• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anime related: I heard Yamcha is back playing baseball in Dragon Ball Super too. He strikes me as a player who would get non tendered though haha.

The next DBS episode is actually a baseball episode.

nsixC7F.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Mark BowmanVerified account
‏@mlbbowman

As for Sale, here's essentially a summary of the talks thus far:
White Sox: Any deal needs to include Swanson
Braves: Have a nice day.

Good, good

Sale's mechanics aren't something you would teach to a youngster, but they are repeatable and he has been healthy. So who really cares what it looks like.

NY Post said:
Under Armour just made the big leagues.

Major League Baseball inked a deal with the sports apparel maker to provide all uniforms, starting in 2020, sources said.

Current uniform supplier, Majestic Athletic — which has held the license since 2005, will remain in place for the next three seasons.

Terms were not disclosed.

The Under Armour deal will also sideline rival Nike, which has made the under layer shirts for MLB players since 2009.

Under Armour has multiple endorsement deals with individual athletes, including Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper, but it has never had a professional sports uniform gig until now.

Under Armour’s rise comes as Majestic’s star is fading.

The MLB business represents the lion’s share of Majestic’s portfolio, said NPD Group sports analyst Matt Powell, adding,“It’s the end of an era for Majestic,” which has had a licensing relationship with MLB since the 1980s, when it started to make batting practice jerseys. It has made the uniforms since 2005.

The 40-year-old company was founded by the Capobianco family and was bought in 2007 by VF Corp. — owner of The North Face, Timberland and Wrangler brands,
among others.

VF announced in March that it was exploring strategic alternatives for its $500 million Licensed Sports Group, which includes Majestic.

Fanatics, which got the wholesale portion of the MLB deal alongside Under Armour, according to sources, was rumored to be interested in Majestic.

Fanatics has denied the reports and did not return calls for comment.

Under Armour and MLB also declined to comment on the deal, first reported by Sports Business Daily.

Majestic, which makes uniforms in Easton, Pa., for MLB and for colleges, employs about 500 workers. Their contract expires in 2019.

Labor officials told the Baltimore Sun that they plan to fight for those jobs regardless of who has the MLB licensing rights

Reported a few montha ago.

I wouldn't be surprised then, Dmn, if what Creamer reported is simply an 'official' reiterating of what was done up in the NY Post.

Or it could be a logo change, I dunno. If it is uniform change that eventually ties back into branding, I nominate the Brewers going back to their 80's gloved M logo.

I wouldn't be surprised then, Dmn, if what Creamer reported is simply an 'official' reiterating of what was done up in the NY Post.

Or it could be a logo change, I dunno. If it is uniform change that eventually ties back into branding, I nominate the Brewers going back to their 80's gloved M logo.

When are Padres gonna return to brown unis?

BigAT

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Source confirms Matt Holliday has a one-year, $13M deal with the Yankees. Great fit. @YankeesWFAN had it first.

TraBuch

Banned
awe come on... the white sox farm isn't very good, they need some help :p

you have to give up something to get something.

obviously 3 years of one of the 5 best left handers in the game isn't gonna be cheap :p
But it's not something I want. The fuck does a bad team need an ace for?

But it's not something I want. The fuck does a bad team need an ace for?

Probably won't be bad in 2017. No way they contend for the division, but I could see them maybe in the discussion for a Wild Card spot. They were 50-47 in their last 97 games in 2016. The lineup and bullpen became pretty good in the second half. Starting pitching was atrocious.

Also, remember they are opening a new stadium and need to sell tickets for the games Bartolo Colon won't be pitching in.

CygnusXS

obviously 3 years of one of the 5 best left handers in the game isn't gonna be cheap :p
The flaw in the logic is that we don't actually want Chris Sale.

Mortemis

Banned
I think a package with Albies in it could get Archer, and that sounds to me a much better fit for Atl. I think the white Sox will keep Sale, unless the Red Sox play ball. I'm not sure any other team would want to pay the price.

zulux21

The flaw in the logic is that we don't actually want Chris Sale.

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want chris sale.
I assume you also don't want mike trout then and you just enjoy watching your team suck? (yes mike trout is the better player, but sale is still one of the best starters in the game)

I can get not wanting chris sale for the asking price he would require, but outright not wanting chris sale.... that makes no sense.

RBH

But I don't want Chris Sale though.

Honestly, not sure I even want Archer at this point.

Just doesn't make much sense to me to trade for an ace when this team is still more than a few pieces away from legitimately contending imo.

CygnusXS

I'm willing to trade Albies because his lack of power means that his hit tool really needs to play up, and if he's limited to 2B for us, then his value isn't *that* high. And his recently fractured elbow isn't great.

But I don't think they should be moving multiple high talent players yet. Just wait one more year.

Malo

Banned
I'm not really sure why you wouldn't want chris sale.
I assume you also don't want mike trout then and you just enjoy watching your team suck? (yes mike trout is the better player, but sale is still one of the best starters in the game)

I can get not wanting chris sale for the asking price he would require, but outright not wanting chris sale.... that makes no sense.
It doesn't make sense for teams like the braves and Yankees to trade for Sale. Both teams are in the middle of a rebuild and aren't one player away from contending.

Go fleece the red sox please.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

If the braves were a piece away from being a world series contender then sure, but the braves are not in that position.

zulux21

But I don't want Chris Sale though.

Honestly, not sure I even want Archer at this point.

Just doesn't make much sense to me to trade for an ace when this team is still more than a few pieces away from legitimately contending imo.

given how the braves finished last year, if they can continue that production and add in an ace, there is a good chance they finish 10 games over .500 next year which would likely be enough to be in the running for a wild card spot until the end.

once you get to the playoffs the series are basically a coin flip anyways so as long as you can get there you have plenty of a chance to win it all.

really you would be best just holding onto your talent, and waiting a few more years, but most front offices don't typically have the patience they get close and they pull the trigger.

It doesn't make sense for teams like the braves and Yankees to trade for Sale. Both teams are in the middle of a rebuild and aren't one player away from contending.

Go fleece the red sox please.

really, I wouldn't like seeing sale on the yankees anyways even if they paid a ton for him :p
quite frankly I hope the yankee's rebuild lasts a while and replaces the cub's record for longest time between world series wins :p

I'd totally be up for fleecing the red sox though :p

TraBuch

Banned
Probably won't be bad in 2017. No way they contend for the division, but I could see them maybe in the discussion for a Wild Card spot. They were 50-47 in their last 97 games in 2016. The lineup and bullpen became pretty good in the second half. Starting pitching was atrocious.

Also, remember they are opening a new stadium and need to sell tickets for the games Bartolo Colon won't be pitching in.
Second half was a fluke. Kemp probably won't hit that well again. Inciarte was going crazy. Adonis Garcia was hitting way above his talent level. Hell, as good as Freddie is, it's pretty unlikely that he's as good as he hit in the second half. I'm gonna say he won't have a 200 wRC+ over an entire season. Tyler Flowers played way above his talent level in the second half. For some reason, every starter on the team except for Jace Peterson decided to start hitting like an all-star in the second half.

Don't let the second half fool you. This is still a bad team with some major holes on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom