• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Beckx

I wonder if sometimes Baseball holding on to it's past so much hurts it's popularity.

Well, the "respect the game" (a.k.a. No Fun Allowed) crowd aren't helping. But they've stopped Puig from flipping bats so I'm sure that will bring in fans.

That aside, the grand history & fact that you can still compare players from a 100 years ago is part of what makes baseball so compelling. (Speaking of hurting, I don't think having ESPN guys who make fun of knowing about Honus Wagner and scoff at the idea that maybe he was really a good player helps bring in new fans.)

But please, just let the players have fun, baseball is a fun game. Show kids it's fun, not a SUPER SERIOUS RESPECT-A-THON.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you think the Pads have one more trade in them? With Upton most likely leaving this might be their best chance at a WS.

They might, but nobody makes trades in April/May since there's no real way to know if you should be loading or unloading. I would venture a guess they've got Austin Hedges up in the majors for the purposes of trying to move him. Norris is hitting .300 with very improved defense and isn't even eligible for arbitration. I don't think they need an all-defense/no-bat kind of guy unless they're planning to pull a Biggio on Derek Norris.

Right now the problem with the team is trying to figure out what they need to add and whether an upgrade is available. The big one is probably shortstop or third base. The Pitching and Hitting has been streaky as all-fuck but there's nothing you can do about that now.

??

Padres are 4 games back in the division, they are solid WC contenders, projections think San Diego is a slightly better team then San Fran, it's an odd year, and it's not even Memorial Day :lol.
Yeah, an above .500 team is "done" on May 15th. Checks out.
KuGsj.gif

Also cubsfan, Padres are done. Already 6+ games out. Giants are only team Dodgers gotta worry about.

They're not 6+ games out. They're 4 games out. The Giants are 5.5. Joke post? Or Nostradamus reborn?

Padres are dead and their fans don't even know it yet!

Anyway I can't believe I woke up to this shit. I went to sleep during the delay and see that we blew it!

YA BLEW IT

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I had a dream last night that the Braves traded Andrelton Simmons plus two top prospects for Tulo. It was more of a nightmare really.

aFIGurANT

I had a dream last night that the Braves traded Andrelton Simmons plus two top prospects for Tulo. It was more of a nightmare really.
A nightmare because you know all it would take would be the big T to take you back to an October series, and your fragile psyche couldn't handle that right now? /s

Trading for Tulo should terrify any real fan IMO
Good series tonight between the Tigers/Cardinals.

October Preview!

Hyped to see Cmart start tonight since his schedule has lined up so poorly with my work one the last two starts. My Bud Light Not Crazy if it Works theory is that he's missing my positive vibes from watching. We shall see. The real '15 season starts here schedule-wise.

Parch

Not even close to June yet and the lengthy list of players on the DL is unbelievable. For a non contact sport, baseball sure has a lot of injuries.

Not even close to June yet and the lengthy list of players on the DL is unbelievable. For a non contact sport, baseball sure has a lot of injuries.

Mets DL:

D. Wright
C. Puello
T. d'Arnaud
D. Gee
R. Montero
Z. Wheeler
B. Carlyle
V. Black
J. Edgin
B. Parnell
J. Mejia
J. Blevins

Nuts. Three of those guys didn't even make it out of spring.

aFIGurANT

You guys I think Anthony Rizzo is legit. That BA is godly and may I say even godlier on that glorious video board that's now occupying the park's visto.

??

Padres are 4 games back in the division, they are solid contenders, projections think San Diego is a slightly better team then San Fran, it's an odd year, and it's not even Memorial Day :lol.
Yoda, cubsfan- Dodgers usually have a sluggish April, May. This year already in first. Padres have injury issues at pitching,

Like I said before, Giants are the only team that will give Dodgers fits in the west. Don't sleep on them.

Kersh going to try again and win game #100

Beckx

Not really a pitchers duel here today

Since it's 10-10 in the 10th, I'll quote myself.

Melancon doesn't make me feel good about how it will end tho. That weird velocity drop off. Hope they bring up Holdzkom soon.

EDIT: HELL YEAH POLANCO (wtf was the third base coach thinking?)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yoda, cubsfan- Dodgers usually have a sluggish April, May. This year already in first. Padres have injury issues at pitching,

Like I said before, Giants are the only team that will give Dodgers fits in the west. Don't sleep on them.

Kersh going to try again and win game #100

"Padres have injury issues at pitching?" Dude, what are you even talking about? The only injured pitcher is Brandon Morrow, the No. 5 starter. Josh Johnson is on the DL too, but he hasn't pitched in 2 years and was explicitly signed as a mid-season reclamation project.

There are plenty of reasons to think a team is out of contention, but not knowing anything about them isn't usually one of them.

aFIGurANT

So what's the deal with Melancon again? Dude is making the gun look broken with nonstop 89s. Not sure how he's doing it and still being effective.

Parnell can stay there. Mejia has to come back ASAP.

He's out for 80 days when he comes back (suspension kicks in when he's off the DL) so, we're not seeing him this year regardless.

With both Torres struggling I think we see leather rocket and Bowman before the month is out.

Also if the Giants win 80 games this year I'd be shocked. If you think the Padres pitching is bad? Giants are pitching passably, but none of it is sustainable. Timmy's arm is done and his HR rate is going to climb, Cain is never coming back, Bums arm is going to give some point soon with all the strain on it, and beyond them is a whole lot of #4 guys. Heston might top out as a #2. Plus, where's the offense? Where are the marquee bats on that team? Posey, Pence when he comes back, and again a whole lot of nothing.

He's out for 80 days when he comes back (suspension kicks in when he's off the DL) so, we're not seeing him this year regardless.

With both Torres struggling I think we see leather rocket and Bowman before the month is out.

i thought while on DL he still could serve suspension. He he's serving suspension, he just wont be eligible for postseason play.

Beckx

oh god Liz is going to walk in the winning run isn't he.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

that sucked

in retrospect I would've rather seen the walk

Beckx

Thank God he doesn't play in Philly or Boston...things could have gotten real traumatic by the time they made it back to a home game.

Polanco has all he needs to be loved in pittsburgh no matter what, can steal, can hit, great range, great arm, and most importantly won't be a FA for a while, hah.

Top Bottom