• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Macattk15

Payroll probably correlates well with long-term levels of achievement, but I can't imagine that it's a strong predictor of single-season success. So year-to-year it's probably right to say it doesn't matter much.

The Mariners would be in the cellar if Cruz wasn't there.

No. Oakland looks even shittier than us.

Oakland doesn't have the pay roll that The Mariners have.

Which is all I was trying to get at when DP felt like pointing out the A's having a smaller payroll than the M's which is clearly why they are performing worse thus far this season.

I really don't care. I'd just like the Mariners to stop eating balls.

Runs? No? Okay. :/

They went with the "no-runs" lineup again.

They should never have Rollins and Ellis in the lineup together. Combined with the pitcher that's just a whole lotta no hits going on. And Mattingly doesn't even bunch them correctly to minimize the damage. He still insists on putting Rollins in the 2 slot.

wbsmcs

Ughh..the Jays are going to limp to another 81 win season aren't they?

When
and if
their young pitchers become better guys like Edwin and Bautista are going to be nearing 40. It's crazy how that when some teams luck into guys like Bautista and Edwin they make some noise.

It would be sad if Houston makes the playoffs before the Jays. And if Houston does make it, does that just leave Toronto and Seattle as the only teams from the AL to not sniff the post season in the last...15 years?

zulux21

It would be sad if Houston makes the playoffs before the Jays. And if Houston does make it, does that just leave Toronto and Seattle as the only teams from the AL to not sniff the post season in the last...15 years?

seattle made it to the playoffs in 2001 on a 116 win season (and thus would have sniffed it in the last 15 years, now they haven't done anything since so if you reduced the years just s tad it would be true :p)

and while it's true that the jays haven't been to the play offs since 1993, it's also true that since 1990 they have seen a lot better world series victory success than many other teams, so it's not all bad.

Though I would be all for the jays making the playoffs again since that would likely mean either the yankees or red sox would miss it then :p

The Jays have the longest playoff drought in all of the Big 4 North American leagues, at 21+ years. I'm doubting they make it this year, since the team is constructed horribly. Not just zero depth, but zero balance, too -- they have all those really good players at the top of the lineup, but then the other half is made up of guys who aren't even replacement level. And the pitching staff is just abysmal -- obviously Stroman getting hurt put a wrench into the staff, but everyone knew before the season started that the bullpen was going to suck, and it's lived up to those expectations.

Not sure what the solution is. Gibbons is trying to work with what he's given, so it's hard to blame him. AA allegedly has his options limited by ownership, but it really doesn't seem like he knows anything about roster construction, and his total inability to come up with a plan and stick to it doesn't inspire much confidence. Hopefully the new president comes in next year with some idea of what he's doing, because right now they're just drifting listlessly to year after year of .500ish baseball.

thefro

Payroll means EVERYTHING.

If you don't have one you have to build your team around short term gambles and developmental players. You play with an idea of being good for 2-3 years and awful for 3-4. Having the money to retain big players or bring in big FA's means a TON.

Saying it doesn't mean anything is just factually inaccurate. And using the Yankees as a source for it is misleading. They've got contracts on the books from 5 years ago, you know when they were good and winning a lot, that inflate the hell out of their payroll numbers.

Doyers have a huuuuuge payroll and win, a lot. Almost every team that spends, wins.

I wouldn't say it means everything but it gives you a hell of a lot more room for error than what the small market teams have.

You still need to have a well-ran organization to have success since there's enough teams with big money now that you can't buy everyone.

The Jays have the longest playoff drought in all of the Big 4 North American leagues, at 21+ years. I'm doubting they make it this year, since the team is constructed horribly. Not just zero depth, but zero balance, too -- they have all those really good players at the top of the lineup, but then the other half is made up of guys who aren't even replacement level. And the pitching staff is just abysmal -- obviously Stroman getting hurt put a wrench into the staff, but everyone knew before the season started that the bullpen was going to suck, and it's lived up to those expectations.

Not sure what the solution is. Gibbons is trying to work with what he's given, so it's hard to blame him. AA allegedly has his options limited by ownership, but it really doesn't seem like he knows anything about roster construction, and his total inability to come up with a plan and stick to it doesn't inspire much confidence. Hopefully the new president comes in next year with some idea of what he's doing, because right now they're just drifting listlessly to year after year of .500ish baseball.

The whole "tank for 3 years, trade away all your good players and rebuild" model seems to be working pretty well for the Astros & Cubs.

The whole "tank for 3 years, trade away all your good players and rebuild" model seems to be working pretty well for the Astros & Cubs.

At one point, that was part of AA's plan...then he woke up one day and decided he had to trade the farm for people like Josh Johnson and RA Dickey. The team would probably be much, much better off if they'd kept Henderson Alvarez and Jake Marisnick and Noah Syndergaard and Justin Nicolino and Sam Dyson than they ended up being with most of the guys they got in return. He's made some good trades -- they'd be a whole lot worse this year without Donaldson and Travis -- but on the whole, he's tended to drastically overrate veterans and be too impatient with young guys.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Shelby Miller just blew away Stanton on three straight 97mph fastballs. I don't think I'd even seen him hit 97 before.

JDHarbs

They even got Monarchs helmets this year. I think that's the first time I've seen that. It's usually just their normal Royals ones.

When they were talking about how the Marlins rushed him back from rehab?

Yeah sometime around then. I wasn't a big fan of how they were suggesting they Marlins are in trouble either.

Also, that 50 years of Atlanta Braves commercial says celebrating championships, but it only has 1995 in the background? Did they just make it plural to make it sound better, or did they win a championship before then, and just forget to put the date in the background??

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yeah sometime around then. I wasn't a big fan of how they were suggesting they Marlins are in trouble either.

Also, that 50 years of Atlanta Braves commercial says celebrating championships, but it only has 1995 in the background? Did they just make it plural to make it sound better, or did they win a championship before then, and just forget to put the date in the background??

95 is the only WS championship in Atlanta. But, pennants maybe? Several of those.

aFIGurANT

Shelby Miller just blew away Stanton on three straight 97mph fastballs. I don't think I'd even seen him hit 97 before.

Weird how he's throwing faster today after everyone talking about how he's going for sinkers now instead. Either way I just tuned in, should be fun.

95 is the only WS championship in Atlanta. But, pennants maybe? Several of those.

Ah okay, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I didn't follow baseball before the 90's, so I don't know much about the Braves other than the 90's team, and Hank Aaron. I was mostly curious to see if it was an error by the people who made the commercial.

Shelby Miller no hitter through 5
Jinx!

Shelby Miller is absolutely sawing through the Marlins. He'll probably get the no-no. It would be the first Braves no-hitter since Kent Mercker in April 1994.

Enron

Banned
Shelby Miller is a machine. Even if Heyward turns it on and hits 25 dingers with a high OBP, they will be regretting this trade for a long time to come when Heyward is wearing pinstripes

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hmm... I hate the Braves, and wouldn't want to see them get a no-hitter, but I also hate the Marlins, and would like to see them get no-hit.

It's like Sophie's Choice.

Right before the Giants traded Wheeler for him :/
One of the few things the Mets front office did right.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter no hitter

Malo

Banned
Shelby Miller is a machine. Even if Heyward turns it on and hits 25 dingers with a high OBP, they will be regretting this trade for a long time to come when Heyward is wearing pinstripes
Nah brah. It's going to be Justin Upton in pinstripes.

Top Bottom