• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
Soon to be the Harper/Machado in Pinstripes tax.
I like the way you think.

$195 million luxury tax seems too low of an increase, considering that it's been at $189 million for the last few years, and all the new money that has been pumped into baseball.

An AL team could let him DH on days he doesn't pitch, NL teams can't offer that.

I don't see us getting under the luxury tax this offseason, it'll probably happen next offseason.

Exactly. In fact, I would say if Otani does want to hit badly, that an AL team would be more attractive considering he could get more at bats playing as a DH then he would simply playing as a hitter when pitching and pinch hitting in the NL.

Mortemis

Banned
Exactly. In fact, I would say if Otani does want to hit badly, that an AL team would be more attractive considering he could get more at bats playing as a DH then he would simply playing as a hitter when pitching and pinch hitting in the NL.

It gets a lil tricky scheduling when he bats & pitches since iirc it's easier in Japan because of 6man rotations. He could pitch-break-dh-dh-break-pitch. Could still be taxing though.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jayson StarkVerified account
‏@jaysonst

Turns out draft-pick compensation won't disappear. Teams over threshold lose a 2nd- & 5th-round pick. Under threshold: lose 3rd-round pick.

Amazing how the more unnecessarily complicated option is always the one that's chosen.

Mortemis

Banned
Im very confused.

An astros offense with Edwing is scary as fuck. Even if it could turn into an albatross quickly, they'll hope to get a ton of value early.

False Alarm folks. Edwin didn't sign yet

Rick Westhead – Verified account ‏@rwesthead

Edwin Encarnacion’s agent says report of Edwin signing w/ Houston is FALSE. “We’re talking to teams. That reporter didn’t even call me."

Qualifying offer is still there, but now the penalty is having your draft pick lowered 5 spots as opposed to completely losing a pick.

Bill Shanks is reporting that the Braves are on the verge of a major trade that will "completely change their lineup" and that the player he's heard is someone that "no one would ever predict." He said he doesn't believe the trade will go down tonight, but that was before the news of the CBA being agreed on. Who knows.

Choomp

Banned
Bill Shanks is reporting that the Braves are on the verge of a major trade that will "completely change their lineup" and that the player he's heard is someone that "no one would ever predict." He said he doesn't believe the trade will go down tonight, but that was before the news of the CBA being agreed on. Who knows.

well, this next week or so should be fun. Happy they got the CBA done

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Interesting. 1B, 2B, SS, CF are basically all set. LF is not moveable and RF would be hard as well. Sooo C or 3B?

‏@jaysonst
Sources say every team will have a total bonus pool of about $5 million to sign foreign-born amateur players. And they can't exceed that cap

Glad they closed that loophole, but still you wonder if an international draft would have been better financially for those Latin American kids.

Interesting. 1B, 2B, SS, CF are basically all set. LF is not moveable and RF would be hard as well. Sooo C or 3B?

Has ARod filed for retirement yet?

Hot stove has started!

Trout for the entire Gwinnett Braves system!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Bill Shanks is a questionable source, but, this would jive with my earlier mystical feelings!

Malo

Banned
‏@jaysonst
Sources say every team will have a total bonus pool of about $5 million to sign foreign-born amateur players. And they can't exceed that cap

Glad they closed that loophole, but still you wonder if an international draft would have been better financially for those Latin American kids.

Has ARod filed for retirement yet?
A hard cap? That might be worse than a draft.

@AP_Sports: APNewsBreak: Baseball's All-Star Game no longer to determine World Series home-field advantage.

HAPPY DAY

Also no way it's a hard cap, if it's a hard cap, that cap is $70M less than ALL teams spent last year. I refuse to believe that it'll be enforced as a hard cap, there's just no way, there's not enough stateside talent.

zulux21

Im calling they gut the farm system for mike trout :p

no one would predict that so yeah... I will :p

Specifics on Draft-pick compensation are still being discussed. That said, qualifying offers -- which will still be calculated based on the average of the top 125 salaries -- can still be extended to free agents, but no more than once per player in his career. A player must still be on his club for the entire season to receive a qualifying offer.
Teams losing a free agent who received a qualifying offer will get a Draft pick only if the player signs a contract worth at least $50 million. After that, the pick depends on a team's market size, according to MLB Network Insider Ken Rosenthal.
Beginning in the 2017-18 offseason, teams will not lose first-round Draft picks for signing a premier free agent. However, teams exceeding the luxury-tax threshold would lose a second-rounder, fifth-rounder and $1 million in international pool money.

huh, the qualifying offer is gonna be a once per career limit?

bebop242

HAPPY DAY

Also no way it's a hard cap, if it's a hard cap, that cap is $70M less than ALL teams spent last year. I refuse to believe that it'll be enforced as a hard cap, there's just no way, there's not enough stateside talent.

Good, stupid fix to a non problem. Glad it happened this year tho, dunno Cubs would have won.

Edit Talking about WS home field.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They should decide home field by whichever team eats the most ketchup covered hotdogs in 10 minutes.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think the biggest change which one one seems to be talking about is that the minimum stay on the DL has been reduced from 15 days to 10.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Still not sure what to think if the qualifying offer stuff. Seems like it might hurt small market teams more and will probably end up having an even shorter window to win when their best option is to trade the FA to be instead of waiting and getting the draft pick.

(It would be nice if they made more draft picks tradeable).

Kris Bryant for Bartolo?

BFIB

Heyward coming home!

Check out @michaelgbaron's tweet:
Jacob deGrom will meet members of the media tomorrow 10:45 AM at Citi Field. There isn’t any other information. So, I wonder if that’s good.

Cant feel good too long.

gamz

Check out @michaelgbaron's tweet:
Jacob deGrom will meet members of the media tomorrow 10:45 AM at Citi Field. There isn’t any other information. So, I wonder if that’s good.

Cant feel good too long.

Long term contract? Which would be really odd because hes under control until 2021.

Im calling they gut the farm system for mike trout :p

no one would predict that so yeah... I will :p

The Braves turning around and dumping a bunch of these prospects they've been piling up for Mike Trout would be the trade of the century. Would love to see it for the meltdowns.

Just so people know now is the time to go to Cooperstown.

What do you mean? Just for the crowds and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom