• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Link

The Autumn Wind
What is your problem with the Marlins? Is it because the final games of the collapse of 2007?
Are you seriously asking this? It has nothing to do with being a Mets fan. The Marlins have a terrible owner and slimeball president that destroyed a franchise, scammed a county, and are just awful for the sport. They're both shysters that are bad for the sport, and the sooner they are gone, the better off everyone will be. This just happens to be the latest example of a front office that makes the Mets look like a competent team.

Are you seriously asking this? It has nothing to do with being a Mets fan. The Marlins have a terrible owner and slimeball president that destroyed a franchise, scammed a county, and are just awful for the sport. They're both shysters that are bad for the sport, and the sooner they are gone, the better off everyone will be. This just happens to be the latest example of a front office that makes the Mets look like a competent team.

You won't find any argument from me on the owner or Samson. Nobody wants those guys gone more than the people here in Miami. It's still no reason to hate the franchise and shit all over the Marlins anytime they do anything wrong. We didn't ask for Loria, we were cursed with him.

I guess I just don't understand how people could hate/disrespect a franchise that except for a handful of seasons, has been absolutely awful since they came into the league. It's not like we have unlikeable players either, Stanton, Gordon, and Fernandez are some of the most exciting players in the majors to watch.

For example, there were posts talking about how Redmond was fired within like two minutes of it first being reported, and then several posts saying that the team was going to be blown up. Same thing back in April, when he was on the hot seat. Yet, I have seen like one talking about Dee Gordon, who is having a great season, and may have a chance to break the single season hit record. Stanton is second in the majors in RBIs, and nobody has given him credit, except for when he hit a monster home run out of Dodger Stadium. Nobody has mentioned Hechavarria either, who is having a gold glove season, making tons of amazing defensive plays, and turning into a really good offensive shortstop.

For example, there were posts talking about how Redmond was fired within like two minutes of it first being reported, and then several posts saying that the team was going to be blown up. Same thing back in April, when he was on the hot seat. Yet, I have seen like one talking about Dee Gordon, who is having a great season, and may have a chance to break the single season hit record. Stanton is second in the majors in RBIs, and nobody has given him credit, except for when he hit a monster home run out of Dodger Stadium. Nobody has mentioned Hechavarria either, who is having a gold glove season, making tons of amazing defensive plays, and turning into a really good offensive shortstop.

This just in: People notice shitty things more than good things.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It's just that the Marlins make it so easy to trash them as an organization, even when they have or do some really good things. Loria; the new logo design; everything about the new stadium (it's financing, the homer thingy, the fish tank, the night club); the firesales and slimy business practices; being in Florida. Now this. It's like performance art at this point.

Osorio

It's just that the Marlins make it so easy to trash them as an organization, even when they have or do some really good things. Loria; the new logo design; everything about the new stadium (it's financing, the homer thingy, the fish tank, the night club); the firesales and slimy business practices; being in Florida. Now this. It's like performance art at this point.

Poor attendance/a small fanbase exacerbates all the bad things. There are usually not enough fans to defend the franchise's actions, and the poor attendance gives people an impetus to bring up their relocation to a more "deserving" city.

Poor attendance/a small fanbase exacerbates all the bad things. There are usually not enough fans to defend the franchise's actions, and the poor attendance gives people an impetus to bring up their relocation to a more "deserving" city.

To be fair almost all of those problems stem from Loria, it was his decision to change to logo, and build the stadium, though it is a really, really nice stadium, even with the silly home run statue. The nightclub isn't a big deal to me, since American Airlines Arena also has a night club, that is just part of the culture in Miami.

The small fan base is partially his fault too. There are plenty of fans who live in Miami who like the Marlins, but refuse to give any money to Loria, because of the lies and schemes that scammed tax payers to paying an absurd amount for the new stadium. That along, with refusing to pay money to keep good players (except Stanton), has really pissed off the fans in Miami. If he were to ever sell the team, I firmly believe that the Marlins would not be at the bottom of the league in attendance.

The frustrating part is that people have been interested in buying the team. Jeb Bush and Mickey Arrison (Miami Heat owner) have tried to buy the team, but they were shut down by the Marlins front office. A guy like Mickey Arrison could do wonders for the franchise, especially since he likes to spend money.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blake Snell now at 46 scoreless innings to start his season. I guess if he goes the whole year without giving up a run maybe he'll get called up in September or something.

I happened to pop down to Miami Saturday to watch the Braves play. First time at Marlins Park, and it really is a nice place to watch the game, if a little...sterile? Not sure if that's the word I want but it's the one that pops into my head.

I was surprised to see that for a Saturday afternoon game, there was almost no crowd - a good chunk that were there cheered for the Braves. It's not a good sign when the entire upper deck is closed, and my friend and I have an entire row to ourselves right behind 1st base. Also, very little foot traffic around the park, compared to the atmosphere that I experienced when I caught a game at Safeco Field recently.

Making a decision to dump a manager and replace him with your GM because you basically are paying three other former managers and probably can't afford or don't want to spend the money to hire a real manager is not going to help you with your fan base that you've already burnt a number of times.

