• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to cost a lot I'd imagine. Starts with Soler, after being denied Schwarber, Bryant, or Russell of course.

That's the Cards issue. Any trade starts with Reyes, and we don't have near as many pieces.

Why would anyone want Soler? At least as a center piece. He hasn't shown anything in parts of 3 seasons.

Happ is probably the best trade piece the Cubs have that they'd realistically be okay with moving. Solar would be a part of any package but he's not as good of a piece as Happ, who's hopelessly blocked.

Happ is probably the best trade piece the Cubs have that they'd realistically be okay with moving. Solar would be a part of any package but he's not as good of a piece as Happ, who's hopelessly blocked.
Eloy Jimenez is probably going to be in some top 20 lists for all of the MLB at the start of the season. He will probably have Torres like value.

Soler probably has more value than most people think.

4yrs/$15m (or arbitration, but dunno that he'd even make more money in that) for an oft injured bad defensive corner outfielder who's been worth ~1 WAR per 600 PA for his career? Most teams could probably find a AAAA guy to do it for league minimum.

I guess he's young. He's got that going for him. Not much else besides his minor league PA, which numerically are very close to his MLB PA. Its not like he has a long track record in the minors.

Maybe a team will bite on promise alone, but it's hard to see him being the centerpiece of any deal.

i just have no faith whatsoever in him staying healthy/good for any decent amount of innings in one season, let alone 2 or 3. then again, he wouldn't have to pitch that many innings to earn 40+ million.

you're right though, i was looking at fangraphs crowdsourcing numbers and i probably underestimated what he'll get.

well obviously but that's part of the risk. If you knew he was healthy he'd get 5 years/$100 million + instead of having to settle for 2 or 3.

4yrs/$15m (or arbitration, but dunno that he'd even make more money in that) for an oft injured bad defensive corner outfielder who's been worth ~1 WAR per 600 PA for his career? Most teams could probably find a AAAA guy to do it for league minimum.

I guess he's young. He's got that going for him. Not much else besides his minor league PA, which numerically are very close to his MLB PA. Its not like he has a long track record in the minors.

Maybe a team will bite on promise alone, but it's hard to see him being the centerpiece of any deal.

he's definitely not good enough to be the main piece for archer or anything like that, but you're underselling him. the interest with him is based on a potential breakout. he's going to have a hit a ton to make up for his awful defense, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him bust out and suddenly be a .900 ops guy. his major league production hasn't lived up to his minor league success yet, but he also hasn't been terrible at the plate. i personally think he probably sucks, but the potential is still very enticing.

well obviously but that's part of the risk. If you knew he was healthy he'd get 5 years/$100 million + instead of having to settle for 2 or 3.

but he isn't just your typical health risk. he's 37 and hasn't been able to stay healthy for the past decade. if you're signing him, you're basically hoping that you can baby him enough so he's healthy when the playoffs start. it's not just unlikely that he'll able to handle a decently sized workload, it's almost certain that he won't.

but he isn't just your typical health risk. he's 37 and hasn't been able to stay healthy for the past decade. if you're signing him, you're basically hoping that you can baby him enough so he's healthy when the playoffs start. it's not just unlikely that he'll able to handle a decently sized workload, it's almost certain that he won't.

True, but I think multiple teams would pay for that, especially if they are only having to invest 3/4 starter type money. What he's likely to make is like, Mike Leake money. Who would you rather have for the next 3 years (warts and all), MIke Leake or Rich Hill?

Beckx

it sounds like NH is playing hardball with teams that won't trade a top prospect.

which he should, there is no reason to unload a favorable contract immediately in return for nothing. can always do that next year.

i feel like the pirates are going to make a terrible trade

i felt like that until i heard the Nats talks were not going well. now i'm mildly optimistic it won't be awful.

but tbh it's clear they've made the decision not to compete for a while.

Parch

Edwin's agent saying how disappointed he is that Jays signed Pearce. You had an offer. You rejected it. So now the Jays went elsewhere. Deal with it.

If you listen to sports radio the Jays are interested in everybody, but it seems like the team is still not willing to open the vault to overpay and happy to settle for leftovers, even though they're selling out the ballpark and probably could spend big. I'll believe the Fowler talks were serious only if it happens.

If the Jays are happy to settle for leftovers, does that mean Bautista is once again a possibility?

Edwin's agent saying how disappointed he is that Jays signed Pearce. You had an offer. You rejected it. So now the Jays went elsewhere. Deal with it.

If you listen to sports radio the Jays are interested in everybody, but it seems like the team is still not willing to open the vault to overpay and happy to settle for leftovers, even though they're selling out the ballpark and probably could spend big. I'll believe the Fowler talks were serious only if it happens.

If the Jays are happy to settle for leftovers, does that mean Bautista is once again a possibility?

Story of the Jays under Rogers ownership. They want to act like a small market team when they are owned by the top three richest owners in all of MLB.

It's getting frustrating as a fan when you know that the Jays could easily spend to be the best team they possibly could be. And yet Rogers penny pinches every single time.

I'm not sure Pearce closes the book on Edwin, he could fill in one of those outfield spots, I guess. He's also a better option than Smoak.

Some previews of what we might expect when it comes to Under Armour being the uniform designer now:

Reed022213-22_image_1024w.jpg

NotreDameCavanBiggio10212.jpg

397184.jpg

harSon

Banned
i feel like the pirates are going to make a terrible trade

I don't think we will. There's no reason to trade a player of McCutchen's potential whose under team control for two more seasons at an absolute steal of a price for anything but a large return. We have plenty of time to trade him, and if he rebounds like many people expect he will, then the going price is only going to go up from here.

harSon

Banned
Giants? Never really liked Melancon anyways. I wish the Pirates had the money to spend 15m/yr on a 35 year old closer.

jbug617

Banned
Nats going to go all in on Sale
http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/heyman-nationals-stepping-efforts-sale-red-sox-interested/

The Washington Nationals lost their closer from the end of last season, as Mark Melancon has agreed to a deal to become the newest San Francisco Giants’ ninth-inning man. However, they could be stepping up their efforts to land a big-name starter instead.

The Nationals are stepping up their attempts to land Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale, and may not be the only team doing so. The Boston Red Sox, among others, also remain involved.

Both the Nationals and Red Sox appear to have the prospect wealth to make such a deal happen. While the Nationals are unlikely to be convinced to part ways with Trea Turner, they have several other highly-ranked prospects that could be made available, including Lucas Giolito (MLB Pipeline #3), Victor Robles (#10), Reynaldo Lopez (#37), and Erick Fedde (#75).

Washington’s interest in not just Sale, but other potentially-available stars, has been noted before.

The Red Sox also remain an intriguing option as another team with a large stock of prospects, though the availability of those prospects remains in question. Yoan Moncada, the top prospect in all of baseball, leads a list that also includes Andrew Benintendi (#5), Rafael Devers (#16), Jason Groome (#30), and Michael Kopech (#67), a flame-throwing right-hander who impressed during the year’s Arizona Fall League.

White Sox want 4 can't miss prospects for Sale according to Reinsdorf

Choomp

Banned
Wasn't it Lucroy who said he was playing for the US and not Posey? Seeing Posey in all these official announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom