• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

This is pretty funny -- my aunt posted this TBT on Facebook today. Me at 8 apparently with my cousins giving me smooches.

15304382_10209283351733452_5487327958042159560_o.jpg

I eventually got that hat signed by Orel Hershiser at an Orlando Magic game.. but someone stole it later in life. :*(

Good chance an international draft might've been better than this

Guess it probably depends on what the bonus pool would've looked like for the draft, though. $5m seems way way low though

Friggz

Good chance an international draft might've been better than this

Guess it probably depends on what the bonus pool would've looked like for the draft, though. $5m seems way way low though

it would have. this cap is much worse. i wish the international players were part of the union. the MLBPA has no problem fucking their rights.

Fox318

The Braves turning around and dumping a bunch of these prospects they've been piling up for Mike Trout would be the trade of the century. Would love to see it for the meltdowns.

What do you mean? Just for the crowds and such?

That's #1 on my bucket list. I just need a council member to let a Cards fan airbnb on their couch.

Right now in the winter its great. There isn't nearly the crowd that you get in the summer and there is so much to do in that area.

One of the local book shops folded (which is a shame) but it was replaced by a distillery which has a fucking fantastic Whiskey and Rum.

Plus you have skiing and snowmobiling in the area.

If you love baseball you will love the town though I will say most of the wearable merch (outside of the MLB and other licensed gear) has gotten worse. Too many screen print tees and shit.

Yeah let me go visit a baseball hall of fame that doesn't awknowledge the greatest baseball player of all time. I'll get right on that.

Last time I checked Babe Ruth's giant wooden statue was still there.

Malvingt2

Bill Shanks is reporting that the Braves are on the verge of a major trade that will "completely change their lineup" and that the player he's heard is someone that "no one would ever predict." He said he doesn't believe the trade will go down tonight, but that was before the news of the CBA being agreed on. Who knows.

oh? I do wonder...hmm

harSon

Banned
I'd deal in a heartbeat if it were Ross, Lopez, and Robles. Pirates should play hardball. Either up the offer, or fuck off with the artificial deadline of today just so the Nats can save money by DFAing Espinosa.

So, a complete list of the CBA changes, thanks to the users of /r/baseball:

