• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, he's not the GM. Good call. But, I'm still pretty sure he's calling the shots on the moves.

I wouldn't be surprised. But alongside trading in all the chips for that 2014 run, he's shown that he really is barely treading above water in terms of getting a good return.

enlightening interview from Joe Buck on his haters and his general insecurities.

I really like Joe Buck as a person.

Good quote from Reddit on the subject:

People see Joe Buck as the Nickelback of commentary.
Easy to make fun of and plenty of examples of goofy-ness/ potential lack of talent when you go looking for them. Both Nickelback and Joe Buck probably work their tails off on their stages and behind the scenes, but when the public has made up their minds its hard to uncircle that jerk.

But yes, Beane has gotten worse. As much as Queso likes to say otherwise, the Donaldson trade was basically premeditated on Beane getting scared after losing to the Royals in 2014, and starting a hasty rebuild.

I haven't said otherwise. All I've consistently said was it was too early to judge the trade after a few months or a year, especially when so many prospects were involved.

And I haven't exactly been shouting Billy's praises from the mountaintops.

Finally, disagree on the getting scared/rebuild thing. I think he was trying to sell high on Donaldson, and didn't expect him to continue hitting like he has.

Donaldson's peripherals dropped pretty hard from 2013 to 2014. OPS dropped almost 100 points, strikeout rate jumped a bit, and he was on the wrong side of 27. He also became a slightly worse (although still good) defender in 2014.

So, trading a 29 year old former decent-but-not-top prospect that spent almost 6 years in the minors after 2 somewhat surprisingly good years with declining peripherals for a group of prospects that included a starting 2B, 2 potential middle rotation guys and a future star SS prospect is still a good trade. But much like the deals for Shark and Lester, they just haven't worked out.

Over in Chicago, Theo makes a similar series of trades, they work out, and he's a hero. Is what it is.

Say what you will about Nickelback, but at least they worked hard and earned their way to the top. Buck is a bored douche who, by his own admission, isn't even that interested in sports and only got to where he is through nepotism.

And that's the thing that this video addresses. So he got through riding on his father's coattails, so what? Plenty of former players ride into broadcasting roles and suck, so why does Joe get the same vitriol for the inverse? I mean, if you want broadcasting nepotism, look at the Sportsnet booth for the Jays, considering the main guy was a former player and manager, and the color guy is a former player who won a ring with the Jays.

And I think the 'not that interested in sports' thing mostly goes back to the past, and besides, was only for baseball. But he's changed now. I think he does enjoy commentating on baseball again, and he has learned from the mistakes he made in the past and made himself out to be a better broadcaster as a whole. Helps that he has also become more aware of the supposed hatred he has in the cultural zeitgeist and is willing to riff on it.

Think of it this way: chances are you are probably used to Michael Kay calling 150+ games a year for the Yanks. You are used to be listening to what is, essentially, a homer call your games, happy for your team. Yet when the national broadcasts come, you have to switch over to a national broadcaster, and since that broadcaster is FOX, it means chances are, it's either Matt Vasgersian or Buck. They have to appear impartial by cheering for the team that currently has the momentum.

BigAT

And that's the thing that this video addresses. So he got through riding on his father's coattails, so what? Plenty of former players ride into broadcasting roles and suck, so why does Joe get the same vitriol for the inverse? I mean, if you want broadcasting nepotism, look at the Sportsnet booth for the Jays, considering the main guy was a former player and manager, and the color guy is a former player who won a ring with the Jays.

And I think the 'not that interested in sports' thing mostly goes back to the past, and besides, was only for baseball. But he's changed now. I think he does enjoy commentating on baseball again, and he has learned from the mistakes he made in the past and made himself out to be a better broadcaster as a whole. Helps that he has also become more aware of the supposed hatred he has in the cultural zeitgeist and is willing to riff on it.

Think of it this way: chances are you are probably used to Michael Kay calling 150+ games a year for the Yanks. You are used to be listening to what is, essentially, a homer call your games, happy for your team. Yet when the national broadcasts come, you have to switch over to a national broadcaster, and since that broadcaster is FOX, it means chances are, it's either Matt Vasgersian or Buck. They have to appear impartial by cheering for the team that currently has the momentum.

Comparing Buck's situation to a former major league baseball player getting an analyst job is such a false parallel I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Comparing Buck's situation to a former major league baseball player getting an analyst job is such a false parallel I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Chances are, I'm not changing your mind. But still, it is a form of nepotism.

And I'll leave it at that.

Buck is a good person behind the scenes, this interview and his willingness to go into detail about some dark chapters of his life and laugh about it show that. Your opinion on him as a broadcaster is seemingly different from my own, then again, I don't see him as often as an American baseball fan would.

BFIB

Theres not a lot I'd move Reyes or Weaver on, but if the Astros are serious about Bregman, that would be tempting.

JoseDFrog

Banned
I can't really stand Joe Buck calling baseball games, but tbh I haven't paid much attention recently to see if he's gotten better. I don't watch many NFL games but when I first heard him on one I was stunned; I enjoyed it. It was a level of enthusiasm that I hadn't seen from him.

