• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Every statistical article on the subject backs the DH as being right choice. Pitchers are getting way better at pitching, and way worse at hitting. It doesn't add anything to the game to have an almost guaranteed out every trip through the batting order.

The "purist" mentality of having your pitcher go up to bat dates back to an era when pitchers could hit. The idea of it adding strategy to managing your batting order is hilarious, since it adds zero strategy. In later innings, with the game on the line and runners in scoring position, you sub your pitcher. I can tell you with 95% certainty when a pinch hitter is coming in based on the inning, score, and base runner situation...and I'm no genius.

The honest answer is that NL owners don't want to drop the cash on an additional hitter. They can appeal to the purity of the game, or tradition, or whatever...but it comes down to money. There was a time when the NL was a vastly superior league, but that's no longer the case.

Fans like great pitching. Fans like great hitting. The DH rule enables both better than having a nine-slot pitcher strike out or sacrifice 2-3 times per game. People point out guys like Hampton or Bumgarner, but they are the exception that proves the rule. And Bumgarner's hitting stats are hot garbage. Career .162 batting average. GTFO, Mendoza Madison! Stick to dominating my Royals from the mound.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I seriously doubt NL position players are that opposed to it either. Having a DH means the older guys can DH part time and it means you're more likely to get playing time if you're a hitter. Pitchers would rather spend those minutes sitting on the bench resting between half innings instead of having to get in the batters box and running the bases.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't care if pitchers are bad at hitting, that's part of what makes the game interesting. The MLBPA might like the idea, but I don't know what bargaining chip they have that's going to get NL owners to agree to a wholesale salary increase across the board.

So it'll be like a Marlins game in other words.

I watched their last series against the Royals, and can confirm the White Sox will feel right at home in an empty stadium.

I don't care if pitchers are bad at hitting, that's part of what makes the game interesting. The MLBPA might like the idea, but I don't know what bargaining chip they have that's going to get NL owners to agree to a wholesale salary increase across the board.

Wait...what? Interesting in what way? Watching an over matched dude strike out? How is that interesting? It sucks.

Your second part hits the nail on the head, though. Basically, you are watching a crappy hitter at the plate in order to save billionaire owners some money. /nope.gif

------

Edit - Alex Gordon with the dinger! Dude is really heating up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I watched their last series against the Royals, and can confirm the White Sox will feel right at home in an empty stadium.

Wait...what? Interesting in what way? Watching an over matched dude strike out? How is that interesting? It sucks.

Your second part hits the nail on the head, though. Basically, you are watching a crappy hitter at the plate in order to save billionaire owners some money. /nope.gif

The double-switch, pinch hitters, etc. It adds something to what happens in the late game.That said, you can fantasize about it all you want, but MLB has literally no salary cap or any form of restricted free agency. They have no bargaining power to get it.

NL is the only league that doesn't use the DH.

No offense, but this is the most irrelevant argument in a giant sea of irrelevant arguments.

The double-switch, pinch hitters, etc. It adds something to what happens in the late game.

That said, you can fantasize about it all you want, but MLB has literally no salary cap or any form of restricted free agency. They have no bargaining power to get it.

The double switch is pinch hitting for a garbage batter and making a phone call out to the bullpen. It's not strategy...it's compensation for an ancient rule that requires a pitcher to strike out multiple times per game. A double switch is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I think that fan sentiment and statistics will eventually outweigh the owner's appeal to tradition and make the DH a league wide thing. But I agree with you, it's not happening any time soon.

Angry Grimace

Cant argue that!

Sure you can. Its an irrelevant argument because the only leagues that actually matter are the AL and the NL.

The players, managers and media banging the drum is only slightly more relevant, and even then, totally irrelevant as to whether they'd actually get it. The only thing that's relevant is whether the MLBPA has something up its sleeve it can use as leverage to get it.

The double switch is pinch hitting for a garbage batter and making a phone call out to the bullpen. It's not strategy...it's compensation for an ancient rule that requires a pitcher to strike out multiple times per game. A double switch is a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

I think that fan sentiment and statistics will eventually outweigh the owner's appeal to tradition and make the DH a league wide thing. But I agree with you, it's not happening any time soon.

The "statistics" and fan sentiment are irrelevant to whether it ever happens. The only thing that matters period is whether there's a bargaining position that gets the NL to agree to it.

The DH rule is just pathetic anyways. If we're going to act like the pitcher is super-special, just eliminate his spot from the lineup entirely, not replace him with some loser that can't field.

Loco4Coco

I'm tired of watching pitchers ruin potential long rallies with striking out or hitting into doubleplays. Put the DH in the NL today!

BFIB

Life is in balance gents. First game of the season.

20150428_175738_zpstyxjq9q8.jpg

I seriously doubt NL position players are that opposed to it either. Having a DH means the older guys can DH part time and it means you're more likely to get playing time if you're a hitter. Pitchers would rather spend those minutes sitting on the bench resting between half innings instead of having to get in the batters box and running the bases.

I'll be in favor of it right now. We got Guerrero sitting on the bench while Uribe is stinking up the place at the plate

Beckx

Angry Grimace

If you actually let the owners vote, they'd probably be more likely to do away with the DH than expand it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Jed Lowrie has a torn ligament in his right thumb and will be out until the All-Star break.

I know you're all shocked that Jed Lowrie was hurt.

Villar has been called up, but Correa might be up sooner than later.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still don't get the people who say the player's union is against the DH in the NL. It's 15 more high paying jobs usually for veterans. It's not as if NL rosters are smaller than AL ones as they both carry the same amount of pinch hitting utility fielders.

Top Bottom