• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

paine-datalab-improved-war-tables1.png

how do you get a worse at a position with the same players

war huh

what is it good for

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Cards claim former first round pick Gary Brown off of waivers.

Would not be surprised if this ends up biting SF in the ass in the future, but also would not be surprised if he just flames out.

Dude couldnt do shit for us in the minor leagues. Not much you can do after awhile besides let him go :/

Malo

Banned
RiverAveBlues did a preview for all the baseball teams outside the AL East:

Atlanta Braves
Traded their best bats
For a whole bunch of pitchers
They know scoring’s down?

Arizona Diamondbacks
Is Nuno their ace?
The answer just might be yes
Payback for ’01!

Chicago Cubs
Bleachers aren’t ready?
No prob, Bryant won’t notice
He’s in Iowa

Chicago White Sox
D-Rob and Melky
Back together in ChiTown
Growing ugly beards

Cincinnati Reds
Good enough to win?
Nah, not in that division
Can we have Cueto?

Cleveland Indians
Brantley is awesome
Kluber is really great
World Series pick? Eh

Colorado Rockies
Troy’s still a Rockie
Kyle Kendrick, OD SP?
Wait for ski season

Detroit Tigers
Miggy, Price, V-Mart
Lots of stars and real big names
Bullpen still a mess

Houston Astros
I don’t understand
You won “process World Series?”
That doesn’t exist

Kansas City Royals
Pennant last season
Volquez is replacing Shields?
For real? Yeah, for real

Los Angeles Angels
They have that Trout guy
I wish the Yankees had him
It’s Teixeira’s fault!

Los Angeles Dodgers
Kershaw is the best
Donnie Baseball gets his ring?
If not, just blame Puig

Miami Marlins
Paid Giancarlo
They’re going for it again
When’s next fire sale?

Milwaukee Brewers
They all hate Ryan Braun
But not as much as A-Rod
This team is boring

Minnesota Twins
Phil’s still homer prone
Nunez’s helmet still falls off
Just like the old days

New York Mets
Take back New York, huh?
Orange and blue like the Knicks
But with fewer fans

Oakland Athletics
Ballpark is ugly
Beane traded everyone again
What’s a Stephen Vogt?

Philadelphia Phillies
Rebuild? Finally!
Cole will be traded real soon
Then skip to next year

Pittsburgh Pirates
Cervelli pumps fist
McCutchen cut his dreads
A World Series team?

St. Louis Cardinals
Contender again
Such a boringly good team
Gets boring haiku

San Diego Padres
Kemp, Upton, Myers, Shields
But what about Yangervis?
Solarte Partay!

San Francisco Giants
The World Series champs
But it’s an odd number year
So no repeat then

Seattle Mariners
You can have Robbie
You are still stuck with Jack Z.
Yankees win the trade

Texas Rangers
Could this be the year
That Elvis Andrus will hit?
Hah, made myself laugh

Washington Nationals
Awesome rotation!
Future Yankee Bryce Harper
Has nice ring to it

If Montreal gets a team it needs to be in the AL East.

The rivalry with the Jays will still bring crowds even during those periods when the team is struggling to win. The fact they will be facing each other a lot will only help things.

Also, Boston isn't too far away so crowds coming up for games will help attendance when all the "we want a team" bandwagoners have long since gone. They will get crowds from New York coming up as well.

Having an Expos vs. Jays World Series match up is the only reason to put them in the NL and the chances of that are slim to none.

That all makes sense, but at the same time, having a team in Montreal would cut into Rogers' bottom line, since they'd lose lots of viewers east of Toronto -- and didn't they make a big deal about bringing back French announcers a little bit after AA was named GM? Not only that, if Bell were to wind up owning the team, they'd probably push the Expos on TSN just as hard as Rogers pushes the Jays on Sportsnet -- and I imagine that Bell would be doing everything they could to have people paying extra for the channel they own, rather than the competition.

That said, the biggest impediment would probably end up being the stadium. Baseball wants publicly-financed stadiums, and the odds of them getting one of those in Montreal are pretty slim. I just can't imagine a scenario where either the city or the province would have the money to commit to a project like that -- especially after they've just been burned in Quebec City. It'd be amazing if it did happen, especially because then we might end up getting a minor league team back in Ottawa, but I'm still pessimistic.

I'm also curious where the MLB/NL would add it's second expansion team. Buffalo maybe? Omaha has infrastructure, Charlotte makes the most sense, really.

Buffalo would've had a shot 50-60 years ago, but no chance it happens now. (Though I didn't know they were so close to getting one 25 years ago.)

The problem with coming up with another city is that the territorial system disqualifies a lot of the most viable candidates. The Yankees & Mets would veto any new NYC team, even if that's the place that could most easily absorb one. The Giants are blocking San Jose, and they'd probably do the same to Sacramento. Omaha is a way better choice than I would've ever imagined, but it's awfully close to the Royals, Cardinals, Cubs and White Sox. Portland might be inside the Mariners' territory (possibly ditto for Vancouver -- which also may or may not fall under the Jays, even if the two cities aren't remotely close to one another).

Charlotte may be remote enough that they could get around it. Maybe Salt Lake City or San Antonio?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
From my experience, there's a lot more Jays fans than Mariners fans in Vancouver (not that there's a ton of either).

Supposedly MLB doesn't want any more publicly traded companies to be primary owners since they have to show the team's financials every quarter so Bell may not be allowed to own the majority of a Montreal team.........doesn't mean TSN wouldn't pay a ton to get the games though

Beckx

Supposedly MLB doesn't want any more publicly traded companies to be primary owners since they have to show the team's financials every quarter so Bell may not be allowed to own the majority of a Montreal team.........doesn't mean TSN wouldn't pay a ton to get the games though

I wrote about the rules that limit ownership when I was in law school (because I'd have died if I couldn't somehow include something I liked outside of law). The NFL's ownership limitations seem to work pretty well but is there enough support among current MLB ownership to change the way things work?

rando14

Andrew Marchand ‏@AndrewMarchand
Tanaka said today his velo is down and it is not coming back this year.
Andrew Marchand ‏@AndrewMarchand
Tanaka still seems to think he can be good, but he will have a new pitching style, he said.

Doesnt sound good

zychi

Banned
I have no idea why they only have one fucking game tomorrow.

What could be better than Easter Sunday with games on all day?

NCAA finishes up. Probably a deal to not overlap their stuff too much. You don't see much primetime overlapping going on in US sports

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Concession food thread updated with a bunch of Cincinnati items and that disgusting looking poutine dog from Detroit.

Poutine%20Dog%20004_2.jpg

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/737698

The Cleveland Indians appear close to wrapping up some important business prior to Monday's season opener.

Contract-extension talks with reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Corey Kluber are progressing, reported FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.

It's believed Kluber won't negotiate an extension once the season starts, to avoid distractions away from the field, so time is running out for the two sides to reach an agreement.

Kluber, who went 18-9 with a 2.44 ERA while recording 269 strikeouts in 34 starts last year, is under team control through 2018 and won't be eligible for arbitration until the end of this season.

The 28-year-old's $514,000 salary in 2014 was an absolute steal for the Indians, who will surely be dishing out a hearty raise to Kluber in the very near future. He's currently set to make $601,000 this season, but that could change if an extension is hammered out prior to Monday.

Hurry that shit up.

Sanjuro

I'm just sad Fenway doesn't get any fun items, but at the same time they are already making bucko bucks on everything.

Top Bottom