It's not about homerism for me either, I cannot stand Michael Kay and Ken Singleton bores me to tears, the only good parts of the Yes telecast is when Paul O'neill or David Cone start saying dumb stuff. I always tune in to the SNY when they're playing the Mets.

BigAT, I want to mention that the point you raised about Joe Buck not caring for sports, he lays it out later in the interview that he doesn't watch much sports because he does have a family, a wife. He does other things, he doesn't let sports overrun his life even if he is in the industry it has birthed. And I don't blame him. Hell, I feel like I rely too much on sports, even though I'm 20 and in the (relative) prime of my life.

And I applaud him for that, I really do.

I can't really stand Joe Buck calling baseball games, but tbh I haven't paid much attention recently to see if he's gotten better. I don't watch many NFL games but when I first heard him on one I was stunned; I enjoyed it. It was a level of enthusiasm that I hadn't seen from him.

It's not about homerism for me either, I cannot stand Michael Kay and Ken Singleton bores me to tears, the only good parts of the Yes telecast is when Paul O'neill or David Cone start saying dumb stuff. I always tune in to the SNY when they're playing the Mets.

I do enjoy him on NFL broadcasts as well because he works well with Aikman. He's also a lot more sarcastic and witty on NFL broadcasts.

BFIB

Joe Buck realized he's never going to be his father, and basically stopped giving a shit on the comparison. I think a part of him loves to troll the lifelongs. He's the Hunter Pence of announcers.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Alright, who in Cards-GAF is gonna apply?

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/inst...s-cardinals-baseball-operations-fellowship-2/

Position: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Operations Fellowship

Description:
The St. Louis Cardinals baseball club is seeking candidates for a new Baseball Operations Fellowship position to be based out of the Jupiter, FL complex. The Fellowship position runs from early 2017 through December 31, 2017. It is a full-time position eligible for insurance consistent with a typical Cardinals full-time employee. Fellows will be compensated based on an hourly rate of pay competitive with similar entry level positions in baseball. This Fellowship position will be a one-year opportunity – Fellows will not return in the same position in 2018. At the end of the Fellowship, the Cardinals and Fellow will jointly determine if there is an appropriate opportunity for full-time employment within the Cardinals.

The Fellowship position is designed to provide entry-level baseball executives with an opportunity to gain experience mainly in the International and Player Development departments at the home of the Cardinals’ Spring Training, Extended Spring Training, Gulf Coast, Florida State, and Fall Instructional Leagues. While working at the direction of the Jupiter-based Directors of the International and Player Development departments, the Fellow will also provide occasional support to the St. Louis front office. This includes projects as called upon by senior leadership of Amateur Scouting, Baseball Development, and the General Manager’s office.

Responsibilities will be driven mostly by baseball activity taking place at the Jupiter complex and will be closely tied to interaction with Minor League players, many of which are international and require assistance in a foreign country. Native-level Spanish fluency is ideal with a high degree of proficiency as the minimum requirement. Duties will include, among others, serving as interpreter, translating documents, assisting on-field personnel with daily planning, supporting recently drafted players upon signing, maintenance of international scouting video, and organization of player immigration documents. Training will be provided for any scouting responsibilities associated with the role.

This is an exciting opportunity for entry-level people passionate about baseball and willing to start in a highly dynamic environment. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a strong work ethic, deep enthusiasm for international baseball, and high intellect to quickly adapt and implement on the go. The Fellowship will provide such a candidate with a broad range of experiences across Baseball Operations and the possibility of full-time employment.

Responsibilities:

Support Player Development Director with daily logistical player activity at Jupiter, Fla., complex.
Support International Ops department with analysis of foreign markets and scouting system data entry.
Support International and Player Development Directors in daily operation of departments.
Assist coaches and players with language interpretation at various meetings and team events.
Support St. Louis front office with projects as called upon by Amateur Scouting, Baseball Development, GM Office.
Communicate effectively with baseball operations staff.

Qualifications:

Bachelor’s degree.
Strong work ethic and initiative, demonstrated passion for baseball, good communication skills and ability to work effectively within team environment.
Read, write, and speak Spanish.
Experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Word).
Preferred candidates will have some experience around athletes either as player, coach, manager, SID, etc.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 51s51 seconds ago
Source: MLB and the MLBPA have agreed on a new collective-bargaining agreement. Labor peace in baseball will continue

Labor peace continues.Let the signingd begin!!

Malo

Banned
I think it's either Dodgers, Giants or Cubs. I think the appeal of being able to pitch and bat will be too tough for AL teams to contend.
An AL team could let him DH on days he doesn't pitch, NL teams can't offer that.

Joel Sherman

New CBA is agreed upon. Hear luxury tax threshold is going to start at about $195M rise to $210M-$215M over life of 5-yr deal, sources say
I don't see us getting under the luxury tax this offseason, it'll probably happen next offseason.

jbug617

Banned
No International Draft
@JonHeyman: No international draft, but int'l signings are said to be capped to 5-6M per team per year.

edit: No more 1st round picks for draft compensation
‏@JonHeyman: There will be free-agent compensation, but with a draft pick that isn't a 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom