans who threw shit on the field are idiots.

End of story.

squall211

Why?

Because Terry Collins is awful and needs to go.

I'm glad he's satisfied with having made it to the playoffs and thinks a win would be a nice extra. But that's a crappy attitude to have.

I don't give a crap if the Mets are outgunned in game 5. If I'm the manager, I want to win all the time, every time, and I'm not satisfied just showing up.

Maybe he shouldn't have made the statement, but the fact is that unless the Mets have a late lead and blow the game in the 8th or 9th inning, it absolutely will be gravy if they move on.

There are very few of us Met fans who could honestly say at the beginning of the season that we were sure the Mets would make it to an NLDS Game 5 situation. And if we were told in mid-March that this is the situation we'd be in on October 15th, we'd have signed up for it in a heartbeat.

Again, barring a late inning meltdown, I will absolutely be satisfied with how far the Mets made it this season. They are facing two of the top three pitchers in baseball four times in a five game series.

I hope the Mets can somehow pull it off, but I'm not going to lose my shit over a possible loss tonight if they simply get outplayed. Regardless of the outcome tonight, it's been a lot of fun rooting for this team in 2015.

3N16MA

Banned
Using FIP and fWAR to encapsulate Estrada's season is highly dubious imo. He has been very good. Volquez has been good too. Should be a nice game.

edit: I mean, aside from the fact that Volquez and Donaldson might get into a fist fight at some point

Estrada's ERA was bellow his FIP by a good amount this season. I doubt he is a low 3 ERA pitcher going forward if he continues to pitch the way he has in 2015.

He is not going to have a LOB% approaching 80% or continue to have career lows in LD%. He was right at league average before this season and once he regresses back to that rate his ERA will climb.

mdubs

Banned
303577e95f.png

dce90d3e14.jpg

Hahaha

In other news, Ken Rosenthal thinks the Blue Jays should have to forfeit future games if this happens again. Such outrage.

MC Safety

Maybe he shouldn't have made the statement, but the fact is that unless the Mets have a late lead and blow the game in the 8th or 9th inning, it absolutely will be gravy if they move on.

There are very few of us Met fans who could honestly say at the beginning of the season that we were sure the Mets would make it to an NLDS Game 5 situation. And if we were told in mid-March that this is the situation we'd be in on October 15th, we'd have signed up for it in a heartbeat.

Again, barring a late inning meltdown, I will absolutely be satisfied with how far the Mets made it this season. They are facing two of the top three pitchers in baseball four times in a five game series.

I hope the Mets can somehow pull it off, but I'm not going to lose my shit over a possible loss tonight if they simply get outplayed. Regardless of the outcome tonight, it's been a lot of fun rooting for this team in 2015.

Great. That doesn't change the fact that Collins is a mediocre manager at best, has had his run, and is now happy with just showing up.

Just watched the Kevin Pillar Show. It was interesting to hear him talk about some of his amazing catches, and you can see how much the support/becoming a fan favourite means to him.

He got emotional a couple of times.

Seems like a great guy.

zroid

Banned
Just watched the Kevin Pillar Show. It was interesting to hear him talk about some of his amazing catches, and you can see how much the support/becoming a fan favourite means to him.

He got emotional a couple of times.

Seems like a great guy.

It's such a bummer that OF gold gloves are awarded for each position now. He's had a season entirely deserving of one but it's going to go to Kiermaier instead.

If he had stayed in LF for the whole season he'd probably win it.

Terry is a crap in game manager, BUT, this team will run through brick walls for him, if you talk to the team to a man they'll say they love the guy.

rinse82

The City of Toronto does not need to be lectured - I don't think the 0.5% of people that threw cans should be a reflection on an entire fanbase. Those idiots have always existed at the Rogers Centre - can't remember a home opener when this type of stupidity didnt exist; obviously not to this extent considering the circumstances and what was on the line.

Don't need Ken Rosenthal to say tsk tsk Toronto. I think what happened yesterday was an extreme situation that was exasberated by the fact that the umpires handled it poorly. No one there has the luxury of listening to commentary explaining what's going on and that the rule was being enforced properly.

Again, none of this justifies any of the actions yesterday but the morality police needs to chill out.

mdubs

Banned
Fans are always going to go insane when umpires do dumb shit.

Remember the Infield Fly Rule call between Braves/Cardinals?

153463892.jpg

American media is just looking for an excuse to jump on the Jays, what do you expect.

I can't wait to see all the crying if the upcoming series has as much bad blood as the last time we faced KC

Line_HTX

My hangover is slowly going away...

Sam Dyson is straight up stupid riding on his high horse on "respect for the game." Jose Bautista's bat flip was appropriate and JUSTIFIED, and it was entertaining to watch, as it brought hype into baseball that I haven't felt in 10 years. As previous gifs shown, other people in Korean leagues and Japanese leagues do it, why can't Bautista?

His reasoning is the reason ratings are down and no new people, even kids aren't getting into baseball to begin with. You weren't being shown up, genius.

So glad Toronto advanced and not tomfoolery like Dyson. A shit pitcher like him is not bringing in hype. Fucking varmint.

squall211

My hangover is slowly going away...

Sam Dyson is straight up stupid riding on his high horse on "respect for the game." Jose Bautista's bat flip was appropriate and JUSTIFIED, and it was entertaining to watch, as it brought hype into baseball that I haven't felt in 10 years. As previous gifs shown, other people in Korean leagues and Japanese leagues do it, why can't Bautista?

His reasoning is the reason ratings are down and no new people, even kids aren't getting into baseball to begin with. You weren't being shown up, genius.

So glad Toronto advanced and not tomfoolery like Dyson. A shit pitcher like him is not bringing in hype. Fucking varmint.

I still can't believe how salty people are over Bautista.

If this was a game in mid-June I'd totally get the outrage.

But in a series deciding game where your team lost the first two in a best-of-five and 45 minutes of nonstop crazy shit just happened? I would HOPE he'd show some emotion after hitting that blast.

Line_HTX

The last time the Leafs won a series I was so pissed that Ottawa lost in Game 7 after winning double OT in Game 6 in that year's 1st Round. Leafs are so obnoxious. Blue Jays are much more appealing to the eyes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Bautista's bat flip will be like the Ultey slide. Either you think it was right or that it was wrong.

You aren't going to change the minds of those that think he was a douche for it. And they are not going to change your minds. So I don't see the point in arguing over it.

devilhawk

It's such a bummer that OF gold gloves are awarded for each position now. He's had a season entirely deserving of one but it's going to go to Kiermaier instead.

If he had stayed in LF for the whole season he'd probably win it.
Left field gold glove? Hahaha

zychi

Banned
The Bautista's bat flip will be like the Ultey slide. Either you think it was right or that it was wrong.

You aren't going to change the minds of those that think he was a douche for it. And they are not going to change your minds. So I don't see the point in arguing over it.
Bat flips have no barring on the game. Injuring a player with what was a "legal slide" does.

You dont get suspended for flipping a bat after a hr. Just like you dont get suspended for yelling into your mitt, fist pumping, and pointing to the sky after a big strikeout as a pitcher

Brinbe

If anyone cares, I uploaded a vid from the 7th inning yesterday. Please don't my awful annoying commentary lol
https://youtu.be/O4amqcTku48
It was the most insane thing I've ever seen live at a game. The ticket wasn't cheap but it was worth it to witness sporting history.

And as for bat flips. Ortiz at the wbc>>>>

Line_HTX

If anyone cares, I uploaded a vid from the 7th inning yesterday. Please don't my awful annoying commentary lol
https://youtu.be/O4amqcTku48
It was the most insane thing I've ever seen live at a game. The ticket wasn't cheap but it was worth it to witness sporting history.

And as for bat flips. Ortiz at the wbc>>>>

OMG, you're so annoying!

J/K Nice seats you got there. I'm sure it was insane witnessing there in the Stadium.

Yeap, there's not enough David Ortiz rage gif with his bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom