• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Link

The Autumn Wind
I hope he doesn't get the job. It would break my heart to see him get fired, and not be around the team anymore.

I think the Mets minor league manager is still on the table? I'm not really sure, but apparently they already have someone in mind, and they will announce it tomorrow morning.
Hands off Backman. He's ours once we fire Collins.

aFIGurANT

I like how Matheny is pretty much just saying "You can be that inferior version of the player everyone thought you'd be: hit leadoff, hit no homers, take no wife, stay away from the concerns of the realm" to Heyward by putting him back in the lead off spot. SMH.

This is why I was fine with losing Heyward. He has limitless potential, but...he's probably never going to come close to meeting it. It's been 6 years and we're still talking about potential.

aFIGurANT

This is why I was fine with losing Heyward. He has limitless potential, but...he's probably never going to come close to meeting it. It's been 6 years and we're still talking about potential.

Feels like at a certain point we need to get over the Hype Machine and just look at WAR (unless we're talking Heyward, then throw even that out the window). The leash has gotten long and seriously the way people are saying he'll get paid, I just don't get it. Should be really really interesting to see who wants him and what they're comfortable with.

see5harp

Man Kolten Wong got really good in a few years. I remember when he was just a pinch runner getting picked off. I swear every time I check scores he's in the middle of a defensive play or a winning hit.

Feels like at a certain point we need to get over the Hype Machine and just look at WAR (unless we're talking Heyward, then throw even that out the window). The leash has gotten long and seriously the way people are saying he'll get paid, I just don't get it. Should be really really interesting to see who wants him and what they're comfortable with.

See but you can't do that. His defense always warranted the high WAR values, and his offensive capability was always good, but never what it should have been. The hype was warranted because he kept giving glimpses. But right now he's torpedoing the value he had because he's showing that the league adjusted to him and he can't adjust back.

He's Harper, people will keep banking on him "getting it figured out" but he won't. He'll show glimpses and throw together stretches. But at this point you can just close the door on him being the MVP level guy everybody wanted him to be.

Man Kolten Wong got really good in a few years. I remember when he was just a pinch runner getting picked off. I swear every time I check scores he's in the middle of a defensive play or a winning hit.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that many people's first impression of him was that play. Good to see that he's been able to put it behind him though.

aFIGurANT

See but you can't do that. His defense always warranted the high WAR values, and his offensive capability was always good, but never what it should have been. The hype was warranted because he kept giving glimpses. But right now he's torpedoing the value he had because he's showing that the league adjusted to him and he can't adjust back.

He's Harper, people will keep banking on him "getting it figured out" but he won't. He'll show glimpses and throw together stretches. But at this point you can just close the door on him being the MVP level guy everybody wanted him to be.

I love the defensive types but right now he's barely Randall Grichuk level (Grichuk also being a guy stretched at CF but solid in right). He has hit for power in exactly one year and the rest he's struggling to top 25 doubles...with his speed. Upton >>> Heyward in November.

zulux21

gah I forgot how much some early delayed games made the end of may a huge pain for the white sox...
they play 23 games in the last 22 days of may @_@ (may 9th on)
td4DDz6.png

on the flip side the batting is looking good and the pitching is coming around... might as well have a ton of games while the team is hot.

I love the defensive types but right now he's barely Randall Grichuk level (Grichuk also being a guy stretched at CF but solid in right). He has hit for power in exactly one year and the rest he's struggling to top 25 doubles...with his speed. Upton >>> Heyward in November.

I'm not saying that he's a plus defender right now. He's not. But his past WAR was accumulated when he was.

The Uptons are more guys that are just empty potential that will never live up too it, Melvin (B.J.) especially. Though that's more due to being lazy than just not getting it. Justin had ridiculously scary potential. Five tool guys with his build don't come along every day, and he's a huge disappointment.

They will absolutely get huge money, Upton and Heyward both (Yankees for Heyward, no idea where Melvin goes) but they will not be worth it. Hell I think Kenta Maeda will be a better value for money and he tops out as a #3 starter.

In a hilarious twist, the Marlins new manager may be...their GM Dan Jennings, who has never managed anywhere and only coaching experience has been a high school team back in the 70s.

zulux21

In a hilarious twist, the Marlins new manager may be...their GM Dan Jennings, who has never managed anywhere and only coaching experience has been a high school team back in the 70s.

you know... it's odd that the white sox got a player named dan jennings from the marlins in the off season.... for a second I thought they wanted him as a manager which would have been really weird... as despite 2 bad and one really bad relief appearence this season he has been good for the white sox (and is only 28 lol)

He's basically going to be a puppet for Loria which just begs the question.

Why not manage it yourself? I'd pay money to see a Loria managed team.

Beckx

He's basically going to be a puppet for Loria which just begs the question.

Why not manage it yourself? I'd pay money to see a Loria managed team.

I think there's still a rule against owners directly managing teams because of Ted Turner? Edit: late, have images turned off, never seen that one before lol

---

Rumor has it Orix Buffaloes are going to extend an offer to Ichiro to be player/manager once his contract with the Marlins is up.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that many people's first impression of him was that play. Good to see that he's been able to put it behind him though.

Kolten Wong is legit. That bat speed is incredible

Glad the Cardinals don't have to do experiments like Skip Schumaker at 2nd base :)lol) for a while now

Loco4Coco

that's weird, the guy that can demote,release, or trade you will manage the club. Might get awkward in the dugout when trade rumors pop up.

Edit: nvm, seems like the GM job goes to someone else.

that's weird, the guy that can demote,release, or trade you will manage the club. Might get awkward in the dugout when trade rumors pop up.

Edit: nvm, seems like the GM job goes to someone else.

I am pretty sure he still has a say in personnel decisions. But this is certainly one of the most surprising decisions in recent memory. Two front office guys move to the dugout? Can't say I've seen this before, but it's the Marlins after all.

Top Bottom