• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

ImmaculateForkedArthropods.gif

zulux21

Does MLB15 have the crazy load times like last year. BB has it on sale and i'm thinking of buying it.

I haven't had bad load times with it on the ps4. it takes about 10-20 seconds to load a road to the show game, and I can just go into rest mode and pop back into the road to the show mode so the rest of the loading to get there doesn't matter much.

Opiate

Albert Pujols is having a solid year, probably his best since joining the Angels.

I think he really damaged his legacy by going to LA. I'm not sure who is going to remember him especially fondly now: STL fans will to an extent, but the departure left some sour and certainly won't make him an Ozzie Smith or Stan Musial style local hero (other comparisons: Buster Posey, Miguel Cabrera. You don't have to play your whole career in a place, just a huge chunk of it, and don't leave on sour terms). And too, most LAA fans likely expected more out of him, knowing they were getting one of the great players but not necessarily realizing he was already entering his decline phase. He hasn't been terrible for the Angels by any stretch, but he won't be remembered for his play with them, either.

All of this is compounded by the fact that Pujols' play is not particularly flashy. He doesn't hit .400, he does hit 55 home runs, he doesn't play a flashy position like shortstop or center. He's just an extremely solid hitter who walks a lot, strikes out very infrequently, hits a good amount of home runs and hits for a high-but-not-incredible average consistently and plays a very solid first base. You add all that up over time, and you're looking at one of the 20 best players in MLB history. But he probably won't be remembered that way, because he's a terribly unsexy player relative to his skill and because no fanbase is emotionally invested in making sure everyone knows how awesome he was.

Opiate

I think Adrian Beltre is another example of a player who isn't particularly sexy (relative to his skillset) and who doesn't really have a loyal fanbase to advocate for him once he's left the game. By contrast, If Posey retires a giant, you can bet Giants fans won't let others forget what an amazing player he was (and is).

You add all that up over time, and you're looking at one of the 20 best players in MLB history. But he probably won't be remembered that way, because he's a terribly unsexy player relative to his skill and because no fanbase is emotionally invested in making sure everyone knows how awesome he was.

Top 20 could be tough. He's not even the best hitter of his era (love him or hate him, Alex Rodriguez is the best active hitter) and he's nowhere near Bonds territory. Sure, both of those are tainted careers, but if we're just looking at the numbers...

I'd get him in the top 30, and agree with you that he'll be respected but a bit unappreciated.

Best comparable in my head is Frank Robinson or an Eddie Mathews. Great players, but not sure they are beloved.

Pujols gets a lot of run in Southern California, but of course ESPN doesn't pay much attention to the west coast so the rest of the country doesn't think of Pujols like they used to.

I think Adrian Beltre is another example of a player who isn't particularly sexy (relative to his skillset) and who doesn't really have a loyal fanbase to advocate for him once he's left the game. By contrast, If Posey retires a giant, you can bet Giants fans won't let others forget what an amazing player he was (and is).

Well, Buster is the new face of baseball. Beltre's Seattle stint didn't do him any favors, and now he's toiling in Arlington, one of baseball's true backwaters.

Not even sure Beltre is a Hall of Famer. Maybe he is. Dude reminds me of Don Sutton a bit. You like him on your team, but other than that you don't think about the guy.

Opiate

Top 20 could be tough. He's not even the best hitter of his era (love him or hate him, Alex Rodriguez is the best active hitter) and he's nowhere near Bonds territory. Sure, both of those are tainted careers, but if we're just looking at the numbers...

He's already in the top 20 in terms of career WAR, with multiple years left to hit top 10-15. Not that WAR is definitive by any means, but it's probably worth mentioning that Pujols will very likely end his career with more WAR than Mickey Mantle or Lou Gehrig.

I'd get him in the top 30, and agree with you that he'll be respected but a bit unappreciated.

Best comparable in my head is Frank Robinson or an Eddie Mathews. Great players, but not sure they are beloved.

Yes, those might be good comparisons.

Albert Pujols is having a solid year, probably his best since joining the Angels.

I think he really damaged his legacy by going to LA. I'm not sure who is going to remember him especially fondly now: STL fans will to an extent, but the departure left some sour and certainly won't make him an Ozzie Smith or Stan Musial style local hero (other comparisons: Buster Posey, Miguel Cabrera. You don't have to play your whole career in a place, just a huge chunk of it, and don't leave on sour terms). And too, most LAA fans likely expected more out of him, knowing they were getting one of the great players but not necessarily realizing he was already entering his decline phase. He hasn't been terrible for the Angels by any stretch, but he won't be remembered for his play with them, either.

All of this is compounded by the fact that Pujols' play is not particularly flashy. He doesn't hit .400, he does hit 55 home runs, he doesn't play a flashy position like shortstop or center. He's just an extremely solid hitter who walks a lot, strikes out very infrequently, hits a good amount of home runs and hits for a high-but-not-incredible average consistently and plays a very solid first base. You add all that up over time, and you're looking at one of the 20 best players in MLB history. But he probably won't be remembered that way, because he's a terribly unsexy player relative to his skill and because no fanbase is emotionally invested in making sure everyone knows how awesome he was.

I think you're vastly underestimating just how much Cardinals fans still love the machine.

He's already in the top 20 in terms of career WAR, with multiple years left to hit top 10-15. Not that WAR is definitive by any means, but it's probably worth mentioning that Pujols will very likely end his career with more WAR than Mickey Mantle or Lou Gehrig.

Well, perhaps my rebuttal just proves your point after all lol.

zychi

Banned
MLB 15 the show is coming up as $20 if you have GCU at Best Buy today. Pricing error.

Its on sale for $40 otherwise

RGVNOE

Matheny is damn idiot, I know it's a double header, but why bring in chote to start that inning, and to face more than 1 hitter, especially when the inning started with 2 righties for the cubs

aFIGurANT

Matheny is damn idiot, I know it's a double header, but why bring in chote to start that inning, and to face more than 1 hitter, especially when the inning started with 2 righties for the cubs

It all hinged on when to take Lyons out imo. Throw Hatley in to a game like this as his first real test and you concede the game. God do we need Jaime and to a lesser extent Walden back.

RGVNOE

It all hinged on when to take Lyons out imo. Throw Hatley in to a game like this as his first real test and you concede the game. God do we need Jaime and to a lesser extent Walden back.

If he was saving relievers for game 2 why not bring in Villanueva in that situation, he would've probably been a better option, and yea we need them back

Top Bottom