- Sherman (on Twitter), the league will ban incoming MLB players from using smokeless tobacco, with existing players grandfathered in.
- AP: The All-Star Game will no longer determine home field advantage in the World Series. It now goes to pennant winner with best record.(Nightengale via Twitter)
- To accommodate additional off-days, meanwhile, the league will kick off the season in the middle of the week beginning in 2018, per Rosenthal (via Twitter).
Some of those days could go toward international marketing efforts. MLB intends to put on regular season games abroad as soon as 2018, Morosi tweets, with London and Mexico the most likely targets. The CBA is expected to accommodate that new addition.
- The Athletics “will be phased out as a revenue-sharing recipient over the next four years,” Rosenthal adds (via Twitter)
- The “performance factor” element of the revenue-sharing system will be removed, per Passan (Twitter links). That had functioned as what Passan terms a “revenue-sharing multiplier,” so its removal will likely mean that large-budget clubs are required to pay less into the pool.
- First-round picks will no longer be sacrificed in signings of QO-declining players, Jon Morosi of MLB Network tweets. These changes will not apply until the following offseason, Morosi notes on Twitter.
- All teams will stand to sacrifice draft picks if they sign players who declined qualifying offers, Stark tweets, but at varying levels. Organizations that are over the luxury tax line will punt a second and a fifth-round choice, while those who are under the threshold would stand to sacrifice a third-rounder.
- Importantly, players will no longer be able to receive more than a single qualifying offer, Rosenthal reports (Twitter links). Additionally, a team whose QO-declining player signs elsewhere will only receive compensation if that player signs for $50MM or more, and the draft compensation will be dependent upon the market size of the team that loses a free agent.
- Sub-luxury tax teams will stand to gain a third-round pick if they lose a qualified player — same as they’d lose to sign such a qualifying offer-declining player, Rosenthal suggests in a tweet. As for teams that are over the line, it’s not immediately clear how the rule will function. It would obviously be perverse were they to stand capable of recouping greater draft value, commensurate with the greater draft cost, since the whole point is to deter excess spending.
the luxury tax threshold will rise from $189MM to around $195MM in the 2017 season, Sherman further reports (links to Twitter). It’ll then reach $210MM over the five-year span
- There’s a new league-minimum salary: it’ll be $535K next year, $545K in 2018, and $555K in 2019. Then, “cost-of-living increases” will provide further bumps in the final two years of the agreement. That seems to be a rather modest rise; certainly, it does nothing to fundamentally shift the balance of earning power to newer major leaguers. - There are also some minor bumps in the MiLB minimum salary applicable to players making their second appearance on a 40-man roster.
- In the draft, there’ll be some changes in the spread of slot values; details remain unknown, but it seems there’ll be a more gradual decline than the currently steep fall after the first few picks
- Teams that go $40MM over the luxury tax line will see their top draft pick fall by ten spots.
- The Initial International bonus pool will actually be $4.75MM. Notably, teams can trade all of the new international bonus allotments, per Passan (Twitter links). Alternatively, they may boost their spending by adding up to 75% of their initial spending capacity. For example, if a small-market team has a $5.75M pool -- they are determined by revenue, BTW -- it can trade for ~$4.3M in int’l money (per Passan on Twitter.)
- 3-1 lead
- The A’s slice of revenue sharing will go to 75%, then 50%, then 25% over the next three years before disappearing.
- There will be some changes to the Joint Drug Agreement, including additional testing. Notably, players will not be able to accrue service time during any period they are suspended, which serves as a fairly significant additional deterrent. Finally, there’ll now be “biomarker testing for HGH.”
- Players now will have ten days, instead of seven, to consider a qualifying offer.
via Nightengale (Twitter) The tax rate for teams exceeding luxury tax: 20% (1st time), 30% (2nd time), 50% (3rd time). For teams going $20M to $40M over,add extra 12%
Via Twitter and u/GodEmperorBrian Don't forget the 15 day DL is now the 10 day DL
- Age limits on international players covered by the International Player Cap in the new CBA is rising from 23 to 25. This was via Sherman on Twitter
Baseball season in regular days goes from 183 to 187, so slightly longer. Still 162 games played.
- Players now get 2 seats per person on Spring Training Buses (per Passan on twitter)
- Via Lester (on Twitter) Pitchers still have to throw to first base.

I hope it's Giolito and Robles.

Robles for Cutch straight up would be an equitable trade. Robles is my top prospect in all of baseball, kid is a stud.

Robles, Lopez and a third (which is what the Pirates are asking) would be fucking robbery.

I hope it doesn't happen because playing Cutch who's career would 100% revive there 32 times a year would be fucking brutal.

But I could definitely see it getting done soon if the Nats are desperate for CF production.

Beckx

owners signing talent from Latin America (though are there really that many players signed in that age group? I agree it's really weird, are there any powerful owners who won't have money for Ohtani until then :p).

There’s a new league-minimum salary: it’ll be $535K next year, $545K in 2018, and $555K in 2019. Then, “cost-of-living increases” will provide further bumps in the final two years of the agreement. That seems to be a rather modest rise; certainly, it does nothing to fundamentally shift the balance of earning power to newer major leaguers. - There are also some minor bumps in the MiLB minimum salary applicable to players making their second appearance on a 40-man roster.]

Goddamn. I wish my job gave me a $10K raise every year. I'm in the wrong field of work. How hard is it to become a professional baseball player at the age of 29 with no prior baseball experience?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Goddamn. I wish my job gave me a $10K raise every year. I'm in the wrong field of work. How hard is it to become a professional baseball player at the age of 29 with no prior baseball experience?

Can you pitch left handed with reasonable accuracy?

Malvingt2

The Braves have struck a deal to acquire veteran left-hander Jaime Garcia from the Cardinals in exchange for prospects, Mark Saxon of ESPN.com reports.

WUT

The Braves have struck a deal to acquire veteran left-hander Jaime Garcia from the Cardinals in exchange for prospects, Mark Saxon of ESPN.com reports.

WUT

I'll miss Jaime when hes right, wont miss when hes not. And the latter is more common than the former

The Cardinals had too many pitchers anyway. Hope they got some good prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom