• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

eznark

Banned
It's baseball that does this. It's baseball and the owners that pulls the whole "for America" bullshit when it comes to the integrity of the sport.

It's guys like Heyman and Rosenthal who cover for Hamilton and claim he is a protected class because he has a disease and we must respect his privacy while not hesitating to publish leaked steroid reports.

It's guys like Heyman and Rosenthal who cover for Hamilton and claim he is a protected class because he has a disease and we must respect his privacy while not hesitating to publish leaked steroid reports.

They're both equally terrible in my eyes.

I've learned to not treat ballplayers or pro athletes as role models any more.

McCarthy. :| Andrew Heaney sure would be good to have right about now. Some absolutely crazy moves this offseason that are looking a little sketchy right now.

At least we're playing Joc. I say fuck it, call up Urias!
I wanna say bring up Urias but he's only 19 right? Dodgers gonna probably bring him up Sept. Also Kendrick has been great. So far we getting the better deal out of the trade

oxKUOct.png

Trevor Bauer was ready if those despicable Royals responded to another HBP. Too good.

Maybe he feels by playing baseball it'll keep him preoccupied and get his mind off it?

Maybe he signed an insane contract worth more than the combined lifetime earnings of all of MLB GAF, and he doesn't want to give the team any legal outs to paying him? As long as he is rehabbing and giving the impression that he fully intends to play ball, he's getting paid. I don't fault him one damn bit.

I never feel any sympathy for either side in these contracts. In the NFL, teams will cut players at the drop of a hat if they get hurt or fail to perform. In the NBA and MLB, players get paid riding the bench with injuries. It's all about the relative strength of the player union.

Malo

Banned
Maybe he signed an insane contract worth more than the combined lifetime earnings of all of MLB GAF, and he doesn't want to give the team any legal outs to paying him? As long as he is rehabbing and giving the impression that he fully intends to play ball, he's getting paid. I don't fault him one damn bit.

I never feel any sympathy for either side in these contracts. In the NFL, teams will cut players at the drop of a hat if they get hurt or fail to perform. In the NBA and MLB, players get paid riding the bench with injuries. It's all about the relative strength of the player union.
Well, yeah, that goes without saying. Of course he still wanted to get paid and wouldn't give the angels an out.

Maybe he feels by playing baseball it'll keep him preoccupied and get his mind off it?

Any examples of this (other than this article of course)?

A decade of archives on Halos Heaven?

Tweets like this: https://twitter.com/halosheaven/status/117459557256658944

I've avoided Halos Heaven like the plague for years because of how caustic and immature Rev Halo Fan is.

You can also read his non Halos Heaven Twitter and see that he doesn't limit himself to being awful about baseball: https://twitter.com/coagulamagazine

Fox318

Any examples of this (other than this article of course)?

And what happens when his baseball career is over or his skills falter?

I know its easy to say don't take the money or whatever but in his case he really should.

Malo

Banned
A decade of archives on Halos Heaven?

Tweets like this: https://twitter.com/halosheaven/status/117459557256658944

I've avoided Halos Heaven like the plague for years because of how caustic and immature Rev Halo Fan is.

You can also read his non Halos Heaven Twitter and see that he doesn't limit himself to being awful about baseball: https://twitter.com/coagulamagazine
Earlier today was my first time hearing of Halos Heaven. That guy is a dick.
And what happens when his baseball career is over or his skills falter?

I know its easy to say don't take the money or whatever but in his case he really should.
Maybe he gets himself checked into rehab over the off-season, I don't know, but there was no way he was going to forego the 3 years and $83MM left on his contract.

jbug617

Banned
Orioles vs White Sox will happen tomorrow at 2:05 in front of no one. The game is closed to the public.

Orioles vs Rays is moved to Tampa this weekend.

McDougles

Baltimore Orioles @Orioles
Tomorrow’s game between the Orioles and the Chicago White Sox will begin at 2:05 p.m. ET and will be closed to the public.

The Orioles will play 3-game series against Rays, scheduled for May 1-3, at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. serving as the home team
Has this ever happened before? I remember Red Sox games were canceled because of the Boston Marathon bombing, but games (closed to the public) being played?

Has this ever happened before? I remember Red Sox games were canceled because of the Boston Marathon bombing, but games (closed to the public) being played?

I recall a game being played under protest in the 80s and the protest being upheld. Whatever portion of the game was left to be played ( a couple of innings) was played with no crowd from what I remember.

I believe it was NY and KC.

I could be completely wrong though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tar_Incident

Edit: Even that had 1,200 fans.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sounds like the Orioles are going to play at TB this weekend. Still a "home" game for the Orioles, they simply have less home games than anyone else this year.

These games at the trop this weekend might be the lowest attended games ever.

Malo

Banned
I'm definitely watching that game after I get out of class tomorrow. It's going to be weird as hell seeing a game with nobody in the stands.

BFIB

Orioles vs White Sox will happen tomorrow at 2:05 in front of no one. The game is closed to the public.

Orioles vs Rays is moved to Tampa this weekend.

Oh great, so the O's don't get to play in front of fans through the weekend.

cashman

Banned
Actually I think all the things in there are accurate, including the first snort in a tittie bar thing. So while the guy is a total asshole, he at least did his research!

If he had left out the Howe part I think it would've been ok.

Rev Halo Fan does nothing but spew shit.

Meier

I wanna say bring up Urias but he's only 19 right? Dodgers gonna probably bring him up Sept. Also Kendrick has been great. So far we getting the better deal out of the trade
Dee has had a monster start to the year in Florida and we're paying Haren $10m to do nothing. Heaney isn't doing so hot in the minors right now so who knows, but you hate trading away a top 10 pick who many think has high end potential. We'll see in the long run.

He's 23 years old, he's younger than me.

First round picks get bonuses, most of them amount to nothing. It's not a waste of money to have one reach the bigs.

Saying that "first round picks get bonuses" is a little bit of an understatement when talking about this kid. We absolutely crushed our record signing bonus with him and he wasn't even an early pick in the first round. We went WAY over slot. Like three or four times at least. Even if he dropped down because most thought he wouldn't sign, he wasn't one of the top two-three players in the draft and Noah Syndergaard was available and signed for a fraction of that.

In the long run it's not that big of a deal given how massive the signing bonuses are for some of these guys who're signing from Cuba or Japan, but it was unprecedented at the time to spend over $5m on a kid at the end of the first round. Hell, it still is. It just doesn't happen.

Terry Collins doing a Bobby V sunday special with tonight's lineup. Ruben Tejada batting 6th? Eric Campbell hitting cleanup? Terry pls. Good luck Montero because you aren't getting any runs from that lineup tonight.

Fox318

The Players Assoc. is protecting him. Of course he's going to take the money and run.

And the players assoc needs to focus on the younger players getting better deals then the few older guys getting mega deals.

Regardless of the money the teams have the mega deals with mega years are going away slowly.

And the players assoc needs to focus on the younger players getting better deals then the few older guys getting mega deals.
Regardless of the money the teams have the mega deals with mega years are going away slowly.

What's the rookie minimum?

I know arbitration plays a huge role in what a player will receive down the road past rookie status.

bebop242

Didn't some team have home games at the Brewers park because of weather a few years ago?

The astros, like 6 or 7 years ago played a couple "home" games at Miller Park. Against the Cubs of all teams. Players rightfully complained about the situation. Zambrano pitched his no hitter in that series.

It was certainly an ass holeish story, but I disagree it deserved to be deleted. If I were the author I'd probably be glad it is deleted though.

That said, the sentiment is accurate. Hamilton is refusing to take any responsibility for his actions and is taunting the Angles for signing him. Guy is an asshole.

How is he not taking responsibility? He's saying his employer knew he was an addict when they signed him because now they're trying to weasel their way out of paying him what he's owed because he's an addict. By being the scummiest people imaginable.

He's done nothing but take accountability for his actions. He reported HIMSELF to the MLB.

It's going to be a strange game in Baltimore tomorrow. I'm trying to imagine what it's going to be like. Are they still going to do the National Anthem and God Bless America (I think so)? Will they still play music, announce batters coming up at plate and play those sounds that get the crowd going? I hope it's on tv.

I don't think the Angels fan are missing much, unless I'm mistaken.

It's going to be a strange game in Baltimore tomorrow. I'm trying to imagine what it's going to be like. Are they still going to do the National Anthem and God Bless America (I think so)? Will they still play music, announce batters coming up at plate and play those sounds that get the crowd going? I hope it's on tv.

Do the concession guys and gals get the day off? It's a weird idea for sure.

Top Bottom