• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

wbsmcs

Carlos Rodon looked pretty good in his first start today. He had some shaky moments, but this kid has nasty stuff man. That slider of his has crazy movement, and if he could get his control in check and cut down on the walks he could be a top pitcher in the not too distant future.

Stanton has been slumping lately. He needs to stop swinging at high fast balls and sliders in the dirt.

He has struck out three times against a pitcher who he had a lot of success against. Bumgardener is just making him look silly out there.

BFIB

Looks like Craig will be optioned by the Red Sox.

It's a shame how far he's fallen. That ankle injury did him in.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Astros struck out 13 times tonight and still lead 6-4.

Them longballs.

..to the bottom of the 9th and Qualls coming in to close.

Oh boy.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Qualls blows. Don't pitch to Trout!

Come on... get Poopjuls out!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Woot 20-11, good win... Qualls you almost gave me a stroke.

f you Poopjuls!

Carlos Rodon is still raw, but if he's in the strike zone there aren't many teams that can hit him hard.

Sale,Rodon,Quintana all signed for multiple years for essentially peanuts, now we just have to develop our first position player since Joe Crede...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Drew Smyly out for the season. Damn the Rays have shit luck.

Yeah its been brutal :(

Guess I should embrace my Erasmo Ramirez future. Wish they would do something different like call up Blake Snell, he has literally been unhittable this season, 33 innings pitched and 0 runs allowed. Guess it won't be till the end of this year at least, maybe they'll pull a Matt Moore with him (hey it'd be nice to have him back too)

zulux21

Carlos Rodon is still raw, but if he's in the strike zone there aren't many teams that can hit him hard.

Sale,Rodon,Quintana all signed for multiple years for essentially peanuts, now we just have to develop our first position player since Joe Crede...

i'm not minding what I have seen of Micah Johnson so far, though I have some hopes for Tim Anderson

Opportunity today for Rodon to prove he deserves it. If it wasn't the intent to get him in the rotation, why call him up?

apparently just to get him some innings in the major league level. They say they want to continue to watch the number of innings he pitches and keep it low. I imagine the white sox are going to keep him in the bullpen until around the end of june likely trying to get him around 50 innings pitched by then. and then from there out he can start as if you have him go 6 innings in each start over the remaining 17 or so starts that would get him to 150 for the season, and if there is a playoff run you can risk it to 200 innings then.

I don't care for this innings pitched stuff though it's absolutely and completely useless. That is not to say that keeping track of how much ware and tear on an arm is useless though. You hands down should keep track of number of pitches, and number of pitches under stress (lets go pitching with runners in scoring position for this case) but an inning can be as little as 3 pitches or get to 50 plus pitches thus saying he has pitched 100 innings has little meaning, especially if you jump him between bullpen and starter as most pitchers throw harder from the bullpen (aka I am saying that a bullpen inning would be more like 2 starter innings). In general I would rather him just be in the rotation, and if he seems to start showing the innings are piling up drop him to the bullpen or just shut him down for the season. They don't need to rely on him in the playoffs, but they sure could use him to help get back in the heat of things.

I hate to be the debby downer on the Stros here. But this isn't a sustainable way to win. They're basically entirely reliant on the long ball and strike out at a ridiculous clip (nearly 1/4 AB's). They just don't have sustainable contact rates right now.

They'll be contending for the playoffs in September, but they won't be the first place team, just don't see this being sustainable.

Eh. You don't know that. Pineda had the same injury and he has come back just as good, if not better.

You can count the successful comebacks on one hand.

Schilling, Pineda (though he needs to stay healthy to prove it), Ted Lilly and Chris Carpenter. And even then, Lilly and Carpenter only came back briefly and they weren't the same pitchers.

The list of failures would take days to go through.

There are guys who come back and have nice careers after it, just like there are guys who come back from Microfracture in the NFL/NBA. But those guys are the exceptions, not the rule.

Plus a guy like Pineda lived in the high 90's, you can take 3-5 ticks of his FB and have him still be effective. Smyly would have his heater be rendered basically useless. Without it, what's his career going to amount too?

Malo

Banned

Schilling, Pineda (though he needs to stay healthy to prove it), Ted Lilly and Chris Carpenter. And even then, Lilly and Carpenter only came back briefly and they weren't the same pitchers.

The list of failures would take days to go through.

There are guys who come back and have nice careers after it, just like there are guys who come back from Microfracture in the NFL/NBA. But those guys are the exceptions, not the rule.

Plus a guy like Pineda lived in the high 90's, you can take 3-5 ticks of his FB and have him still be effective. Smyly would have his heater be rendered basically useless. Without it, what's his career going to amount too?
I'm just trying to give darkside some semblance of hope, man. I know how devastating and potentially career ending torn labrums can be.

zulux21

I'm confused by the carpenter stuff
There had been flashes of brilliance amid long bouts of inconsistency through 2002 when a shoulder injury sidelined him. Somewhat understandably, the Blue Jays under GM J.P. Ricciardi non-tendered Carpenter and wanted to bring him back on a minor league contract. Carpenter instead signed with the Cardinals knowing that a torn labrum would keep him out for the entire 2003 season.
chris' stats
1G6N5Rq.png
I mean the stats don't show how his stuff changed, but half of his career was after that and it was the only time he was actually a good pitcher.

I mean it is likely Drew Smyly will never be the same, and that this is indeed the end for him. But you might as well give him a chance before you right him off, especially since the fastball isn't everything, Mark Buehrle proves that just fine. Just like plenty of pitchers have lost some speed off their fastball only to figure out other ways to get people out.

I mean we are making medical advances in baseball all of the time a mere 41 years ago Tommy John surgery was never done, now it seems to be done on a daily basis in baseball. I mean in time we might have the Jake Peavy surgery and that was just a few years ago it was done for the first time.

Buehrle is yet another outlier, he and Weaver are the only two starting pitchers who's fastballs average under 86 MPH that have anything resembling success right now. And it's looking like the clock struck midnight for Weaver. That's because both are veterans and have always had superior secondary stuff. Weaver was a CYA level pitcher before he lost his velo, he was one of the best in baseball.

I'm not trying to take away anybodies hope that he could recover, but it's a statistical abnormality that anybody recovers from it.

Also Carpenters initial labrum tear wasn't a severe tear (think Shilling), and even then despite his years of success, he was often injured.

aFIGurANT

Looks like Craig will be optioned by the Red Sox.

It's a shame how far he's fallen. That ankle injury did him in.

Pretty fucked up there. The dude got paid for his performance in 2011 though and that's what's important. Those Oppos vs Ogando will forever be in my memory. Godspeed Torty.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Wasn't there a quote from Gibby this week saying that Saunders was feeling a bit of pain, but they thought he could play through it? Maybe not the best approach to take with an injury prone player.

We are talking about a team that thought it was a good idea to have Reyes hit right handed against RHP for the first time in his career instead of putting him on the DL right away after he cracked his ribs.

Top Bottom