• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Congrats on the win, Houston. You earned it.
Get ready to lose to KC though. Nothing stops the Royals/Jays ALCS train

while I want houston to win it as it's the 10 year anniversary of them losing it to the white sox and I wanted a version of the 2005 world series in some way... I don't think they will. Their team is a bit to much all or nothing with offense and if they have a small slump with that at all they are done. AKA it will take a ton of luck for them to win it instead of the usual lots of luck it requires of teams :p

Miguel

while I want houston to win it as it's the 10 year anniversary of them losing it to the white sox and I wanted a version of the 2005 world series in some way... I don't think they will. Their team is a bit to much all or nothing with offense and if they have a small slump with that at all they are done. AKA it will take a ton of luck for them to win it instead of the usual lots of luck it requires of teams :p

The pitching (and having the possibility to line up Keuchel to pitch 3 games in the ALCS) really helps mitigate any slump. (as it did all season)

Although, the bullpen can negate both of those in a heartbeat.

Like I imagined, record set for WC game.

From sportatvratings.com
"Yankees-Astros on ESPN Delivers Highest-Rated MLB Wild Card Game Ever

Record Audience for MLB Game on WatchESPN

ESPN’s American League Wild Card telecast presented by Hankook Tires– the Houston Astros defeated the New York Yankees 3-0 – delivered a 5.7 overnight rating, making it the highest-rated MLB Wild Card Game ever and the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in 12 years. Additionally, it generated the largest audience for an MLB game ever on WatchESPN, setting records across metrics, including 445,000 unique viewers, an average minute audience of 127,000 viewers, and 25.7 million total minutes viewed across devices.

AL Wild Card on ESPN highlights:

Up 50 percent from the 2014 AL Wild Card Game (Kansas City vs. Oakland, 3.8);

Up 39 percent from last year’s NL Wild Card Game on ESPN (San Francisco vs. Pittsburgh, 4.1);

Matched the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in 12 years (Braves vs. Cubs, ALDS, 10/3/03);
Peaked with a 6.4 rating from 10-10:15 p.m. ET;

Generated a 14.8 rating in the Houston, making it the highest-rated MLB game ever on ESPN in the market. It drew a 12.0 rating in New York, making it the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in the market since 2012.

AL Wild Card on WatchESPN highlights:

The 445,000 unique viewers on WatchESPN was up 136 percent from last year’s NL Wild Card Game;
Last night’s average minute audience – 127,000 – was up 161 percent from the 2014 NL Wild Card Game on WatchESPN;
Last night’s 25.7 million minutes viewed for the AL Wild Card Game was up 159 percent from the NL Wild Card Game on WatchESPN last year.
Additional ESPN coverage notes:

Jessica Mendoza made history during ESPN’s AL Wild Card telecast by becoming the first female analyst for a nationally televised MLB playoff game. After the game, her scorecard was collected for inclusion to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. She called the game alongside Dan Shulman, John Kruk and Buster Olney with Tampa Bay Rays star Chris Archer contributing.

ESPN Radio is documenting every pitch of the 2015 MLB Postseason, which continues with the National League Wild Card Game – Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates – Wednesday, Oct. 7, at 8 p.m. ET. Jon Sciambi and analyst Chris Singleton will describe the action."

Like I imagined, record set for WC game.

From sportatvratings.com
"Yankees-Astros on ESPN Delivers Highest-Rated MLB Wild Card Game Ever

Record Audience for MLB Game on WatchESPN

ESPN’s American League Wild Card telecast presented by Hankook Tires– the Houston Astros defeated the New York Yankees 3-0 – delivered a 5.7 overnight rating, making it the highest-rated MLB Wild Card Game ever and the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in 12 years. Additionally, it generated the largest audience for an MLB game ever on WatchESPN, setting records across metrics, including 445,000 unique viewers, an average minute audience of 127,000 viewers, and 25.7 million total minutes viewed across devices.

AL Wild Card on ESPN highlights:

Up 50 percent from the 2014 AL Wild Card Game (Kansas City vs. Oakland, 3.8);

Up 39 percent from last year’s NL Wild Card Game on ESPN (San Francisco vs. Pittsburgh, 4.1);

Matched the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in 12 years (Braves vs. Cubs, ALDS, 10/3/03);
Peaked with a 6.4 rating from 10-10:15 p.m. ET;

Generated a 14.8 rating in the Houston, making it the highest-rated MLB game ever on ESPN in the market. It drew a 12.0 rating in New York, making it the highest-rated MLB game on ESPN in the market since 2012.

AL Wild Card on WatchESPN highlights:

The 445,000 unique viewers on WatchESPN was up 136 percent from last year’s NL Wild Card Game;
Last night’s average minute audience – 127,000 – was up 161 percent from the 2014 NL Wild Card Game on WatchESPN;
Last night’s 25.7 million minutes viewed for the AL Wild Card Game was up 159 percent from the NL Wild Card Game on WatchESPN last year.
Additional ESPN coverage notes:

Jessica Mendoza made history during ESPN’s AL Wild Card telecast by becoming the first female analyst for a nationally televised MLB playoff game. After the game, her scorecard was collected for inclusion to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. She called the game alongside Dan Shulman, John Kruk and Buster Olney with Tampa Bay Rays star Chris Archer contributing.

ESPN Radio is documenting every pitch of the 2015 MLB Postseason, which continues with the National League Wild Card Game – Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates – Wednesday, Oct. 7, at 8 p.m. ET. Jon Sciambi and analyst Chris Singleton will describe the action."

This makes me extremely happy. Would love to see a female manager one day.

Goofy shit from reddit and twitter:

Bat-flips Galore:
1006_hounyy_rasmus_bat_flip_lo_cdjgn0sp.gif

why it's hilarious it was right in front of McCann:
7KbvlmX.gif

Best middle infield celebration in the majors:
1006_hounyy_altuve_correa_lo_flhcngwk.gif

This is just cruel:
eYmWV0e.jpg

Clubhouse Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvGIQ1kSph4

Homerun celebration:
https://vine.co/v/e22aUAEiKPH

Yankee stadium boards before/after the Astros' second home run:

Sorry yanks fans. You'll be back next year, though, as you always seem to be.

Any gaffers bet on games here? I'm taking +135 on the run line for Chicago. I'm thinking the Cubs can win by 2 runs with Arrieta out there, final score will probably be 2 - 0.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Best middle infield celebration in the majors:
http://m.mlb.com/images/6/1/2/153534612/1006_hounyy_altuve_correa_lo_flhcngwk.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Meh, average by postseason standards. I know the Astros haven't been in the playoffs for a while, but I bet even Houston had similar if not better showings in the last 15 years.

thefro

I can only hope.

Have you been to Wrigley in the playoffs? Its all corporate functions and rich guys bringing their mistresses. The real fans got priced out years ago.

No one chants, half the people dont realize theyre at a sporting event. Its horrible.

I've been to the playoffs at Wrigley in 98 & 07 and can tell you it was pretty nuts both times.

Maybe it's different in the super-expensive seats behind the plate, but the upper deck & bleachers were both amped up.

Caja 117

Late, but just congrats to the Astros on clinching, as Expected from Dallas, nothing short of a gem, personally I didn't watch the game, as I basically predicted the score (well I predicted a 3-1 lost) and made some money out of this game.

About the Yanks, sight, Im not upset about this,rather disappointed on how things ended: first this team had a lot of question marks on the beginning of the season, and through 100 games or so played very good baseball, but, after Eovaldi and Tex went down, this team was not the same, I could argue that AROD numbers could had been affected by the lack of protection on having Tex batting after him, Jacoby also wasn't the same after he returned from the DL, Tanaka is still suspect with that "doesnt need TJ" elbow, and the bullpen was shakky down the stretch (Betances was overworked IMO)

I could say that overall the law of average caught up with a Yankee team that had a great start, and ended in one off the most frustrating display of baseball you could see, You can basically call it a meltdown. but that was just the numbers adjusting the Yanks to the reality of the talent they have.

The only thing that really bothers me in all of this is the Management not showing a sense of urgency, stuff like Girardi saying things like "We are not worried about the Jays", the character of the Yankees after the Jays caught up to them was a defeated mentality. as a Yanks fan, the Angels deserved to be in this post season more than the Yanks, this was not a Playoff team.

Sorry for the long rant.

BigAT

Late, but just congrats to the Astros on clinching, as Expected from Dallas, nothing short of a gem, personally I didn't watch the game, as I basically predicted the score (well I predicted a 3-1 lost) and made some money out of this game.

About the Yanks, sight, Im not upset about this,rather disappointed on how things ended: first this team had a lot of question marks on the beginning of the season, and through 100 games or so played very good baseball, but, after Eovaldi and Tex went down, this team was not the same, I could argue that AROD numbers could had been affected by the lack of protection on having Tex batting after him, Jacoby also wasn't the same after he returned from the DL, Tanaka is still suspect with that "doesnt need TJ" elbow, and the bullpen was shakky down the stretch (Betances was overworked IMO)

I could say that overall the law of average caught up with a Yankee team that had a great start, and ended in one off the most frustrating display of baseball you could see, You can basically call it a meltdown. but that was just the numbers adjusting the Yanks to the reality of the talent they have.

The only thing that really bothers me in all of this is the Management not showing a sense of urgency, stuff like Girardi saying things like "We are not worried about the Jays", the character of the Yankees after the Jays caught up to them was a defeated mentality. as a Yanks fan, the Angels deserved to be in this post season more than the Yanks, this was not a Playoff team.

Sorry for the long rant.

You're a Yankees fan and failed to watch their game in the playoffs? WTF...

Caja 117

You're a Yankees fan and failed to watch their game in the playoffs? WTF...

Why would I watch if I knew what was going to happen? this Team had nothing left, I wasn't going to subject myself over more mediocrity, and while I followed the game from time to time on MLB app, i could tell that was the best decision, 3 hits? LMAO

BTW, a one game elimination in Baseball is not Playoff, is a joke.

Beckx

Assorted notes about the game:

• Bob Walk will throw out the first pitch & as noted above Cutch's mom will sing the national anthem.
  • Keon Broxton made the postseason roster and is active for tonight's game. Maybe a PH but more likely a PR with his speed.
  • Elias Diaz is the 3rd Catcher on the roster. How Tony Sanchez's stock has fallen.
  • Josh Harrison has the highest OPS on the team against RHP in the last 2 weeks and will probably start at third. Big question is who starts at 1st (I'll be stunned if it's not Alvarez, though I'm also willing to bet if the game is close after 5 and he's not hitting, he gets pulled).

bebop242

I can only hope.

Have you been to Wrigley in the playoffs? Its all corporate functions and rich guys bringing their mistresses. The real fans got priced out years ago.

No one chants, half the people dont realize theyre at a sporting event. Its horrible.

Playoffs in 08 and 09 where they were swept both times and had the lead like once total in the six games? No wonder the crowd wasn't into it.

zychi

Banned
Playoffs in 08 and 09 where they were swept both times and had the lead like once total in the six games? No wonder the crowd wasn't into it.

Google Dempster's quote about when someone hit a grand slam off him in the 4th. The place went dead. A real fanbase doesnt do that to their team.

Man, that is one of the best sports documentaries I've seen. Chicago did him so fucking dirty... we think we are civilized but then maybe we aren't as civilized as we think.

Mob mentality is terrible.

I always feel like I need to be careful not to fall into that trap.

bebop242

Google Dempster's quote about when someone hit a grand slam off him in the 4th. The place went dead. A real fanbase doesnt do that to their team.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=281001116

Could not find your quote, but according to this recap, Dempster walked the base loaded and gave up the bomb. Article even says there was loud cheering for Dempster to get out of the jam.

Having a two run lead, walking the bases loaded and giving up a granny to start a playoff series a year from getting swept (especially given the Cubs history) would quiet any crowd.

I however am not arguing the fact that if there is playoff baseball this year at Wrigley, it will indeed be filled with the corporate and rich.

Still will be electric there tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom