• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

He throws that splitter so much more in MLB than NPB. That's going to cause the surgery. It needs to happen, since he is going to be the face of Jpanese baseball in MLB for a LONG time since the new posting rules offended NPB.

I agree the splitter is going to put an end to his tendon. Don't agree he'll be the long standing face of the Japanese pitcher. Shohei Otani has an opt out clause (formal or informal isn't known) that he can leave whenever he'd like. Shintaro Fujinami will be in the bigs soon after. Plus there's Maeken who's coming next year, Tomohiro Anraku will be in the bigs soon, I think the Buffs (who suck) will post Ace Kaneko this year.

Lots of Japanese pitching coming to the bigs soon.

aFIGurANT

Leave Jeremy alone, you cunts.

WAQTTRS.png

I feel like if there's three true outcomes in baseball, that image encapsulates the three true outcomes of the adult life: sleezy but successful, secretly bitter but outwardly happy, or finally just creeping your way through life. #highthoughts

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Thinking I'm going to watch the following on Monday:

10 am: Jays @ Yankees
1 pm: Braves @ Marlins
4 pm: Indians @ Astros

And if I didn't have plans in the evening I'd cap the day off with Giants @ Diamondbacks. So good to have baseball back.

I thought I read today that he was on the Giants team in 2010? Is that true and if so how does Sabean's shit work so well in the playoffs???

Yep, he single-handedly slayed Atlanta and was LCS MVP that season, I believe. Sabean is a masterful scouter, I believe he scouted the Yankee's core four back in the early 90s, I believe.

aFIGurANT

Thinking I'm going to watch the following on Monday:

10 am: Jays @ Yankees
1 pm: Braves @ Marlins
4 pm: Indians @ Astros

And if I didn't have plans in the evening I'd cap the day off with Giants @ Diamondbacks. So good to have baseball back.

You had me until Giants/Dbacks. MadBum is pedestrian if it's not October (relatively speaking). I think I'll be zeroing in on a few but trying to catch as many potential rallies as possible from the At Bat scoreboard. It's gonna be epic to see so many good SPs going at once, that really only happens once a year and it's a blast.

Yep, he single-handedly slayed Atlanta and was LCS MVP that season, I believe. Sabean is a masterful scouter, I believe he scouted the Yankee's core four back in the early 90s, I believe.
I don't believe in God any more after seeing the junkers that have turned it on for one golden fall after another in SF. Seriously besides Posey and Panda it's Huff, Scutaro, Morse, Ishikawa, and guys like Ross who just fall off the map once their contract with the Bay Area devil is up. Funny that Bonds couldn't do it but these guys could.

CygnusXS

You had me until Giants/Dbacks. MadBum is pedestrian if it's not October (relatively speaking). I think I'll be zeroing in on a few but trying to catch as many potential rallies as possible from the At Bat scoreboard. It's gonna be epic to see so many good SPs going at once, that really only happens once a year and it's a blast.

It's either that or A's-Rangers. Slim pickings.

aFIGurANT

It's either that or A's-Rangers. Slim pickings.

I wanna see more A's games but somehow they never quite live up to the hype that Moneyball inspired in me. I watch and it's still just baseball. But yeah I wouldn't mind watching the shittier SF possibly lose to the likes of...whoever Arizona throws out there.

CygnusXS

I wanna see more A's games but somehow they never quite live up to the hype that Moneyball inspired in me. I watch and it's still just baseball. But yeah I wouldn't mind watching the shittier SF possibly lose to the likes of...whoever Arizona throws out there.

It's Josh "Ace" Collmenter.

I love watching the A's play, personally. Young guys, savvy pitching, no real fireballers but nobody with glaring weakness. Good order, won't hit HR's but never struggle to get on base.

It's fun, to me anyway.

Better than Yost's teams anyway.

zulux21

I totally missed this went live...
anyways season predictions
(top team in each league is the winner, second one is the wild card)
Pick'ems:
AL East
Red Sox

AL Central
White Sox
Tigers

AL West
Angels
Mariners

NL East
Marlins
Natinals

NL Central
Cubs
Cardinals

NL West
Dodgers

NL MVP: Giancarlo Stanton
AL MVP: Mike Trout
NL Cy: Clayton Kershaw
AL Cy: Chris Sale

AL Champ: White Sox
NL Champ: Cubs
World Series: White Sox

I can dream >.>

sadly I work monday and can't catch most of my team's first win of the season, hopefully the end is at least exciting.

G-Fex

I have monday off so i'll be enjoying listening opening day and the 2nd day.

Plus since i'm broke, i'll have to play some slugfest on my xbox (original).

BASEBALL!!

RBH

Though the Braves never envisioned Dian Toscano opening the season at the Major League level, they were at least hoping to get a glimpse of the Cuban outfielder during Spring Training.

But with Opening Day imminent, Toscano still has not gained the clearance necessary for him to enter the United States to begin his employment as a professional baseball player. One Braves source indicated that it might be another month before the outfielder is granted the visa he needs to enter this country.

"We have followed proper protocol from the beginning, but visa issues are out of our control," Braves president of baseball operations John Hart said. "We are working on this daily and we hope to have this resolved as quickly as possible."

When the Braves signed Toscano to a four-year, $6 million contract this past winter, they viewed him as a raw, inexperienced outfielder with upside. Though, it was always assumed that he would have to spend at least a few months with Triple-A Gwinnett, the club hoped to better gauge his talent as he matched up against Major League talent during Spring Training.

But despite diligently working to complete all of the paperwork and procedural steps necessary for Toscano to gain a visa, the Braves have been left frustrated by this process that has been dictated by the immigration system.

Because he did not participate in international events for the Cuban national team, Toscano was a relatively unknown player until he escaped Cuba and reached the Dominican Republic earlier this year.

Toscano is a 6-foot, 200-pound left-handed hitter who was recognized in Cuba for his plate discipline. He has not shown great power and his limited arm strength provides reason to believe his best fit is in left field.
http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/articl...rking-to-figure-out-dian-toscanos-visa-issues

RBH

The Arizona Diamondbacks announced late Saturday night that Yasmany Tomas has been optioned to Triple-A Reno and Cody Ross outright released from his contract.

For those keeping track at home, that's $78 million in guaranteed money that won't be making Arizona's opening day roster.

A big chunk of that money belongs to Tomas. The 24-year-old slugger from Cuba was one of the offseason's most expensive free agent signings, commanding a six-year, $68.5 million contract in December. But the Diamondbacks brass simply didn't like what they saw this spring, particular on defense at third base. As a result, chief baseball officer Tony La Russa, general manager Dave Stewart and first-year manager Chip Hale ultimately decided a position change is in order, so Tomas is headed to Reno where he'll try to transition to the outfield.

Also, they relegated Aaron Hill, who is owed $24 million, to a bench role.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...to-triple-a--release-cody-ross-052308938.html

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NY Times: Hotter Baseball Ticket in New York Is to See the Mets, It Appears

As the 2015 season approaches, the thought has arisen that this might be a moment when the Mets again pivot past the Yankees, whose long run of playoff appearances has run aground.

Could it happen? Maybe. And certainly some fans seem to think it will. According to TiqIQ, a company that aggregates prices on the secondary market, tickets for Mets games at Citi Field seem to be more in demand at the moment than for the 81 Yankee games that will be played at Yankee Stadium.

According to the company, the average ticket price for Yankee home games this season, as of Thursday, was $101.43 on the secondary market, a 27.24 percent drop from the same point in 2014, when the Yankees were getting ready to stage their season-long goodbye to Derek Jeter. TiqIQ said the average ticket for Mets games was $104.47, which was nearly 19 percent higher than a year ago and also $3 more than Yankee tickets are fetching right now.

And there’s more. According to TiqIQ, the average ticket price for the Yankees’ season opener in the Bronx next Monday, April 6 — against the Toronto Blue Jays — was $159.52, down more than 18 percent from a year ago. The Mets? The average price for their home opener on Monday, April 13 — against the Philadelphia Phillies — was $202.73, up more than 36 percent from 2014. And Matt Harvey is not even scheduled to pitch.

Chris Macovich, a TiqIQ vice president, said that his company has been around since 2010 and that this was the first time that the Mets’ secondary ticket market seemed stronger than the one for the Yankees.

Last season, the Yankees sold 3,401,624 tickets, the third-highest total in baseball. The Mets sold a lot less — 2,148,808, which left them 21st out of 30 teams. But for the Mets, that figure at least represented a slight increase from 2013 and marked the first time ticket sales had moved upward since they moved into Citi Field for the 2009 season.

Presumably, Mets attendance will jump a good deal higher in 2015. The TiqIQ numbers certainly indicate a resurgence of interest from a fan base that has taken a beating for much of the last decade via September collapses, six straight losing seasons and a team payroll diminished by the Madoff financial scandal.

The TiqIQ numbers also indicate a potential problem for the Yankees, who no longer have Jeter or Mariano Rivera or, for that matter, a team that scares anyone. The Yankees have already tried to jazz up the 2015 schedule by designating special days to retire the numbers of Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte. In effect, the past will have to suffice this season if the present does not work out so well.

So, maybe this will be 1985 all over again, and the Mets will move ahead of the Yankees. Then again, not a single game has been played.

Top Bottom