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the team wasn’t performing,” Loria said. “Everybody in baseball can see it. A lot of players lost accountability, and structure was lacking.

“We’re supposed to be the Fish. The Marlins. We shouldn’t be the Flounders.

“A Marlin isn’t a flounder. We’ve got to get it going.”

Change their name to the Flounders.

What is your problem with the Marlins? Is it because the final games of the collapse of 2007?

Cheap shot below the waist.

You won't find any argument from me on the owner or Samson. Nobody wants those guys gone more than the people here in Miami. It's still no reason to hate the franchise and shit all over the Marlins anytime they do anything wrong. We didn't ask for Loria, we were cursed with him.

I guess I just don't understand how people could hate/disrespect a franchise that except for a handful of seasons, has been absolutely awful since they came into the league. It's not like we have unlikeable players either, Stanton, Gordon, and Fernandez are some of the most exciting players in the majors to watch.

Winning in '97 and '03 counts as horrible now?

You team has only existed for 22 years. They aren't going to always be incredible teams but yes the Marlins seem to suffer from the "Major League" effect: inept owner tries his/her best to alienate baseball team and yet they overcome.

What'll happen is that team makes a playoff run, gets dismantled, and rinse and repeat.

What shouldn't change is the fan support. Every Marlins game thats on SNY here shows very minimal fan support in the stands. The stadium nearly looks empty.

Link

The Autumn Wind

Are you done? Because I was talking about the owner and upper management. I have nothing bad to say about the players. You may not like it, but a team is married to its owner. Things he does will reflect on the team. You don't get to treat them as separate entities.

Cheap shot below the waist.

Winning in '97 and '03 counts as horrible now?

You team has only existed for 22 years. They aren't going to always be incredible teams but yes the Marlins seems to suffer from the "Major League" effect: inept owner tries his/her best to alienate baseball team and yet they overcome.
What'll happen is that team makes a playoff run, gets dismantled, and rinse and repeat.
What shouldn't change is the fan support. Every Marlins game thats on SNY here shows very minimal fan support in the stands. The stadium nearly looks empty.

I didn't say every year was horrible, we have been at the bottom or near the bottom of the NL East for the last few years.. I don't expect to have an amazing team every year, but I would like to at least finish a season above .500 and be close to a playoff spot.

The history of the Marlins trading players, doesn't mean the accomplishments of current players are worthless, and not worthy of praise.

Edit: Sorry everyone for derailing the thread. Sorry Mets fans for taking somewhat of a cheap shot, though it was a legitimate question. Thanks for shedding some light on why everyone talks trash about the Marlins. I mean I knew the people laughed at the Marlins, but I didn't know realize it was the only thing said about the Marlins. I figured most people felt sorry for us, so I was legitimately curious, about all the hate. It's not like the Marlins are rivals with anyone, except maybe the Rays.

I will go back to just bitching about losing games and trying to be as positive as possible about the Marlins. :lol

Are you done? Because I was talking about the owner and upper management. I have nothing bad to say about the players. You may not like it, but a team is married to its owner. Things he does will reflect on the team. You don't get to treat them as separate entities.
Edit 2: ^Starting off a post by talking down to someone?? You hating the Marlins has no impact on my life, I was just curious why a couple of Met fans were bashing the Marlins. Maybe I went to far and opened up and old wound, though that was not my intention. It really was a legitimate question, I have friends and family who hate the Buffalo Bills to this day, because of the 1992 AFC championship game. I've said my piece, you have said yours, so let's move on.

the usual haters are there already. i'm on it.

I didn't say every year was horrible, we have been at the bottom or near the bottom of the NL East for the last few years.. I don't expect to have an amazing team every year, but I would like to at least finish a season above .500 and be close to a playoff spot.

The history of the Marlins trading players, doesn't mean the accomplishments of current players are worthless, and not worthy of praise.

we are talking about Loria, not the players.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Edit 2: ^Starting off a post by talking down to someone?? You hating the Marlins has no impact on my life, I was just curious why a couple of Met fans were bashing the Marlins. Maybe I went to far and opened up and old wound, though that was not my intention. It really was a legitimate question, I have friends and family who hate the Buffalo Bills to this day, because of the 1992 AFC championship game. I've said my piece, you have said yours, so let's move on.
You're the one that's written about a short story's worth of replies as if the team is your family or something, but whatever you have to tell yourself.

You're the one that's written about a short story's worth of replies as if the team is your family or something, but whatever you have to tell yourself.

Well none of the other Marlins fans will speak up. I'm obviously a huge Marlins fan, and season tickets have been rotating around my family since 1993. I was defending my team, yeah I probably went a bit overboard, but whatever.

Oh, and you can be an angry douche all you want, if it makes you feel better? Making sarcastic comments and talking down to people, doesn't make you seem more intelligent either.

CheezyMac88

uVRy3I4.jpg

Fire that useless bag of bones Collins, PLEASE. Fire the hitting coach. Just fire everyone.

I can't fucking take this shit, it's like Armando Benitez 2.0.

Top Bottom